Used 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Thunderbird

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (52 reviews )

Great car when givin' TLC
By Simon Black

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

This is a car Iv'e had for 7 years now. Only 118,000 miles, and has plenty of life left. Only odd issue I had was a transmisson failure. But besides that I can work on almost anything on this car. Can't afford a new one now, but will be hoping to get a couple of more years of life out of it before I can get something newer. The Japanese models don't do it for me. The seats are far more comfy than the foreign models. Would like a Charger, or maybe a Crown Vic next.

Great car
By Trevon

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I was born in 97. My mom got this car when I was born she drove it everyday as a family car it was just me, her and my brother. Once she got a new car my brother drove it now I'm driving it and the only thing that's really wrong with it is that it needs a paint job. Now I drive it and even though I love mustang this is still one of my favorite cars. I love speed the only thing I wish this car had was more speed but anyway I'll never get rid of this car for any other car.

200,000 and Still going Strong
By Barbara

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car brand new in 1997 and just passed the 200,000 mile mark. The car starts every time, even if it sits for a month at a time without starting. The engine is fantastic and except for usual maintenance, the engine & transmission are in perfect condition. You can't beat an American made 8 cylinder. I have never owned anything but fords - 4 mustangs, 1 Thunderbird, 1 focus, 1 escape and next on to the fusion. Just wish it was 2 door.

The engine

This car no longer in production. I want the Fusion next, however, I hate 4 door cars.

Great first car for the price
By Ominous

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Very helpful hint here! Only use supreme with the car. I get around 20 mpg city! I think it's worth it. Bought the car with 57,000 miles on it and runs great. The person I bought it from did not take good care of the vehicle but I have. The car is fun to drive and kinda fast. The car is really heavy though. Other than that the comfort of the leather seats and the handling is great. I can take turns at 60 mph with ease. Great car overall and I am planning on improving it even more

interior, leather seats, handling, trunk space

make the car lighter for a better power to weight ratio

Nothing Like It
By lastbird97

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it off the lot fully loaded in 1997 on a whim and still loving it 13 years later. The V8, Traction assist, 16' wheels, antilock brakes and suspension make all the difference on this model. Detailing, Regular maintenance and keeping up with service bulletins has kept it in near showroom condition. The leather Interior, Sunroof, CD Player and temperature control system makes it as comfortable as my Limited Grand Cherokee. The styling still feels contemporary and the spoiler on the rear deck adds a nice touch to the cars shape.

There's a reason why they put this engine in police cars....... High mileage hasn't affected it's performance at all.

Put the best High speed rated tires on this car, fill it with 93 octane, find a nice open road and enjoy the ride.