1996 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (55 reviews )
The Perfect Car
By Andrew76240 on 04/25/08 15:14 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I love my Thunderbird. I have always wanted one since my ex-wife had one and we seperated. It's the best car I have ever owned . After putting 40,000 miles to the 44,000 miles that my car came with all that wee ever needed was fluid and filter changes and some spark plugs. Pleanty of power underneath the hood of the v-8 model. Comfortable to drive and everything is adjusted on the dash to face the driver and all around its just a great stylish car!

What a beautiful car!
By jessyebtbird on 03/25/08 07:25 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car from my cousin and I thought I got ripped off! But after 5 years of a wonderful ride, I totally stole it from him for $1500 with only 99,000mile. My bird has never let me down but I take good car of her! Had the front end almost completely replaced, upper and lower ball joints, tye rods, shocks and struts, didn't need the work but rountine maintaince is nescessary when taking care of your pride and joy, and my t-bird is my pride and joy, with a little over 169,000 miles on her and she still will take off from the line in a cloud of smoke! FOr a v6 the motor is pretty strong, I think I may be have a little intake leak, been finding antifeeze on the drive

An all American bird.
By WhartD on 10/10/07 17:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I love this car I have owned it for almost a year now and I never get tired of looking at it. This car is fast and is extremely fun to drive. I actually look forward to rainy days so I can power slide to my hearts content. Handling is'nt too bad for a big American car. This is one awesome cruiser. Mine is fully loaded and I love just driving around with the windows down and the sunroof wide open. The saddle brown leather and interior is great except for a few minor build issues which I put in the improvements part. Nice premium sound system. It has a lot or bass and the speakers work perfect. My razzi body kit looks great on it in white. Mine is all stock from 1996. $22grand in 1996.

My T-bird
By my t-bird on 09/11/07 22:31 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Very nice car. Very fun to drive. The 4.6 V8 is pretty powerful too. The ride is really comfortable as well. Punching the accelerator on the high way and getting up to 80 MPH is very fast and comfortable with the nicely styled seats. Its also very easy to spin the tires. This car has a lot of power even when your going 60 MPH. My overall is that I love this car a lot. Recently I added a 1,500 watt radio with 2 subwoofers and 6 new speakers and 2 amps. Sounds awesome. Nothing better than driving in a T-Bird with the windows down and the stereo blasting!

Best car yet
By tim on 08/29/07 05:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I have a black 1996 T bird 4.6 v8 moonroof tinted windows. the first time I seen it i knew it was special. I paid $500 for her spent $1800 to bring her up to standards (brakes etc) the last owner didn,t really know what he had. I ve had her for bout 1 yr now and have not had one problem. I love the car. The leather interior needs some work. I think this is the one that is going to get some money into. I plan a complete and through rebuild with a little more hp. She's a keeper. Good job Ford

Highway rollin'
By Joel Dillon on 02/23/07 18:08 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

The Thunderbird is a true American made car. The engine sounds great when accelerating, which is why adding 2 Flowmaster mufflers was easy to do. The Thunderbird is not like anything on the road today. The car is sharp around corners and when you put your foot to the floor, watch out.

10 year T-bird anniversary
By rsu11 on 08/01/06 09:52 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Just gave my 10 year old T-bird a makeover - new paint and carpet. Why? Simple. The car deserves it! Why pop for a newer car, or an older classic, when this one fills the bill so admirably. Great performance with the 4.6 V8, good suspension with IRS in the back, decent brakes, a comfortable interior for two people and styling that still looks good. Low maintenance costs and 19 mpg around town just make me smile more behind the wheel. The retro styled Mustang will probably be my next car, but not until my T-bird dies, probably many years from now. This car is like finding an Armani suit at a yard sale. A bargain with style!

So long, Bluebird
By Sandi on 01/03/06 19:57 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I special-ordered this car back in Oct '95. Took delivery 2 days after Valentine's Day in 1996, and man, has this car been a sweetheart. Smooth, quiet, stylish, and with the Sport Suspension, fun as heck to drive. This car has been my faithful companion, and ten years later, I'm still getting regular compliments on the gorgeous Moonlight Blue paint job. The only major problem has been the intake manifold, Ford replaced it once under pressure of the threat of a class-action lawsuit. The manifold has cracked again, and due to the age of the vehicle, my family and friends are all urging me to replace it. My heart wants to pay for the repairs, but its time to put Bluebird out to pasture.

V8 Tbird Sport LX
By ritchie on 11/11/05 15:58 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I have two. Both are very reliable and have plenty of power and handle well. Smooth ride from the 4 wheel independent suspension. I own 12 Fords and love them all.

Love my silver
By LS on 06/29/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I LOVE THIS CAR. This is my second Tbird ... the first one was dark green and loaded. This one isn't loaded but comfort and power (v8) blows away most of my friends' cars. Bought it as a used car 5 years ago (it's a '96) and while reliability has been fantastic, it's time to start thinking of trading my baby in. My check engine light has been on for 4 years. Funny - must be a design/electrical flaw. Also rolled my green one during an ice storm in MI (won't miss the real wheel drive in winter). Ah, fond memories. I think I cried when the last one rolled off the assembly line a few years ago. Now what am I supposed to do? :)