Used 1996 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

LX 3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic - (55 reviews )

Bird is the Word
By cspirit

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I own the V8 T-Bird, and of all the cars I've owned through the years, it has proven repeatedly to be the most reliable, stylish and overall best value vehicle money can buy. I bought mine used a little over a year ago with 124000 miles on it, and aside from replacing the brake pads and ball joints (which were wore out from age and the previous owner's abuse) this car has been an exceptional ride, silky smooth with plenty of power. Though the V8 only gets moderate gas mileage, the comfort, style and reliability more than make up for it. If you're looking for an older, stylish and reliable ride, I highly recommend the T-bird...

Favorite Features

V8 is powerful and silky smooth, ride is outstandingly smooth at all speeds, appearence is smooth and stylish regardless of age

Suggested Improvements

cup holders are extremely awkward and inconvenient, V8 COULD get better mileage with a few modifications

Best Ford Car Going
By mrthunderbird

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for 7 years and over 100,000 miles. There are some issues with the 3.8 that will cost some money to fix, but it is well worth the effort. Head gaskets go like clock work about 140,000 miles. I had mine replaced with better quality ones along with a valve job. Runs great so far at 188,000. Transmissions tend to be glitchy, but regular maintenance keeps that in check. If your looking for a lot of miles from yours here's a trick. Keep it maintained. Use Royal Purple motor oil and micro filter. Use Lucas Top Cylinder Lube in the gas every tank full. I am looking to keep mine for a long time. Still gets 29 mpg Highway. See you on the road.

Favorite Features

This car has a .31 drag coefficient that helps it get great gas mileage. The V6 comes with a 3.27 rear gear that makes it about as quick as the 4.6 model. I installed P225/60R15 tires that are a bit smaller than stock. This changes the effective rear gear ratio to 3.40 to 1. Makes it a bit quicker on take off and lowers the car just a bit. Interior is very comfortable on long road trips. Huge trunk area for all your gear. All in all a great car, you just need to keep it maintained to get great service from it.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should do a re issue of this model with better head gaskets.

216,000 miles and still doing great
By Love my 96 Bird

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Wow - what an awesome car. I picked it up as a used fleet car with 12,000 miles on it for $16k in 1996 - as of June of 2010 still has a lot of life left. Just this week needed to finally replace the catalytic converter - mechanic said with this car, it's worth it. He's so impressed - he checked her out from stem to stern and thinks she'll get at least another 50,000. This beauty doesn't owe me a dime - $500 to do the cat, so what, how much am I saving in car payments and insurance? Yeah, it's fabulous. Love this car.

Favorite Features

Rides great, handles well, built with luxury sound and feel, seats 5, huge trunk, hugs the road

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder is lame - it's not well placed and difficult to use. After only 175,000 miles, the power antenna gave out - Gosh.

Lame
By pixiedw

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I received this car for my graduation from high school. And it needed alot of work done. The inside lights don't work, turn signals don't work, the sunroof fell off the car while I was driving, the car has no backend suspension, it can't even handle snow on the ground hardly ice, the alternator and engine cooling fan had to be replaced as well as a major belt, the starter went out and replaced. I think old ford cars are not made for use in the midwest.

Favorite Features

it's sport car feel

Suggested Improvements

get a different car

Ford Does it Again
By Bruce

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

This is a real nice car but everyone should be aware of the 4.6L V8 issue that is not only common, but will likely cost you a lot of money. There was a recall with an extended warranty, after a lawsuit, which expired 7 years after original sale of vehicle. So, if you are not the original owner it is likely you never heard of it. Some genius designed the intake manifold out of plastic, including the coolant crossover. It will crack! You will then have a coolant leak requiring replacement of the manifold. Today that cost is around $800 to $1000 depending on where you go. I will be doing it myself for the cost of parts, which will be between $250 and $300. Do plugs while everything is open.

Favorite Features

Sharp looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Pretty obvious I would think.