Used 1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (55 reviews )

Highway rollin'
By Joel Dillon

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

The Thunderbird is a true American made car. The engine sounds great when accelerating, which is why adding 2 Flowmaster mufflers was easy to do. The Thunderbird is not like anything on the road today. The car is sharp around corners and when you put your foot to the floor, watch out.

Favorite Features

The overall body styling of the Thunderbird is one of a kind. The dash is cool in a retro kind of way.

Suggested Improvements

The Thunderbird could definitely be better at light acceleration. I find myself having to accelerate quicker to stay at the pace of the cars from a traffic light.

10 year T-bird anniversary
By rsu11

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Just gave my 10 year old T-bird a makeover - new paint and carpet. Why? Simple. The car deserves it! Why pop for a newer car, or an older classic, when this one fills the bill so admirably. Great performance with the 4.6 V8, good suspension with IRS in the back, decent brakes, a comfortable interior for two people and styling that still looks good. Low maintenance costs and 19 mpg around town just make me smile more behind the wheel. The retro styled Mustang will probably be my next car, but not until my T-bird dies, probably many years from now. This car is like finding an Armani suit at a yard sale. A bargain with style!

Favorite Features

The 4.6 V8! Moves the car like it's half its weight. Love the exterior styling and wraparound dash filled with gauges. Very reliable, too.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission has been problematic for some owners - regular fluid changes are key. I installed a '97 console to get the cupholders. Ride can be a little harsh over rough roads.

So long, Bluebird
By Sandi

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I special-ordered this car back in Oct '95. Took delivery 2 days after Valentine's Day in 1996, and man, has this car been a sweetheart. Smooth, quiet, stylish, and with the Sport Suspension, fun as heck to drive. This car has been my faithful companion, and ten years later, I'm still getting regular compliments on the gorgeous Moonlight Blue paint job. The only major problem has been the intake manifold, Ford replaced it once under pressure of the threat of a class-action lawsuit. The manifold has cracked again, and due to the age of the vehicle, my family and friends are all urging me to replace it. My heart wants to pay for the repairs, but its time to put Bluebird out to pasture.

Favorite Features

Quiet, comfortable ride! I've ridden in the Lexus sedans, and my $20k car compares VERY favorably in this area.

Suggested Improvements

The &*#@!* cupholders! What braniac engineer put hinges on the SIDE of the console between the seats, which means to access the (only) cupholders, the passenger has to reach OVER the open console lid. Insane!

V8 Tbird Sport LX
By ritchie

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I have two. Both are very reliable and have plenty of power and handle well. Smooth ride from the 4 wheel independent suspension. I own 12 Fords and love them all.

Favorite Features

The looks and moon roof.

Suggested Improvements

Should still be building them.

Love my silver
By LS

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I LOVE THIS CAR. This is my second Tbird ... the first one was dark green and loaded. This one isn't loaded but comfort and power (v8) blows away most of my friends' cars. Bought it as a used car 5 years ago (it's a '96) and while reliability has been fantastic, it's time to start thinking of trading my baby in. My check engine light has been on for 4 years. Funny - must be a design/electrical flaw. Also rolled my green one during an ice storm in MI (won't miss the real wheel drive in winter). Ah, fond memories. I think I cried when the last one rolled off the assembly line a few years ago. Now what am I supposed to do? :)

Favorite Features

6-way power driver seat The "pod" driver-side interior styling. Low, sleek, 'cigarette' body design; very chic.

Suggested Improvements

"Check Engine" light issue (lots of people have this problem it seems. Some engine 'knock'/sluggishness during acceleration (not always). Not sure how to describe. When it rains and you have the window cracked open, the rain pours directly into the car. Seems like they could have avoided this in design