Oscar
By Parker on
1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe
I purchased this automobile new in 1993 and have driven it for 17 years. Up until recently it offered a trouble- free existence, other than blown head gaskets at around 80k miles. It still has the original exhaust system, muffler, belts, hoses and LED tail lights in functioning condition. Other than replacing tires, shocks, and brakes it has been a no- maintenance car. However, in the last year a variety of systems have finally given out: air compressor (and original freon, sorry ozone), link arms, upper control joints, and paint. I have had these repaired assuming it will repay the investment with many more driving years as this car potentially becomes a classic - we'll see.
Favorite Features
This low-slung vehicle is definitely an old-school design that was never fully appreciated in the US. When I was living overseas there was always a crowd of admirers standing around it in Paris. A nice, heavy, smooth ride unlike the uptight cars made now, and still mostly metal.
Suggested Improvements
The lack of cup holders is odd, and riders do not understand the passive seat belts. I thought the electric locks were nifty but now the inability to remotely unlock the doors seems annoying. Remember when you had to stick a key in the door to open it? Hmm.