1996 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Review: So long, Bluebird

1996 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Review

LX Coupe (3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic)

So long, Bluebird
By Sandi on

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I special-ordered this car back in Oct '95. Took delivery 2 days after Valentine's Day in 1996, and man, has this car been a sweetheart. Smooth, quiet, stylish, and with the Sport Suspension, fun as heck to drive. This car has been my faithful companion, and ten years later, I'm still getting regular compliments on the gorgeous Moonlight Blue paint job. The only major problem has been the intake manifold, Ford replaced it once under pressure of the threat of a class-action lawsuit. The manifold has cracked again, and due to the age of the vehicle, my family and friends are all urging me to replace it. My heart wants to pay for the repairs, but its time to put Bluebird out to pasture.

Favorite Features

Quiet, comfortable ride! I've ridden in the Lexus sedans, and my $20k car compares VERY favorably in this area.

Suggested Improvements

The &*#@!* cupholders! What braniac engineer put hinges on the SIDE of the console between the seats, which means to access the (only) cupholders, the passenger has to reach OVER the open console lid. Insane!