1996 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (55 reviews )
bulletproff
By pirateheadman on 05/26/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

What a great car! The 4.6 V-8 gets good mileage (20-24mpg) and is bulletproof. It's the same drivetrain as the police Crown Vics. I have done nothing but replace spark plugs once and install an alternator in 155,000 miles.

Love my Red T-Bird
By lou on 05/04/05 22:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I bought my T-Bird in '96 as a dealer demo with 8,000 miles. It has 88,900 now with no major problems, looks and runs like a dream. I love this car, and can tell if there are any problems coming up just by the "feel"...you T-Bird owners know what I mean. Just bought a 2001 Taurus; was going to trade the T-Bird in, but when I saw them start to take her away, I choked up and changed my mind. Now I have a Taurus and the T-bird. I'm going to drive the Taurus in the winter.

Red Bird
By Red Bird on 03/11/05 22:31 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

It's the mix of a Crown Vic and a Mustang. Great car for highway use and road trips. However it's not so good around town in the city due to its size and rather poor city mileage. It's stuck in that not so great niche between sports car and luxury car. Having bought it used with 82k, it has been a great bargain of a car! It's far better than I had expected from a 9 year old Ford!

Kurt's T-Bird
By Kurt B. on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

My T-Bird has never let me down. After 8 years, it still runs very strong. Initial problems included a defective CD player and incorrect factory front end wheel alignment. Nothing since then. It has strong acceleration and can light up the tires easily. A good balance of luxury and performance. In the Arizona heat, cooling system and AC have performed flawlessly. The car looks great, too! Excellant fit and finish of car body.

96 Ford Thunderbird LX Now Supercharged
By Jerry S on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I wanted a V8 American muscle car with RWD that wouldn’t hit me up with high insurance rates. After a year of research I Bought this V8 T-Bird with 65,000 miles on it. Red with sunroof. Fell in love with it. Very powerful and with the available mods out there, I have added over 200 hp, its now putting out little over 400HP, to it with a vortech supercharger and bunch of extras. Now with 92,000 miles and a bunch of fun it runs like a champ still with original engine and transmission. Can’t ask for any more!

1996 Thunderbird LX
By B. GARLAND on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Performance of this vehicle is excellent while returning 16 mpg/city and 26 mpg/hwy. Good acceleration for a V6. Comfortable and quiet highway ride with the perfect exaust note under hard acceleration.

1996 Ford Thunderbird
By TopJimmy on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I bought my Thunderbird used 4 years ago. It has been a great car and has only left me stranded once when the manifold cracked and I lost coolant. There was a TSB on that problem and Ford fixed it free of charge ( an $800 repair )It is fun to drive and has plenty of power. The 4.6 V8 is quite economical and there is a feeling of safety with this vehicle.

First Car...
By Big Bad Birdy on 01/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought my car when I turned 16 with a fistfull of 100's I had saved up with 85,000 miles on the clock. NEVER regretted it. V8 delivers massive torque and burnouts are long and easy. Limited at 105 but that speed is reached very quickly. My friends simply call it the GT with a backseat because of the fantastic performance and incredible luxury for the price.

The most fun car to drive
By otoluva on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I just dont understand why on earth Ford stopped making this beauty. I have a 96 V8 and love it more every time I get behind the wheel, it's been very reliable and pleasure to drive.

My First Car!
By The Brain on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it new, right out of college. Love the ride and acceleration of v-8. Comfy interior and nice looks, inside and out. Had intake manifold replaced under recall after failure and transmission reconditioned under warranty- no other unscheduled failures. Have 4 studded snows on factory rims- unstoppable in the snow with a judicious accelerator foot! Exepecting 1st baby and finding hard to replace with "family" car of equal price and performance.