1992 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:
An oldie but goodie
By Doug T. on 09/09/09 19:23 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

I bought the car 2nd hand at a used car lot in Pa.($5,000} Made it safe to drive ($2500) and redid all the suspension ($1700). now its all restored it runs great and slightly oversize tires give it a mean look. Its a roomy midsize with the 3.8 v8 gives me 25mpg on the hwy. I work on it as it needs it. I Love My T-Bird.

Best Car Ever
By Denise on 10/25/08 23:14 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

Because I was a Bill Elliott fan, all I wanted was a bright red Thunderbird. When I saw this car, it was love at first sight. I am still driving it after 16 years. It still is a great handling car. My T-Bird still looks great and gets good gas mileage. Ford would recover faster if it starting building cars like this again.

Fun car, keep your wallet close.
By Hock on 09/03/08 10:23 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd SC and it is a blast to drive, when it runs. I bought it with bad head gaskets, the dealer ran 87 octane when it requires 91 or better. I have driven both the auto and 5 speed and the 5 speed is by far more fun than the auto though it is notchy and does get expensive to fix if it breaks. But then again, the whole car is like that. The handling is outstanding for a car its size and it does it with out sacraficing the ride. The interior is a little dated for today but it still is nice and doesn't have all the squeaks and rattles that would be expected from a car this old. Over all, if you don't have a strong mechanical back ground or a deep wallet this car is not for you.

1992 LX 5.0 HO
By SCOTTY on 01/03/07 04:44 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

I am the 2nd owner of this car,and I am very happy with it. It had 306,000 miles on it when I bought it; now has 348,000 miles, and can still roast the tires. I have had no major problems with this car. Still rides smooth. I put in a blue oval chip [computer] and a larger MAF, and the car accelerates even better. I plan on keeping this car for as long as I can. And I get 18-22 in city, 25-30 hwy, depending how much pedal I put into it. I plan on a few more upgrades for this car. I can't believe the mileage on this car and the way it runs. I almost believe I can double the mileage [if I live that long]. The original owner had all the maintenance done on time. I am keeping up the tradition.

THE SPO
By 92tbirdspo on 05/22/06 22:52 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Thunderbird Sport 2dr Coupe

This car has been in my family since it was bought from the dealership. My Dad gave me the car in 2001. The car has lasted a long time.

Low mileage driver review
By ron on 04/13/06 17:48 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

We bought the car because all our friends had new cars. The first thing we noticed was the effectiveness of the air conditioning, the smoothness of the ride and how well it cornered. We kept it in the garage mostly and we never had a hard time starting it. In fact, it would start without even pushing on the gas pedal. Compared to our 1983 Mustang, it was like driving a Cadillac. We always had problems with the Mustang trying to get it started. Not the Thunderbird. We'll miss it, but it's no longer appropriate for us to drive anymore. The interior looks the same as it did in 1992. No one's ever smoked in the car either.

buy a T-bird!
By imacountrygirl on 04/04/05 19:17 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

I bought this car in 2002 and have had minor problems. I've replaced the alternator, brake pads/shoes, battery, and tires. The rear axle has a slight leak. The car needs antifreeze filled every few months. I want to install new headlights because mine are very yellow. Also changed transmission fluid last summer. All warning lights work!

One Fast Bird!
By Damien on 03/11/05 00:18 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

The Thunderbird SuperCoupe was the coolest car Ford ever built. It's a shame that they did not keep making them. The most fun car I've ever driven!

Spectacular, sorta...
By D on 12/10/04 12:57 PM (PST)

1992 Ford Thunderbird Sport 2dr Coupe

As for someone who drives like I do (often driving quickly because my punctuality is less than impeccable), this car is atrocious. As plagues most older Ford vehicles, maintenance is terribly expensive. The gas mileage is rough, and the car holds about 26-30 gallons. However, the handling on this vehicle, despite its 12+ years of age, is still smoother than almost any car I've ever driven. It corners so easily and switching lanes, even at highway speeds is effortless. Despite the lack of leather seats, the car is very comfortable, and it would be excellent for longer road trips, if I wasn't scared of loosing parts as I drove.

1992 Super Coupe
By PClark on 03/13/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

Decent car but been known to blow head gaskets and it did. 2 of them in 70,000. If the engine could hold together would be a decent car. Owners might want to be machanics so they can repair the heads on their own