Used 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Headgaskets blow
By X bird lover

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Purchased the 'bird new on '93, but had to have the dealer fix the water pump, brakes (twice) and replace wheel bearings within 6 months. The ventilation system has always squeaked, and what bonehead decided not to put cupholders in the car? Rides nice and quiet, but the engine area has always had a smell of antifreeze. At 73,000 miles the headgaskets blew. My '87 Bird blew headgaskets at 30,000 miles! Why can't Ford fix this seemingly chronic problem? I guess that's why so many people are going to Japanese cars. They seem to respond to problems.

Favorite Features

Climate control, comfort, all around good looks, ride and performance (when it's not in the shop). A running V-6 has more than enough power.

Suggested Improvements

HEADGASKET DESIGN, lack of cup holders, lackluster audio system, and (did I mention) HEADGASKET DESIGN!

I cried
By Brian Moses

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I loved my 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX. It had a V6 3.8L, which ran pretty well and fast for the weight, though I felt the engine was underpowered ( but still had enough to satisfy me. ). I took a turn going 30mph and hit a pole, because my wheels locked up and I didn't have time to pump my brakes, and it totalled my car. I cried that night...I loved this car...and now I'm looking at a 1994 Thunderbird LX for 1,995.

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

More Horsepower

Fun first car, needs LOTS OF WORK
By SRoberts

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Bought car in Georgia with 60,000 miles. No lemon law! Had BAD shake, alignment made it disappear long enough for me to take it home. Head gaskets were blown, front end squeaks, car and steering wheel shake over 40 mph. Head lights randomly shut off. Fixed headlight switch 5 times. Put $700 into gaskets, $1200+ into suspension plus new rims to fix shake (finally!). AC compressor broke, new fan belt even squeals, oil leak, transmission leak, radiator leak, bad temperature gauge at 80,000 miles, rear end has developed kick and transmission hesitates badly in cold weather, passenger window & seat belt broke, weatherstripping rotting, fog lights dead, doors rattle. I put over $3,000 into it within 2 years, now it needs more work. Very comfy & roomy.

Favorite Features

COMFY! 5 people on long road trip many times. Wouldn't put the money in it if I didnt love it. Fully adjustable drivers seat, climate control, jointed rear suspension makes the car float over bumps (after spending all that money it better!). Not best mileage, but not bad for work/school commute. Overdrive, power steering.

Suggested Improvements

Like all Fords, is very high maintenance. A great car to fix up and spend time and money. Not the best for a student with low funds. Electric is dying, gauges have gone, suspension hairy and pricy, but very nice when working, Fan belt whine is common, Steering wheel designed 4 tall people, all fluids leak.

great car
By vas97

been a great car

Favorite Features

climate control

Suggested Improvements

needs cup holders

Lives up to its name.
By A.J. M.

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

Alright, I bought my 93 with 117,998 on the clock and a 5.0L engine. She rode like a dream and still does but she is a high maintainence machine. I've spent almost half of what I paid for her in repairs in less than a year later. Some of the problems recur.. like the cooling issue, this is my 3rd thunderbird, I previously had an 83 and a 90. Had cooling problems with all three.

Favorite Features

Posi rear end. ABS 4-wheel disc brakes. Fog lights. sun/moon-roof

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. There are better cars out there than this one. in horsepower and in reliability.