Used 1992 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Thunderbird

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

An oldie but goodie
By Doug T.

1992 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

I bought the car 2nd hand at a used car lot in Pa.($5,000} Made it safe to drive ($2500) and redid all the suspension ($1700). now its all restored it runs great and slightly oversize tires give it a mean look. Its a roomy midsize with the 3.8 v8 gives me 25mpg on the hwy. I work on it as it needs it. I Love My T-Bird.

Favorite Features

Roomy, 25mpg in an midside car for a 6 foot, 260lb. guy

Suggested Improvements

Have enough $$ to keep it running. Im still looking for the cup holders... LOL

Best Car Ever
By Denise

1992 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

Because I was a Bill Elliott fan, all I wanted was a bright red Thunderbird. When I saw this car, it was love at first sight. I am still driving it after 16 years. It still is a great handling car. My T-Bird still looks great and gets good gas mileage. Ford would recover faster if it starting building cars like this again.

Favorite Features

Moon roof. Soft, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

None!

Fun car, keep your wallet close.
By Hock

1992 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd SC and it is a blast to drive, when it runs. I bought it with bad head gaskets, the dealer ran 87 octane when it requires 91 or better. I have driven both the auto and 5 speed and the 5 speed is by far more fun than the auto though it is notchy and does get expensive to fix if it breaks. But then again, the whole car is like that. The handling is outstanding for a car its size and it does it with out sacraficing the ride. The interior is a little dated for today but it still is nice and doesn't have all the squeaks and rattles that would be expected from a car this old. Over all, if you don't have a strong mechanical back ground or a deep wallet this car is not for you.

Favorite Features

Selectable ride control. Instant power when needed. Good handling with Lincoln ride. Sports seats that keep you in place during hard cornering. The manual transmission. Usually doesn't get too much attention from the police when you are speeding.

Suggested Improvements

Drop the notchy 5 speed for a 6 speed, the extra gear would be nice. Bigger brakes for those back road and mountain drives. Lower curb weight.

1992 LX 5.0 HO
By SCOTTY

1992 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I am the 2nd owner of this car,and I am very happy with it. It had 306,000 miles on it when I bought it; now has 348,000 miles, and can still roast the tires. I have had no major problems with this car. Still rides smooth. I put in a blue oval chip [computer] and a larger MAF, and the car accelerates even better. I plan on keeping this car for as long as I can. And I get 18-22 in city, 25-30 hwy, depending how much pedal I put into it. I plan on a few more upgrades for this car. I can't believe the mileage on this car and the way it runs. I almost believe I can double the mileage [if I live that long]. The original owner had all the maintenance done on time. I am keeping up the tradition.

Favorite Features

Great cornering, smooth ride and a lot of room. 4 wheel independent suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the MN-12 body style,and 5.0, 302 High Output Engine, true dual exhaust, and higher performance torque converter, better flowing heads, and camshaft - wishful thinking though. I think I will do it myself, thank you very much.

THE SPO
By 92tbirdspo

1992 Ford Thunderbird Sport 2dr Coupe

This car has been in my family since it was bought from the dealership. My Dad gave me the car in 2001. The car has lasted a long time.

Favorite Features

V8. No speed limiter! IRS.

Suggested Improvements

The 8.8 needs a LIMITED SLIP. All disc brakes.