1993 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:
A great first car
By rocksbocks on 05/01/12 18:49 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I got it from a friend for $500. It had previously been used off-roading. The AC didn't work, there was a power-steering leak, and the odometer had broken at 125k miles before he owned it. We guesstimated around 180k miles, give or take. I can tell you, I didn't expect much. I was pleasantly surprised. The car ran great, never had any problems starting or overheating. I drove it for 3 years before a bearing went bad and I failed to get it fixed, leading to brake problems. Otherwise it was completely reliable and very fun to drive. It'll treat you right as long as you treat it right (regular oil changes/general maintenance). A great first car. I'll miss you, Thundy!

Oscar
By Parker on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I purchased this automobile new in 1993 and have driven it for 17 years. Up until recently it offered a trouble- free existence, other than blown head gaskets at around 80k miles. It still has the original exhaust system, muffler, belts, hoses and LED tail lights in functioning condition. Other than replacing tires, shocks, and brakes it has been a no- maintenance car. However, in the last year a variety of systems have finally given out: air compressor (and original freon, sorry ozone), link arms, upper control joints, and paint. I have had these repaired assuming it will repay the investment with many more driving years as this car potentially becomes a classic - we'll see.

Fun car
By j.edgar on 09/16/09 18:02 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

The car has been very enjoyable. A very reliable car other than the tranny overdrive went out at 80000. Has never left me stranded though.

My First Car And A Maintenance Nightmare
By Andreas on 03/17/09 12:24 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I loved this car when I purchased it at 17 years old with 80K miles in 2001. The car was loaded and looked beautiful. It was a V-6 and a bit underpowered. I have had nothing but problems after the first week. First, was O2 sensors (about $200). Then the suspension needed repair ($1500). Then the multifunction switch died (the car could not switch the high beams off...about $300 to fix...I just disconnected them). Transmission was beginning to slip. I took a friend to the airport about 100 miles away and guess what, the engine went. I actually managed to get the car towed, and got a little value for trade in. I babied that car and it gave nothing but problems. The car died at 96k miles.

Beautiful and fun car marred by gaskets
By JS on 06/04/07 17:44 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

My very first car, and I loved her. Excellent slow speed handling and turning radius. Quick off the line but slow to 60. Wobbly on the highway. Had the notorious head gasket failure at around 70k miles. Otherwise, just minor sensor issues and a leaky radiator.

Headgaskets blow
By X bird lover on 11/07/05 02:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Purchased the 'bird new on '93, but had to have the dealer fix the water pump, brakes (twice) and replace wheel bearings within 6 months. The ventilation system has always squeaked, and what bonehead decided not to put cupholders in the car? Rides nice and quiet, but the engine area has always had a smell of antifreeze. At 73,000 miles the headgaskets blew. My '87 Bird blew headgaskets at 30,000 miles! Why can't Ford fix this seemingly chronic problem? I guess that's why so many people are going to Japanese cars. They seem to respond to problems.

I cried
By Brian Moses on 08/11/05 00:19 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I loved my 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX. It had a V6 3.8L, which ran pretty well and fast for the weight, though I felt the engine was underpowered ( but still had enough to satisfy me. ). I took a turn going 30mph and hit a pole, because my wheels locked up and I didn't have time to pump my brakes, and it totalled my car. I cried that night...I loved this car...and now I'm looking at a 1994 Thunderbird LX for 1,995.

Fun first car, needs LOTS OF WORK
By SRoberts on 12/16/04 13:29 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Bought car in Georgia with 60,000 miles. No lemon law! Had BAD shake, alignment made it disappear long enough for me to take it home. Head gaskets were blown, front end squeaks, car and steering wheel shake over 40 mph. Head lights randomly shut off. Fixed headlight switch 5 times. Put $700 into gaskets, $1200+ into suspension plus new rims to fix shake (finally!). AC compressor broke, new fan belt even squeals, oil leak, transmission leak, radiator leak, bad temperature gauge at 80,000 miles, rear end has developed kick and transmission hesitates badly in cold weather, passenger window & seat belt broke, weatherstripping rotting, fog lights dead, doors rattle. I put over $3,000 into it within 2 years, now it needs more work. Very comfy & roomy.

great car
By vas97 on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

been a great car

Lives up to its name.
By A.J. M. on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

Alright, I bought my 93 with 117,998 on the clock and a 5.0L engine. She rode like a dream and still does but she is a high maintainence machine. I've spent almost half of what I paid for her in repairs in less than a year later. Some of the problems recur.. like the cooling issue, this is my 3rd thunderbird, I previously had an 83 and a 90. Had cooling problems with all three.