Used 1994 Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Love at first drive
By jt

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I got my bird with only 7,000 miles on it in '96. V-8. Perform routine maintenance and have had no major problems. If you don't perform routine maintenance then any car, foreign or domestic will have problems. If you take care of this car it will go the miles. I have over 100,000 miles on mine. I cannot find another car that comes close to my bird in comfort or styling (and I haved looked, cause I love that new car smell). I won't be letting it go anytime soon. I am actually saving to get it painted and getting new rims.

Favorite Features

Speed, v-8, cabin comfort, cabin space, did. I also love how quiet the car rides. Gas mileage is great for a v-8, approx. 23-25 mpg, but I have a very heavy lead foot

Suggested Improvements

Of course the cup holders, but you can place most cups right by the gear shifter once you are rolling. (just don't turn corners too fast or you will get wet.) Paint, but after 14 years I expected a few cosmetic problems.

94 T-Bird 4.6 liter
By Curt

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Great fun, acceleration, handling and more. Not enough cup holders is only gripe. 16 to 20 mpg overall, mostly city.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and cornering. Comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Does not like speed bumps. Tight suspension.

When it fails it snowballs
By mike

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

It handles excellent, great transmission, can't even feel it changing gears. Bought it with 37k miles and now has 75k but when the trouble started it has yet to stop. The radiator, battery, alternator, hoses (normal) wear, this got me thru another year, but now power steering major leak, driver door handle bad, etc...I think i got my cash out of it, but thought it should have much more life in it. I'm going with a Toyota or Honda till the end of time. No more Fords for me.

Favorite Features

Body. Great AC, smooth shifing and ride, even at 80 - 90 it coasts smooth

Suggested Improvements

Give us more mechanically sound vehicles as the foreign cars always have!

Great work car
By Steve

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with 150k mniles on it, and have put over 150k more miles on it. The motor is strong and gets great gas mileage - 27+ mpg on the highway. The paint is pretty rough due to all the miles on it. Preventive maintenance keeps the car running. I drive it daily to work and I get funny looks from everybody because the car doesn't look very good anymore, but I pass everyone, both on the highway and the gas station. I am not planning to restore this one, I have another 94 with over 400k miles that I am restoring to showroom perfect. If you want a reliable car, buy a Tbird with the 4.6 ltr V-8.

Favorite Features

Reliability of the motor

Suggested Improvements

Center console lid warps with age, made my own with plywood and leather. Looks better and is cheaper.

1994 T-Bird V-8
By Jason

1994 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I purchased my 94' T-Bird V-8 in 2001 with 89,000 miles and it has been very good to me. The only thing that I replaced was the torque converter. The 4.6 Liter V-8 has plenty of power and gets nearly the same gas mileage as the 3.8 L. V-6. It also has a very comfortable interior. 155,000 miles now in 2007 and still running circles around Civic's.

Favorite Features

V-8 power, looks, interior.

Suggested Improvements

Poor design of cupholders. Should have made the 4.6 L. V-8 with the option of being supercharged instead of the 3.8 L. head gasket blowing SC!