1991 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Review: Unreliable but Fun to Drive

1991 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Review

SC Coupe (3.8L V6 Supercharger 5-speed Manual)

Unreliable but Fun to Drive
By TbirdSC on

1991 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

I ordered the my T-bird SC new. So far it's been the most enjoyable car I've driven. It has a unique blend of performance and comfort. The vehicle is roomy and rides well. It handles like a much smaller car. It's a cross between a luxury car and muscle car. Unfortuantely I've had numerous problems with the vehicle from the very first week. This resulted in an alarming 90+ service invoices over 10yrs for problems outside of regular maintenance. The vehicle remains a very enjoyable and fun car to drive. Although the reliability has left me with a somewhat tarnished image of this product.

Favorite Features

The Supercharged V6 pulls like bull. It has the power of a muscle car with the comfort of a luxury vehicle. There is so much thrust on tap, the transmission rarely has to shift, even when passing.

Suggested Improvements

Quality is a mixed bag, the varies between being modernately acceptable to dismal. This car needs to be put on a diet. At nearly two tons it is one of the heaviest coupes and feels like it. Traction control or AWD would really help.