1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )
200,000 and Still going Strong
By Barbara on 07/07/10 08:28 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new in 1997 and just passed the 200,000 mile mark. The car starts every time, even if it sits for a month at a time without starting. The engine is fantastic and except for usual maintenance, the engine & transmission are in perfect condition. You can't beat an American made 8 cylinder. I have never owned anything but fords - 4 mustangs, 1 Thunderbird, 1 focus, 1 escape and next on to the fusion. Just wish it was 2 door.

Great first car for the price
By Ominous on 05/28/10 23:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Very helpful hint here! Only use supreme with the car. I get around 20 mpg city! I think it's worth it. Bought the car with 57,000 miles on it and runs great. The person I bought it from did not take good care of the vehicle but I have. The car is fun to drive and kinda fast. The car is really heavy though. Other than that the comfort of the leather seats and the handling is great. I can take turns at 60 mph with ease. Great car overall and I am planning on improving it even more

Nothing Like It
By lastbird97 on 01/16/10 15:58 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it off the lot fully loaded in 1997 on a whim and still loving it 13 years later. The V8, Traction assist, 16' wheels, antilock brakes and suspension make all the difference on this model. Detailing, Regular maintenance and keeping up with service bulletins has kept it in near showroom condition. The leather Interior, Sunroof, CD Player and temperature control system makes it as comfortable as my Limited Grand Cherokee. The styling still feels contemporary and the spoiler on the rear deck adds a nice touch to the cars shape.

3 TIMES A CHARM
By MIASTYLE/MIAYAYO on 07/28/09 19:30 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

this is my 3rd T-Bird, 93,96 now a 97, i have literally taking this car around the country and back. i keep up with the oil, tires, sparkplugs, suspension, oil again b.c that's the best thing you can do, i just recently changed my manifold, break booster, starter, belts, bearings in the differential. i want this car to last another 5 years, currently i am at 140k mi, as long as you stay up on the maintenance @ ALL TIMES, you will be good to go, hiway gas mi is great, city mi is terrible, not to mention a lot of the work can be done urself if you have the time and tools, this car is great for a young whipper snapper looking for there 1st car, my nex project is to maybe paint it,

The Beast
By MikePineapple on 01/17/09 16:20 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I've owned my Thunderbird now for almost 8 years. Actually bought it off a brother in law in need of some quick cash. Has been used as a daily driver to and from work now ever since. Now keep in mind I don't really keep up with this car, it's just pretty much get up and go. I've taken it on long trips to several towns and could honestly say I've only changed the oil on it about twice since I've owned it. It rattles(suspension) and drinks gasoline like a beast but I've grown very fond of this car. This year was actually planning on selling it but instead have decided to give it some TLC and repaint the car. This car doesn't ask for a thing, and even if it did. I'd bet it'd keep going till it exploded.

Solid
By dntwry on 06/29/08 07:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it new in 97, It was originally mine, and I have given it to my son. We both agree on what will be said right now. For 22k it's a great car. The engine could have been put together a little better, easier to get to parts. We had to replace the heater core, and it was a royal pain to get to. Also for it being a RWD V8, you would think you could go a little faster. Smooth ride, classy car, powerful, and great moon roof. Gas mileage could be a little better. It's around 17-18 MPG.

God I Miss This Car
By Dr. Brett Schmitz on 06/13/08 13:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car in 2000 before I went off to college. It had 107,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Drove it back and forth 90 miles each way for 5 years of college. Awesome fuel mileage (just a tick under 30mpg) the entire time I owned it. Handled excellent and in the 6 years and 60,000 miles that I owned it I had to replace a mass airflow sensor, tires, and a ball joint. This car was phoenomenally reliable and fun to drive! My only gripe with the car the entire time I owned it was that the driverside window never like to roll up properly and eventually came out of the track. I wish I still owned this car but I unfortunately sold it to my neice and she crashed it 3 days later:

Great car!
By kyle on 05/29/08 15:13 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

The best car we ever owned. Bought with 90,000 now has 147,000 nothing major but basic maintenance. Found one for my daughter, same yr. 90,000. It has a safe crash and safety for younger teens. We live on a 2 lane hwy. Makes me feel safe with her in it. They need to bring it back. Good gas mileage 25 hwy on cruise control.

1997 Thunderbird LX V8
By Mark on 04/21/08 21:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Best car I have ever owned. Ford has shown reliability with this car. No problems with almost 79,000 miles. 4.6 Liter V8 is peppy when you need it, but the gas mileage is only OK (I average about 15-18 mpg in the city). Two of the most favorite things about this car is the auto headlamps (never have to touch) and the moonroof. This car will outlast any Toyota or Honda on the road today!

Fords best car ever made
By Hector Delgado on 03/06/08 13:19 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

This is car is the best, I have owned 7 dated since the 89 Sc to the most recent 97 LX. I use my car for work, I am a P.I. and have used this type of vehicle for my job. The car is dependable and fast, neither one of the cars I have had have given me problems, do the maintanence as required and the car will last forever. The car has made me money as well, each car I have sold has made me a profit to purchase another like it. This one I have now has all the features, traction control, sunroof and the 17 inch chrome blade stock wheels from the factory. Simply I won't change the car for another unless it is a another T-bird. Thanks Ford for a great car!

1 2 3 4 5 next »