Used 1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

93 ford thunderbird LX V8
By Tanya

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I love my car its my first one ive had it for a year. Ive replaced the water pump and starter and done a tune up and full oil change and front brakes. I also had to fix the AC when i bought it. Recently my cars been shaking alot something its never done and it gets way worse if you try turning on the AC. Also overheats when i run my AC. Does anyone no what could be wrong i really want to figure out whats up and get it fixed before it causes something else to go wrong

A great first car
By rocksbocks

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I got it from a friend for $500. It had previously been used off-roading. The AC didn't work, there was a power-steering leak, and the odometer had broken at 125k miles before he owned it. We guesstimated around 180k miles, give or take. I can tell you, I didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surprised. The car ran great, never had any problems starting or overheating. I drove it for 3 years before a bearing went bad and I failed to get it fixed, leading to brake problems. Otherwise it was completely reliable and very fun to drive. It'll treat you right as long as you treat it right (regular oil changes/general maintenance). A great first car. I'll miss you, Thundy!

Reliable engine, nice body, very roomy and comfortable inside.

Power steering pump, AC, brakes. However, I can't be certain if these were faults of the car itself or the fact that it had previously been used off-roading.

Oscar
By Parker

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this automobile new in 1993 and have driven it for 17 years. Up until recently it offered a trouble- free existence, other than blown head gaskets at around 80k miles. It still has the original exhaust system, muffler, belts, hoses and LED tail lights in functioning condition. Other than replacing tires, shocks, and brakes it has been a no- maintenance car. However, in the last year a variety of systems have finally given out: air compressor (and original freon, sorry ozone), link arms, upper control joints, and paint. I have had these repaired assuming it will repay the investment with many more driving years as this car potentially becomes a classic - we'll see.

This low-slung vehicle is definitely an old-school design that was never fully appreciated in the US. When I was living overseas there was always a crowd of admirers standing around it in Paris. A nice, heavy, smooth ride unlike the uptight cars made now, and still mostly metal.

The lack of cup holders is odd, and riders do not understand the passive seat belts. I thought the electric locks were nifty but now the inability to remotely unlock the doors seems annoying. Remember when you had to stick a key in the door to open it? Hmm.

Fun car
By j.edgar

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

The car has been very enjoyable. A very reliable car other than the tranny overdrive went out at 80000. Has never left me stranded though.

Good performance, decent handling with better than average fuel economy.

My First Car And A Maintenance Nightmare
By Andreas

1993 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I loved this car when I purchased it at 17 years old with 80K miles in 2001. The car was loaded and looked beautiful. It was a V-6 and a bit underpowered. I have had nothing but problems after the first week. First, was O2 sensors (about $200). Then the suspension needed repair ($1500). Then the multifunction switch died (the car could not switch the high beams off...about $300 to fix...I just disconnected them). Transmission was beginning to slip. I took a friend to the airport about 100 miles away and guess what, the engine went. I actually managed to get the car towed, and got a little value for trade in. I babied that car and it gave nothing but problems. The car died at 96k miles.

The car looked very nice (maroon color). The interior was great. Leather seats, moon roof, I upgraded the sound system and it sounded great.

Reliability...maybe my car was a lemon.