Used 1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (55 reviews )

silverbird
By silverbird

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

4 years ago I needed a second car to keep from putting too many miles on my Expedition. I bought my 96 ford thunderbird used with only 30,000 miles on it. It has been very reliable and is very comfortable to drive.Best used car I have ever owned. The 4.6 V8 gets great gas mileage, it rides smooth and still looks great. I am totally sold on Ford products now and look forward to owning many more in the future.

Good gas mileage from the V8. I have gotten as high as 27.5 on the highway at a steady 75 with the a/c on!! Seats are very comfortable on long trips.

like everyone else I hate the cupholder placement

My Birdy
By 4.6 LX Bird

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought my T-Bird just a few years ago with around 60,000 miles. The car has been great to me ever since the day I bought it. Recently I've been experiencing transmission problems, But that's not bad after 110,000 miles. I go through tires like crazy but that's just cause I'm kinda hard on the car. This is the perfect first car for anyone as it was mine. Recently I added a 2000 watt system with a touch screen monitor. My favorite thing to do is drive on the highway on a summer nice summer night with the windows & sunroof open. Blasting the new system and listening to the V8 with custom exhaust roar. I'll never regret buying this car. In fact I'm looking for my second. =]

The semi-powerful V8. The comfort of the leather seats. The powerful heat/AC. The design of the entire car.

Obviously the cup-holders. Also, I wish my 1996 came with a factory spoiler! They started adding the spoiler in 1997. The front suspension seems to fail a lot. But that's mostly because I live in NY and the roads here suck.

almost 200,000 miles ORIGINAL ENGINE
By kruzer

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Everything is ORIGINAL never been replaced, except for the radiator (once). The car near 200,000 miles mark and I am going for 250,000 miles :) This was the best model and quality workmanship of all T-birds made. I get almost 29 MPG on open hwy but average is 26 MPG on hwy. Sweet :)

ALL

Spark plug is WRONG kind by the factory specs ! Buy the cheapest COPPER plugs, because that works better accoring to a t-bird club. I replaced them and it's BETTER than factory plugs. Also replace spark plug cables ! (buy cheap ones only and do it yearly.

What's the word? T-Bird
By Gary

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought my 96 V8 about two months ago. I love it, wouldn't want any other car in the world. I'm getting some BF Goodrich tires tomorrow. Runs like a champ every time I turn that key it makes me grin. The interior is awesome and with some hood scoops on the exterior it looks like a mean car.

Posse drive. and power, engine sound

Horsepower should have been three hundred stock.

Going on one quarter of a million miles
By raymond

1996 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought my T-Bird with 28,000 miles and I have put over 200,000 more. I drive it every day and get 26 miles to the gallon, mostly highway. Ford replaced the intake and I have replaced the alternator and fan motor. I had the front-end reworked at 175,000. I love driving this car because of its sports car performance. It handles like new. It is Laser Red with Crager Super- Sports and with a high output stereo. I look forward to buying an antique tag. This car has been a great investment.

The Interior is great. The gauges, seats, console and the overall feel of sitting behind the wheel.

Cupholders that work.