Used 1992 Ford Thunderbird Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

1992 LX 5.0 HO
By SCOTTY

1992 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

I am the 2nd owner of this car,and I am very happy with it. It had 306,000 miles on it when I bought it; now has 348,000 miles, and can still roast the tires. I have had no major problems with this car. Still rides smooth. I put in a blue oval chip [computer] and a larger MAF, and the car accelerates even better. I plan on keeping this car for as long as I can. And I get 18-22 in city, 25-30 hwy, depending how much pedal I put into it. I plan on a few more upgrades for this car. I can't believe the mileage on this car and the way it runs. I almost believe I can double the mileage [if I live that long]. The original owner had all the maintenance done on time. I am keeping up the tradition.

Favorite Features

Great cornering, smooth ride and a lot of room. 4 wheel independent suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the MN-12 body style,and 5.0, 302 High Output Engine, true dual exhaust, and higher performance torque converter, better flowing heads, and camshaft - wishful thinking though. I think I will do it myself, thank you very much.

An oldie but goodie
By Doug T.

1992 Ford Thunderbird Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought the car 2nd hand at a used car lot in Pa.($5,000} Made it safe to drive ($2500) and redid all the suspension ($1700). now its all restored it runs great and slightly oversize tires give it a mean look. Its a roomy midsize with the 3.8 v8 gives me 25mpg on the hwy. I work on it as it needs it. I Love My T-Bird.

Favorite Features

Roomy, 25mpg in an midside car for a 6 foot, 260lb. guy

Suggested Improvements

Have enough $$ to keep it running. Im still looking for the cup holders... LOL

Best Car Ever
By Denise

1992 Ford Thunderbird Coupe 2dr Coupe

Because I was a Bill Elliott fan, all I wanted was a bright red Thunderbird. When I saw this car, it was love at first sight. I am still driving it after 16 years. It still is a great handling car. My T-Bird still looks great and gets good gas mileage. Ford would recover faster if it starting building cars like this again.

Favorite Features

Moon roof. Soft, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

None!

Low mileage driver review
By ron

1992 Ford Thunderbird Coupe LX 2dr Coupe

We bought the car because all our friends had new cars. The first thing we noticed was the effectiveness of the air conditioning, the smoothness of the ride and how well it cornered. We kept it in the garage mostly and we never had a hard time starting it. In fact, it would start without even pushing on the gas pedal. Compared to our 1983 Mustang, it was like driving a Cadillac. We always had problems with the Mustang trying to get it started. Not the Thunderbird. We'll miss it, but it's no longer appropriate for us to drive anymore. The interior looks the same as it did in 1992. No one's ever smoked in the car either.

Favorite Features

I like the automatic seat belts and he power seat and windows. I just liked everything about the car. Like I said, we'll miss it. Actually, she's not an it. She's Betsy and she gave us 14 years of pleasurable driving experiences. Heck, we only put on 36,000 miles during those 14 years.

Suggested Improvements

Can't really think of any way to improve it except that maybe the seat could adjust a little higher. But, that's only because I'm only about 5 feet tall now. For younger people it wouldn't be a problem. My son-in-law got me to put this stuff on the Internet. But, he did all the typing. I can't type.

THE SPO
By 92tbirdspo

1992 Ford Thunderbird Coupe Sport 2dr Coupe

This car has been in my family since it was bought from the dealership. My Dad gave me the car in 2001. The car has lasted a long time.

Favorite Features

V8. No speed limiter! IRS.

Suggested Improvements

The 8.8 needs a LIMITED SLIP. All disc brakes.