Used 1994 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews - 40 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1994 Ford Thunderbird

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Goes the distance
By Kevin Richardson

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I got my V6 bird early in 2008 for free, you could say it needed some repairs with 180000 miles and previous neglect. I would consider these repairs normal considering the neglect and age. After replacement of water pump, radiator, hoses, heater core, T-stat, front end rebuild including rack and pinion and power sterring pump, brakes rotors flexlines and calipers, alternator and a paint job. For awile the car was just like new long cross country trips without trouble also the car gets about 110 miles a day 5 days a week commute. Then @ 285000 miles it failed smog needed new valve guides so had the cylinder heads rebuilt and went from useing 1 quart of oil every 500 miles to useing 1/2 quart every 3000 miles, also had to replace catletic converters, EGR valve, mass air flow sensor, air intake temp sensor, and computer temp coolant sensor. After all that the smog guy said it was running cleaner than most new cars. @ 285000 miles this is considerd normal matenince. Then at about 305000 miles it started missing randomly needed new distrubtor drive gear so I changed the coil and ignition controll module and fuel pump out of reliabilty since these parts wont last forever. As it needs to be reliable I don't need to brake down 2500 miles away from home BTW never had to be towed home or brake down, it easyer to find problems through prevenitve maint. and fix it in the drive way than out on the road. So today I have 348000 miles running great would drive it 3000 miles with out hesatation. The truth is if your comitted your car will last as long as you want, unless rust is there. I dont want to spend 30000-40000 for a new car and have debt spend $1500.00 a year and keep your car cheaper than a new one. At this point I just do routine maint. drive to work and weekend tips ,vacation no worries. Also the V8 has less maint. Yeah the v6 needs head gaskes at 200000 miles but really that's high miles it normal. I have never replaced this trans. I hear that's un ususal but I change the fluid every 20000 miles, maby there is something to that. The cooler line also has an in line filter that is changed every time with the pan filter useing Ford mercon 5 fluid it really matters don't use cheap trans fluid. The best part or funny part is as the years go buy the parts get cheaper. Go figure newer car more expensive parts older cart cheaper parts. Transmission and lower end of the engine is orignal and rear diff. Looks like a new car with the paint job. runs/drives like a new car too. I'll probally keep it forever or untill corosion takes over underneath. This car also stops on a dime wow, its got 4 wheel disk and ABS un heard of in 1994. Turns great for how heavy it is.

'94 Tbird LX: One of my faves
By boater59

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought the car from it's original elderly owners in 2004 with only 24k original miles for $2k. Actually had the original though spider cracked tires. Drove it for years as my main commute and get around vehicle for myself. 19-20 mpg in town and have seen 29 on the highway during long road trips to visit family. Extremely comfy to ride in for long periods, quiet on the highway with windows up and just an overall best buy I ever made. Major issues encountered has been the ball joints and idle arm bushings. Both the left and right front ball joints have broken on me while in a sharp turn in and exiting a parking lot requiring tows to a shop.

Ergonomics of driver seating; arm rests; quiet inside on the road; mpg.

Front ball joints and assoicated linkage.

94 Ford Thunderbird V8 Cross country
By ashlyk

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I have had my Ford Thunderbird for about 4 years. I got it from its first owner. My mile counter broke about 3 years ago. It had 175,000 on it when it broke. Since then I have driven it back and forth from Texas to Florida 4 times and recently just drove it from Texas to Virginia. It is the most dependable car I have ever had! I have had a couple of small problems but it is worth the money that i put into it. I have gotten well worth my money out of it with how many places this car had taken me.

THE MOST AMAZING CAR<(^,,^)>
By darklycan6432

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I got my 94 thunderbird lx when i was a senior in high school. When i first drove it i loved it everything is great. I ran into one small problem i had to change the transmission it costed me $500. But after that it runs great and it still does. I didnt have any problems with it on a 800 mile drive home. I drive it everywhere and i wouldnt trade it for anything. I love everything about it. It has over 180000 miles on it and it runs great.

almost everything

cupholders and back sit could be bigger

THE MOST AMAZING CAR<(^,,^)>
By darklycan6432

1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I love my 94 thunderbird lx with its 4.6l V8 engine. I got it when i was a senior in high school. I love to drive it everywhere i go. The only trouble i have had out of it was the transmission cause the owner before me didn't take care of it. I got it replaced for $500. I still driving it everywhere. It ran great from Tulsa OK to Madisonville TN great i had no problems with it over the 800 mile trip. I have people always wanting to race me. But i love it all together.

almost everything

CUP HOLDERS and bigger back sit for taller people