Used 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Thunderbird

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )

Solid
By dntwry

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it new in 97, It was originally mine, and I have given it to my son. We both agree on what will be said right now. For 22k it's a great car. The engine could have been put together a little better, easier to get to parts. We had to replace the heater core, and it was a royal pain to get to. Also for it being a RWD V8, you would think you could go a little faster. Smooth ride, classy car, powerful, and great moon roof. Gas mileage could be a little better. It's around 17-18 MPG.

Favorite Features

RWD power, moon roof, upgraded speed rated tires, leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, higher speed governor, heater core easier to get to.

God I Miss This Car
By Dr. Brett Schmitz

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 2000 before I went off to college. It had 107,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Drove it back and forth 90 miles each way for 5 years of college. Awesome fuel mileage (just a tick under 30mpg) the entire time I owned it. Handled excellent and in the 6 years and 60,000 miles that I owned it I had to replace a mass airflow sensor, tires, and a ball joint. This car was phoenomenally reliable and fun to drive! My only gripe with the car the entire time I owned it was that the driverside window never like to roll up properly and eventually came out of the track. I wish I still owned this car but I unfortunately sold it to my neice and she crashed it 3 days later:

Favorite Features

Fuel mileage, suspension, price, reliability, quality, comfort of the seats, and of course turning radius! There are really too many positives about this car to list.

Suggested Improvements

Well unfortunately Ford no longer produces the 2 door awesome version of this car, but if they did(which is one of the suggestions), I would have to say fix the window issues and please make a CD player and sunroof standard on every one you make. Oh yeah and heated seats. Otherwise my best car ever!

Great car!
By kyle

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

The best car we ever owned. Bought with 90,000 now has 147,000 nothing major but basic maintenance. Found one for my daughter, same yr. 90,000. It has a safe crash and safety for younger teens. We live on a 2 lane hwy. Makes me feel safe with her in it. They need to bring it back. Good gas mileage 25 hwy on cruise control.

Favorite Features

Safety, comfort, style

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back Ford, what are you thinking

1997 Thunderbird LX V8
By Mark

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Best car I have ever owned. Ford has shown reliability with this car. No problems with almost 79,000 miles. 4.6 Liter V8 is peppy when you need it, but the gas mileage is only OK (I average about 15-18 mpg in the city). Two of the most favorite things about this car is the auto headlamps (never have to touch) and the moonroof. This car will outlast any Toyota or Honda on the road today!

Favorite Features

V8 engine, comfortable interior, automatic headlamps, moonroof, 4-wheel disc brakes.

Suggested Improvements

If it was still made, I would suggest standard ABS brakes, optional chrome wheels on the LX, and multi disc CD player.

Fords best car ever made
By Hector Delgado

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

This is car is the best, I have owned 7 dated since the 89 Sc to the most recent 97 LX. I use my car for work, I am a P.I. and have used this type of vehicle for my job. The car is dependable and fast, neither one of the cars I have had have given me problems, do the maintanence as required and the car will last forever. The car has made me money as well, each car I have sold has made me a profit to purchase another like it. This one I have now has all the features, traction control, sunroof and the 17 inch chrome blade stock wheels from the factory. Simply I won't change the car for another unless it is a another T-bird. Thanks Ford for a great car!

Favorite Features

Sunroof, 17 inch wheels and traction control.

Suggested Improvements

Please Ford Bring back the Awesome Bird.