Used 1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe Consumer Reviews - 37 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Best car ever owned
By Spider Hruska

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Purchased at 58,000 miles, replaced tranny at 62ooo and now at 185,000. 1 water pump. Nothing else except door jamb hinges, gears in electric windows, O D button on gear shifter. Only 3rd set of brakes,tires. Great performance, steering. Fast, reliable, 19-20 in town, 28 on road. Do Not run OD under 55, do not hit pass gear on wet streets, no heavy gas on wet corners and it will last a life time. Front end wears out around 170,000. (Costly) Best car ever owned. Ford needs to bring it back, drop some others.

V8 performance, response, economy with OD on highway.

eliminate "limiter", take "lump" out of center of back seat. Needs rear disc brakes.(?)

Love at first drive
By jt

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I got my bird with only 7,000 miles on it in '96. V-8. Perform routine maintenance and have had no major problems. If you don't perform routine maintenance then any car, foreign or domestic will have problems. If you take care of this car it will go the miles. I have over 100,000 miles on mine. I cannot find another car that comes close to my bird in comfort or styling (and I haved looked, cause I love that new car smell). I won't be letting it go anytime soon. I am actually saving to get it painted and getting new rims.

Speed, v-8, cabin comfort, cabin space, did. I also love how quiet the car rides. Gas mileage is great for a v-8, approx. 23-25 mpg, but I have a very heavy lead foot

Of course the cup holders, but you can place most cups right by the gear shifter once you are rolling. (just don't turn corners too fast or you will get wet.) Paint, but after 14 years I expected a few cosmetic problems.

94 T-Bird 4.6 liter
By Curt

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Great fun, acceleration, handling and more. Not enough cup holders is only gripe. 16 to 20 mpg overall, mostly city.

Acceleration and cornering. Comfortable seats.

Does not like speed bumps. Tight suspension.

When it fails it snowballs
By mike

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

It handles excellent, great transmission, can't even feel it changing gears. Bought it with 37k miles and now has 75k but when the trouble started it has yet to stop. The radiator, battery, alternator, hoses (normal) wear, this got me thru another year, but now power steering major leak, driver door handle bad, etc...I think i got my cash out of it, but thought it should have much more life in it. I'm going with a Toyota or Honda till the end of time. No more Fords for me.

Body. Great AC, smooth shifing and ride, even at 80 - 90 it coasts smooth

Give us more mechanically sound vehicles as the foreign cars always have!

Great work car
By Steve

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 150k mniles on it, and have put over 150k more miles on it. The motor is strong and gets great gas mileage - 27+ mpg on the highway. The paint is pretty rough due to all the miles on it. Preventive maintenance keeps the car running. I drive it daily to work and I get funny looks from everybody because the car doesn't look very good anymore, but I pass everyone, both on the highway and the gas station. I am not planning to restore this one, I have another 94 with over 400k miles that I am restoring to showroom perfect. If you want a reliable car, buy a Tbird with the 4.6 ltr V-8.

Reliability of the motor

Center console lid warps with age, made my own with plywood and leather. Looks better and is cheaper.