1997 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )
They need to build it again
By oscar arechiga on 02/26/08 19:04 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Great design in and out, V8 makes good power even at todays standards, there are very few cars that have the personality of this vehicle, have had mine for 10 years 61000 miles and not thinking of getting rid of it, car has been very reliable,only complaint is a rattling noise coming from undrneat , (dealer says there is nothing wrong with the suspension, other than that this car makes heads turn, even 10 years after last year of production, ford needs to build a modern vertion,with a similar body style, but modern suspension an a 5 speed auto.

Best Investment I Made
By S. Funk on 11/29/07 02:17 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I am the original owner and have had no major problems, just normal wear and tear. I love the way my T-Bird downshifts automatically...great in traffic! The dealership offered a rebate which I invested in the dash...woodgrain...really enhanced the look. Also added a dash cover. A very dependable car that I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

Crazy About Mine!
By Crazy About Mine! on 09/05/07 13:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

This car is great! Handles perfectly around curves at 60mph. It has a less than sporty feel, but you don't lose a lot.

Ten Years of Reliable Transportation
By Cathy Bruno on 08/26/07 11:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Very comfortable, reliable transportation. Good body integrity. Any problems have been related to normal wear and tear. Spacious trunk.

Best car I've ever owned!
By Jeff on 08/18/06 13:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this used with 10,000 miles on it. It now has 205,000 and still rides and performs like it did the day I bought it. Other than replacing the manifold, radiator, and torque converter, all I've done to it is change the oil and replace the plugs and wires. Great car!

Marks T-Bird
By mark lewis on 06/26/06 11:21 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I an the only owner of this car and it has been a total gem for me. I have only had to do the expected maintenance on it in addition to replacing the radiator and exhaust manifold at about 75,000 miles. I recently replaced the serpentine belt and alternator. I use only premium fuel and have gotten from 21 to 26 mpg. I feel that my car is a classic and worth a lot more than what the book might say.

1997 Thunderbird
By Kerry on 04/24/06 19:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I drove this car for seven years without a single problem. I wish they still built this car. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. It has 154,000 miles on it and still rides, drives excellent.

Bluebird of Happiness
By bobbydee on 02/02/06 22:02 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought the car because I had a '87 Bird and liked it. Also liked the metallic blue paint. Have been a road warrior in it for 8 years and love everything about it. Had to put a radiator in as well as normal maintenance, but nothing really major. I really wish I could buy a new one but the model line has gone away.

Sporty little car
By Angie on 08/30/05 22:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

We bought this car when it was about two years old. It had around 29,000 miles on it. My husband still has it and it is being handed down to my teenage daughter. My son put fake sporty things on the hood (I'm not into those things but it makes it look like the car has a powerful engine.) Anyway, my husband replaced the CD player with another one. Well, that was a mistake. Every time you went over a bump, it starts the music all over again. Anyway, this car has 87,000 miles on it now. The body of the car is pretty good still. No rust or anything like that. It has a moon roof (which isn't used much). We have had quite a few compliments on the car (one being a couple days ago).

Best Value for Money
By CNN on 02/06/05 23:28 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it in 1997 brand new; fell in love with it on test drive; forgot about all the other cars I test drove. Very smooth, very comfortable, great looking car for a very reasonable price. At 7+ years, it still looks and feels new! This car has spoiled me. No trouble at all after all these years.