1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (55 reviews )
Solid car
By Ciaran on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

This is a solid trusty car. Always starts and drives very well. I hear of people with new cars having basic problems and so can't bring myself to think about changing this car. It is roomy, teh kids love going anywhere in dad's car..I feel like this car will go forever.

The under-rated Tbird
By Solimar on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

One of the most underated vehicles in the market (to my good fortune).

1996 Ford Thunderbird
By bm4751 on 04/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for over seven years and all I have put in it is a battery and new tires.It is a very dependable car that rides great.

Big Mustang
By Rollin on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I have had good experience with my 1996 T-bird. Overall very reliable car, no unscheduled maintenance so far. Traction control with snow tires on all 4 wheels is a must for snowy climate (I use Blizzaks). Handling is very good for a relatively large car and performance is too with the 4.6 V8. 4- wheel disc brakes are an improvement over disc/drum on my 1995 T-bird.

Midsize Mustang
By rollin59 on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Nice car, like a mid-size Mustang. Big enough to carry passengers, small enough to be easy to drive.

Not bad Ford!
By Angel_B4U on 02/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Drives like a dream. The only problems I've had with it is: when I first bought it, dealer had to put in a new transmission, the windshield now leaks (got to fix that), and the paint job with the clear coat has much to be desired. It has never let me down. It is very comfortable to ride/drive. The controls are aimed at driver (big plus). The passenger can recline with ease and comfort for a nap on long trips. On long trips I enjoy reclining back and sleeping, it makes the trip go by faster. VERY COMFORTABLE!! I am VERY glad I bought this car!! Ladies - it has "gadgets" that we like to play with and an excellent sound system.

Solid Car
By Mike's t-bird on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

This is a terrific car. My V-8 has plenty of pep and handles like a tru sports car. Other than oil changes and new brake pads, I have not had to do anything to this car. The body still looks like it just came out of the showroom. I would keep it forever, exept my family is growing and strapping babies into the back seat is a chore. Other complaints are that the car is awfull in any type of foul weather and cup holders are useless.

J-birds T-bird
By J-bird on 12/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Had this vehicle since it was new, now have 135,000 miles and climbing. Best car I ever owned. Regular 3000 oil changes and 30k services and never had any mechinical problems. I've been wanting a new SUV, but waiting for T- Bird to die first. I may be waiting for years because this car is extremely reliable. Very good buy. One downside: terrible in snow and ice.

Baby Boomer Special
By jimmyg on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car used with 26,000 miles on it over 5 years ago and it has been a pure pleasure to drive. The V8 engine is powerfull but quiet, car handles and accelerates with ease. For us baby boomers it's as close to those great 60'S cars we can be. I was involed in a side crash(T'Bone) last year and the vehicle held the road even though the rear axel broke off. I thought the car would be totalled but the value of the vehicle, to my delight, remained high and it looks as good as new. Anyone who enjoys long drives on warm summer nights, just open the moonroof, turn up the sound and love your T'Bird

'96 T-Bird LX V8
By mpn69 on 11/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I have always loved the looks of the BMW 6 series coupes. When Ford 1st came out with this body style of the 'bird I immediatly saw a less expensive alternitive with most of the styling cues of the BMW. I love the power of the 4.6 Lt. V8 and the decent fuel milage for a car this big. My 'bird has had its share of mecanical problems starting after I bought it used. So far: Altinator, warped brake rotors, leaky power steering pump, rough shifting transmission, failed odometer and a general poor build quility