Used 1994 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Thunderbird

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Best Ford ever built!
By 4.6l V8

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Purchased the car my senior year of high school! From the moment I set eyes on it I was hooked! Upon driving it I fell deeper in love as the 4.6lt engine blasted me past every car in sight! Ran flawlessly until I wrapped it around a tree, car held up incredibly, came out of accident without a scratch and it still ran! Would def recommend to anyone looking for a nice reliable car that's fun to drive. But be careful when driving because the car is a lot faster than it looks. Not recommended for new teen drivers!

Favorite Features

Powerful V8, exterior styling, comfortable seats!

Suggested Improvements

Better cupholder placement and no speed limiter!

money pit
By fstrfrvo

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Just had to rebuild the tranny at the cost of $1600. OUCH. Heater no longer works, gives me the a/c when you turn the heater on. The electronic climate display is now burned out. Drivers window no longer goes down on its own, have to push it down. Now it's throwing a code for the catalytic converter out of range, of course you can't just get a new converter you have to buy a whole y pipe at a cost of $1100. Any of you that have around 130,000 miles get ready for a tranny build, and believe me they are not cheap.

Favorite Features

Nice for long drives, nice chrome wheel package, still look great after all these years. A/C blows ice cold.

Suggested Improvements

Quality! Make it easier to change oil filter. Cup holders in the center console. Paint quality. Rear factory window tint.

Great Car!
By Josh

1994 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

This car is one of the best cars build in the 90's. I usually only keep a car 4-5 years. I've had this for 10 years now. I love this car!

Favorite Features

Wrap around console. Speed.

Suggested Improvements

None!

Shouldn't have hung in there...
By Hutleyman

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought it when it was 5 years old w/88,000 miles on it. Paid $5,500. Didn't have a single repair problem for 4 solid years. Thought it was the dream buy of my life. Then I hit 153,000 miles and had to decide whether to keep regular maintenance up (new tires/shocks/some front suspension work/brakes/battery) and decided to bite the bullet since it was such a great car. Then the floodgates opened. After sinking $2 grand into it and thinking I would be set for another 3-4 years, look out. Be ready to get a new loan when the tranny goes and hope they get it right the first time. New computer, EGR, alternator, water pump all went within the next 5,000 miles. I'm now milking it for all it's worth.

Favorite Features

Bucket seats, powerful V-8, good Handling, great MPG for a V-8 (21-22 city/27-28 hwy) AC (original unit still working excellent - knock on wood)

Suggested Improvements

Definitely better cup holder placement, better placement of oil filter (if you've ever changed your own oil on this car, you know what I mean).

T-Birds have been good
By rvernooy

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I've had 83, 89, 94 and 95 T-Birds. I like this body style the best and have had only two problems that I consider significant. Both the 83 and 94 TBirds have had the driver door hinges fail. The transmission on this car failed (overdrive locked with 3rd gear) so replaced at 70K miles. Otherwise, good economy at 21MPG still. Good air, power windows, doors, trunk still. no leaks. No exhaust problems to date (love that stainless steel exhaust).

Favorite Features

I love the body style, great MPG for a V8, automatic everything, comfortable on long trips, I can haul up to 50 plants at a time for my wife's gardening. Great small turning radius makes it easy to drive in parking lots. And its large on responsiveness but small enough

Suggested Improvements

Door hinges could be made with a better metal so they don't wear out. The door is heavy and over time the driver's door is alway the first to go. Don't offer the clearcoat paint. The front bumper is flexible and in parking it gets hit often so that the paint flakes off very easily