Used 1990 Ford Thunderbird Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

Great car!
By areldthomp

1990 Ford Thunderbird Coupe 2dr Coupe

I drove this car for over 325,000 miles. Yes, you read that right over 300,000 miles. I bought it in 1993 with 74,000 miles. It spent 4 years in Alaska without a block heater and no problems. I had the transmission rebuilt once, head gasket replaced, and radiator replaced. With regular maintenance it ran beautifully for additional 6 years. It still runs great. I would buy another one if they still made them in this body style. Have had it since 1993.

Favorite Features

Roominess, comfortable interior, power locks, seats, mirrors trunk release, smooth ride, large trunk, beautiful body style and clean lines.

Suggested Improvements

Motorized seat belts were a fad at the time.

Looks like a beater ... runs like a champ!
By psychoticdark

1990 Ford Thunderbird Coupe 2dr Coupe

In 08/2005, my boyfriend bought me the T-Bird. There was a lot of rust on it, and I was skeptical about it. The first time we drove it, there were no brakes. It needed a new master cylinder, both rear wheel cylinders needed replacing, also a new alternator. The previous owners really did not keep up on the car. Once we did all that, it ran GREAT! Someone smashed the passenger side window, then we failed inspection to a broken coil spring, so we put new struts on it and gave it 4 beautiful new tires, and it drove like new. My boyfriend then drove it into a tree stump, and even after the repairs for that, it runs like new and drives great. It has 136,000 miles on it and you'd never know it!

Favorite Features

Power seats. I love the ash tray - I think it's cute ... I just love the way it looks. The emblems give it a great look.

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS! Better clear coat job (90's T-birds are known for losing clear coat), T-bird emblems lighting up with headlights/brake lights, exterior frame stability, power locks, locking center console, rpm gauge on the dash.

Stylish but grew unreliable over time
By NWTransplant

1990 Ford Thunderbird Coupe 2dr Coupe

I got a base '90 T-bird at 59K miles and was happy at first. Satisfying performance, good cornering, spacious interior & trunk, and great styling that's unique to the old style big personal coupes. Hated the motorized seatbelts though. That's a bad substitute for an airbag. Around 85-90K miles, it began to deteriorate despite my careful maintenance: air conditioner compressor went dead, alternator died, battery literally exploded under the hood, and transmission required a costly rebuild after it got its fluid and filter changed at 90K. Head gasket blew a few months after I sold it at 93K miles. Not a good prospect for long- term reliability.

Favorite Features

Styling, civilized road manners, good fuel economy for a V6, big trunk and interior room.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission durability, 3.8-liter engine subject to head gasket failure, alternator and air conditioner troubles. Forget the motorized belts and go for an airbag instead!

Old faithful
By hellloooo_newman

1990 Ford Thunderbird Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 4 years ago with 112k. It now has 145k, it's the V6. I drove it across the country, and it has remained one of the few consistent things in my life for those years. I had an inexpensive transmission and brake problem, other than that NOTHING. It keeps going and going and going and going...you get the idea.

Favorite Features

Where to begin... COMFORT, handling, style, features, space, decent power, surprisingly good gas mileage, RELIABILITY, many others

Suggested Improvements

I had some minor electrical problems. I couldn't get the chime noise (bong, bong, bong) to stop at one point, it almost drove me insane.

T-bird
By Ron15003

1990 Ford Thunderbird Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car this past summer as a work/school car and i havent had a bit of trouble with it since. When i bought it, it had around 69,000 miles and currently has a little over 73,000. It is probably the most comfortable car ive ever driven or road in. Its nice and roomy, and i like the 3.8L engine. Its a pretty nice car for me, concidering im only 17. On occasion it does lack power though.

Favorite Features

Roomyness, rear-wheeled drive, power everything, rear defroster, looks, cornering ability

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power on hills, sound system (am/fm radio gets boring and speakers dont sound too great),