Used 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (50 reviews )

200,000 and Still going Strong
By Barbara

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new in 1997 and just passed the 200,000 mile mark. The car starts every time, even if it sits for a month at a time without starting. The engine is fantastic and except for usual maintenance, the engine & transmission are in perfect condition. You can't beat an American made 8 cylinder. I have never owned anything but fords - 4 mustangs, 1 Thunderbird, 1 focus, 1 escape and next on to the fusion. Just wish it was 2 door.

Favorite Features

The engine

Suggested Improvements

This car no longer in production. I want the Fusion next, however, I hate 4 door cars.

Great first car for the price
By Ominous

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Very helpful hint here! Only use supreme with the car. I get around 20 mpg city! I think it's worth it. Bought the car with 57,000 miles on it and runs great. The person I bought it from did not take good care of the vehicle but I have. The car is fun to drive and kinda fast. The car is really heavy though. Other than that the comfort of the leather seats and the handling is great. I can take turns at 60 mph with ease. Great car overall and I am planning on improving it even more

Favorite Features

interior, leather seats, handling, trunk space

Suggested Improvements

make the car lighter for a better power to weight ratio

Nothing Like It
By lastbird97

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it off the lot fully loaded in 1997 on a whim and still loving it 13 years later. The V8, Traction assist, 16' wheels, antilock brakes and suspension make all the difference on this model. Detailing, Regular maintenance and keeping up with service bulletins has kept it in near showroom condition. The leather Interior, Sunroof, CD Player and temperature control system makes it as comfortable as my Limited Grand Cherokee. The styling still feels contemporary and the spoiler on the rear deck adds a nice touch to the cars shape.

Favorite Features

There's a reason why they put this engine in police cars....... High mileage hasn't affected it's performance at all.

Suggested Improvements

Put the best High speed rated tires on this car, fill it with 93 octane, find a nice open road and enjoy the ride.

3 TIMES A CHARM
By MIASTYLE/MIAYAYO

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

this is my 3rd T-Bird, 93,96 now a 97, i have literally taking this car around the country and back. i keep up with the oil, tires, sparkplugs, suspension, oil again b.c that's the best thing you can do, i just recently changed my manifold, break booster, starter, belts, bearings in the differential. i want this car to last another 5 years, currently i am at 140k mi, as long as you stay up on the maintenance @ ALL TIMES, you will be good to go, hiway gas mi is great, city mi is terrible, not to mention a lot of the work can be done urself if you have the time and tools, this car is great for a young whipper snapper looking for there 1st car, my nex project is to maybe paint it,

Favorite Features

its a low key car, not to fancy and with its year, doesn't really seem outdated, it has that low profile mean look when you have wide tires on it, you can trick it out as well, music, no higher than 21" rims, hi beam lites, etc, it all works or you can keep it original.

Suggested Improvements

better suspension and gas mileage

The Beast
By MikePineapple

1997 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I've owned my Thunderbird now for almost 8 years. Actually bought it off a brother in law in need of some quick cash. Has been used as a daily driver to and from work now ever since. Now keep in mind I don't really keep up with this car, it's just pretty much get up and go. I've taken it on long trips to several towns and could honestly say I've only changed the oil on it about twice since I've owned it. It rattles(suspension) and drinks gasoline like a beast but I've grown very fond of this car. This year was actually planning on selling it but instead have decided to give it some TLC and repaint the car. This car doesn't ask for a thing, and even if it did. I'd bet it'd keep going till it exploded.

Favorite Features

Powerful, reliable, great passing power. Future collectors item with the V8 engine.

Suggested Improvements

The interior looks cheap. Needs more meat on the tires. Undersized wheels I think.