1994 Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1994 Thunderbird Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Sort Reviews by

Big Mistake
By trina

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought my 94 T-Bird with 54,000 miles on it. Within a year I replaced the motor for the idle, the starter, the alternator, and now the transmission is going out. I would not recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

interior is comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

more reliability.

Great car for long trips
By Knights

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought my Thunderbird to replace my 1990 Cougar. The Cougar had the same motor and the only major problem was head gaskets (watch the 3.8L engine once it gets over 200,000km). The only problem so far with the Thunderbird is it idles rough. I have yet to resolve this problem (I'm trying to start with the simple things first). Other than that it's nice having the full power of the 3.8L again. There's never a problem passing people on the highway.

Favorite Features

The seats are my favourite feature... not too many vehicles have a comfortable interior like this car. It's much better than my cougar was. It's like having a luxury car but without spending all the money.

Get one if you can
By v8tbirds

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

If you can find a V8-Tbird, you won't be disappointed. The 4.6L V8 gives this large coupe much more verve than the standard V6. It is too bad that Ford discountinued it's flagship personal coupe. It is a large coupe loaded with creature comforts. With the optional powersunroof and intergrated telephone this car cost about $18,000 new...a real bargain! Now I have driven this car daily, and routinely average 25mpg when cruising along the hi-way at 65mph...and taking it easy in the city streets.

Favorite Features

Leather interior Power moonroof Integrated telephone V8 engine Large cabin

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade accummulator pistons in transmission.

Requiem for a Great Car
By renabg

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Just ordered a new Mazda6 to replace my venerable 4.6L V8 T-Bird. Wonderful car for the past 9+ years. Had the torque converter shudder but synthetic fluid plus a cooler fixed that. Fastest electric windows I've ever seen. Terrific road car. Replace orioginal tires with Michelin x-Ones. Perfect for the car. Car is wiped down and covered after every use. 147k miles on it and it looks like it just rolled off of the assembly line. Will be passing it to one of my sons who will care for it like I did.

Favorite Features

V8 engine; Independent rear suspension; leather seats; road manners; car feels substantial.

Suggested Improvements

A little too late since this model was discontinued after 1997.

The only car keep many years after paid.
By rexb

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Love it's V8. The only problem is the Ford's Factory paint.

Favorite Features

V8, auto headlights and auto dimming rear viewer.

Suggested Improvements

Ford's paint.

94 tbird has been good to me
By e jones

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Bought my V8 tbird new in 94. After 135,000 miles only things ever to go wrong were water pump and alternator. Some little pieces of interior trim broke but nothing major. Transmission used to make the typical annoying shutter from the torque converter but was a simple fix 3 years ago with synthetic trans fluid. Only major complaint is faiding of paint on roof. It should last longer than 8 years.

Favorite Features

driver oriented interior.

Suggested Improvements

better paint.

Hard to let Go
By N Smith

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I am passing on my 1994 V8 Tbird to my daughters fiancee and hate to let it go. Purchased new in 1994, it has been the very best vehicle I ever owned. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles and other than brakes and tires maintenance has been minimal. My only complaint was the lack of cup holders. Hope my new vehicle performs as well as the TBird. Ford sure made a good one.

Favorite Features

Ride,Power and handling -

Suggested Improvements

Needed better cup holders

lots o money
By tp

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

transmision, headgasket, brakes you name it i replaced it.... nice car fun to drive expensive to fix

Favorite Features

hmmm let me think the cup holder yea thats it ha ha ha

you got to love them they need a lot of
By jim wilson

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

you guessed it transmition problems sliping leaky seals,bad placement for a cup holder,and front end parts replaced yearly,the doors are also too heavy and are all out of wack and dont close right,not a good car for the fix it yourselfer,youll spend alot of $$ on special tools

Favorite Features

well its a t bird an american icon,rear independant suspention

Suggested Improvements

id expect more power from a v8,high repair bills,because of cheaply made factory parts

Ford Should Have Been Proud!!!
By Bird_Fanatic

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I love my 94 T-Bird (v8 interceptor).I've had a 92 v6 T-Bird (indestructable!) and currently my wife's 97 v6 Bird. The 94 has the special tranny and torque converter...shifts into 2nd at between 55-60 M.P.H, and chirps the tires. It is strong, quiet(until you mash it :) ), and rock solid. My other birds have been very gutsy and very dependable. The 92 had 150,000 miles without EVER being in the shop! Ford should be ashamed of themselves for axing this car...I guess they want the reputation of Fix Or Repair Daily because all they sell now are junky little Focuses and great big soccer mom land yachts!

Favorite Features

Best interior ever! Very, Very, Very fast...nothing can touch its acceleration above 50 mph. Low maintenence. Even the biggest Chevy fans change their minds after driving one of these cars!

Suggested Improvements

NONE! Ford should have gotten rid of that idiot Jack Nasser years ago...this car would probably still be made. Instead you can fork out 15k for a crappy little Focus! Good Job FORD!!