Used 1996 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (55 reviews )

The Perfect Car
By Andrew76240

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I love my Thunderbird. I have always wanted one since my ex-wife had one and we seperated. It's the best car I have ever owned . After putting 40,000 miles to the 44,000 miles that my car came with all that wee ever needed was fluid and filter changes and some spark plugs. Pleanty of power underneath the hood of the v-8 model. Comfortable to drive and everything is adjusted on the dash to face the driver and all around its just a great stylish car!

Horsepower, reliability, comfortability (is that a word?), smooth ride

What a beautiful car!
By jessyebtbird

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from my cousin and I thought I got ripped off! But after 5 years of a wonderful ride, I totally stole it from him for $1500 with only 99,000mile. My bird has never let me down but I take good car of her! Had the front end almost completely replaced, upper and lower ball joints, tye rods, shocks and struts, didn't need the work but rountine maintaince is nescessary when taking care of your pride and joy, and my t-bird is my pride and joy, with a little over 169,000 miles on her and she still will take off from the line in a cloud of smoke! FOr a v6 the motor is pretty strong, I think I may be have a little intake leak, been finding antifeeze on the drive

I am in love with this car. I have never had anything that has ever drove great, great on gas, doesn't cost much money to maintence, and it's just a pretty car to look at, and when you are driving down the road she just purrs like a kitten!

I don't like the placement of the cupholders, nor do I like the placement of the oil sending unit, I have to replace it, but am having problems cause have to take off surpintine belt to get to it

An all American bird.
By WhartD

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I love this car I have owned it for almost a year now and I never get tired of looking at it. This car is fast and is extremely fun to drive. I actually look forward to rainy days so I can power slide to my hearts content. Handling is'nt too bad for a big American car. This is one awesome cruiser. Mine is fully loaded and I love just driving around with the windows down and the sunroof wide open. The saddle brown leather and interior is great except for a few minor build issues which I put in the improvements part. Nice premium sound system. It has a lot or bass and the speakers work perfect. My razzi body kit looks great on it in white. Mine is all stock from 1996. $22grand in 1996.

The 4.6 V8 engine (lot o' power) premium sound system, razzi body kit, and most everything

The cup holders were obviously an afterthought. very dumb console layout. 97 model fixes it though. Better plastic trim and better seal on doors and sunroof. everything else is very nice quality for a car in the 90's.

My T-bird
By my t-bird

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Very nice car. Very fun to drive. The 4.6 V8 is pretty powerful too. The ride is really comfortable as well. Punching the accelerator on the high way and getting up to 80 MPH is very fast and comfortable with the nicely styled seats. Its also very easy to spin the tires. This car has a lot of power even when your going 60 MPH. My overall is that I love this car a lot. Recently I added a 1,500 watt radio with 2 subwoofers and 6 new speakers and 2 amps. Sounds awesome. Nothing better than driving in a T-Bird with the windows down and the stereo blasting!

I love the 4.6 V8. The sunroof is very good in the summer when you have all the windows down and your going 75 MPH. The awesome design of the dashboard is really comfortable. and the very strong AC helps in the hot hot summer.

It would have been nice if the dop holders were easy to access. I think it would have been awesome to have a 5 speed manual in the car too. I had to replace the stereo because the CD did not come out when I put one in.

Best car yet
By tim

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I have a black 1996 T bird 4.6 v8 moonroof tinted windows. the first time I seen it i knew it was special. I paid $500 for her spent $1800 to bring her up to standards (brakes etc) the last owner didn,t really know what he had. I ve had her for bout 1 yr now and have not had one problem. I love the car. The leather interior needs some work. I think this is the one that is going to get some money into. I plan a complete and through rebuild with a little more hp. She's a keeper. Good job Ford

Power, luxury, style, colour