Used 1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (55 reviews )

bulletproff
By pirateheadman

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

What a great car! The 4.6 V-8 gets good mileage (20-24mpg) and is bulletproof. It's the same drivetrain as the police Crown Vics. I have done nothing but replace spark plugs once and install an alternator in 155,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Engine, interior, exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

A little more headroom and a shock to hold up the deck lid when equipped with a spoiler.

Love my Red T-Bird
By lou

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought my T-Bird in '96 as a dealer demo with 8,000 miles. It has 88,900 now with no major problems, looks and runs like a dream. I love this car, and can tell if there are any problems coming up just by the "feel"...you T-Bird owners know what I mean. Just bought a 2001 Taurus; was going to trade the T-Bird in, but when I saw them start to take her away, I choked up and changed my mind. Now I have a Taurus and the T-bird. I'm going to drive the Taurus in the winter.

Favorite Features

The long red body, it still looks fresh and sporty. The responsive engine.

Suggested Improvements

The check engine light has been on since the first day I drove it home. Will that thing ever burn out? Also tired of spinning out in the winter, bought another car to drive in Michigan snowstorms.

Red Bird
By Red Bird

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

It's the mix of a Crown Vic and a Mustang. Great car for highway use and road trips. However it's not so good around town in the city due to its size and rather poor city mileage. It's stuck in that not so great niche between sports car and luxury car. Having bought it used with 82k, it has been a great bargain of a car! It's far better than I had expected from a 9 year old Ford!

Favorite Features

Dashboard layout is good. Also it's great to see cars with RWD which leave the front wheels to do their job: steering. Good gearshift location.

Suggested Improvements

The performance it gets is typical of a 6 cylinder engine despite getting 8 cylinder gas milage. Terrible cupholder location. Limited to 105 hp kinda takes the fun out of it. Small trunk for such a big car. Needs bigger wheels for better handling.

Kurt's T-Bird
By Kurt B.

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

My T-Bird has never let me down. After 8 years, it still runs very strong. Initial problems included a defective CD player and incorrect factory front end wheel alignment. Nothing since then. It has strong acceleration and can light up the tires easily. A good balance of luxury and performance. In the Arizona heat, cooling system and AC have performed flawlessly. The car looks great, too! Excellant fit and finish of car body.

Favorite Features

Strong engine, powerful AC.

Suggested Improvements

Interior squeeks and rattles while driving. Cupholder inside console is a joke.

96 Ford Thunderbird LX Now Supercharged
By Jerry S

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I wanted a V8 American muscle car with RWD that wouldn’t hit me up with high insurance rates. After a year of research I Bought this V8 T-Bird with 65,000 miles on it. Red with sunroof. Fell in love with it. Very powerful and with the available mods out there, I have added over 200 hp, its now putting out little over 400HP, to it with a vortech supercharger and bunch of extras. Now with 92,000 miles and a bunch of fun it runs like a champ still with original engine and transmission. Can’t ask for any more!

Favorite Features

V8 baby Rear Wheel Drive Stylish

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS!! Or get the 97! Because it comes with a revamped center console with cup holders