Used 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Beautiful and fun car marred by gaskets
By JS

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

My very first car, and I loved her. Excellent slow speed handling and turning radius. Quick off the line but slow to 60. Wobbly on the highway. Had the notorious head gasket failure at around 70k miles. Otherwise, just minor sensor issues and a leaky radiator.

Comfort and looks. Never driven a better long distance rural cruiser. Stunk on the highway, but handling at low speeds and general comfort level made long distance rural driving a blast. Loose steering contributed to this enjoyment.

Needed more power, reliable head gaskets. Cheap plastic dash in a beautiful car felt out of place.

Headgaskets blow
By X bird lover

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Purchased the 'bird new on '93, but had to have the dealer fix the water pump, brakes (twice) and replace wheel bearings within 6 months. The ventilation system has always squeaked, and what bonehead decided not to put cupholders in the car? Rides nice and quiet, but the engine area has always had a smell of antifreeze. At 73,000 miles the headgaskets blew. My '87 Bird blew headgaskets at 30,000 miles! Why can't Ford fix this seemingly chronic problem? I guess that's why so many people are going to Japanese cars. They seem to respond to problems.

Climate control, comfort, all around good looks, ride and performance (when it's not in the shop). A running V-6 has more than enough power.

HEADGASKET DESIGN, lack of cup holders, lackluster audio system, and (did I mention) HEADGASKET DESIGN!

I cried
By Brian Moses

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I loved my 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX. It had a V6 3.8L, which ran pretty well and fast for the weight, though I felt the engine was underpowered ( but still had enough to satisfy me. ). I took a turn going 30mph and hit a pole, because my wheels locked up and I didn't have time to pump my brakes, and it totalled my car. I cried that night...I loved this car...and now I'm looking at a 1994 Thunderbird LX for 1,995.

Everything.

More Horsepower

Fun first car, needs LOTS OF WORK
By SRoberts

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Bought car in Georgia with 60,000 miles. No lemon law! Had BAD shake, alignment made it disappear long enough for me to take it home. Head gaskets were blown, front end squeaks, car and steering wheel shake over 40 mph. Head lights randomly shut off. Fixed headlight switch 5 times. Put $700 into gaskets, $1200+ into suspension plus new rims to fix shake (finally!). AC compressor broke, new fan belt even squeals, oil leak, transmission leak, radiator leak, bad temperature gauge at 80,000 miles, rear end has developed kick and transmission hesitates badly in cold weather, passenger window & seat belt broke, weatherstripping rotting, fog lights dead, doors rattle. I put over $3,000 into it within 2 years, now it needs more work. Very comfy & roomy.

COMFY! 5 people on long road trip many times. Wouldn't put the money in it if I didnt love it. Fully adjustable drivers seat, climate control, jointed rear suspension makes the car float over bumps (after spending all that money it better!). Not best mileage, but not bad for work/school commute. Overdrive, power steering.

Like all Fords, is very high maintenance. A great car to fix up and spend time and money. Not the best for a student with low funds. Electric is dying, gauges have gone, suspension hairy and pricy, but very nice when working, Fan belt whine is common, Steering wheel designed 4 tall people, all fluids leak.

Lives up to its name.
By A.J. M.

Alright, I bought my 93 with 117,998
on the clock and a 5.0L engine. She
rode like a dream and still does but
she is a high maintainence machine.
I've spent almost half of what I paid
for her in repairs in less than a year
later. Some of the problems recur..
like the cooling issue, this is my 3rd
thunderbird, I previously had an 83
and a 90. Had cooling problems with
all three.

Posi rear end. ABS 4-wheel disc brakes. Fog lights. sun/moon-roof

Reliability. There are better cars out there than this one. in horsepower and in reliability.