Used 1990 Ford Thunderbird Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

1990 Ford Thunderbird

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:

One of the best I ever had
By Big Dog

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

I''ve had several Fords and two T- Bird. My first was an `85 that lost an argument with a snow plow. I ordered a bright red 1989, but it came it was white; I said I'd take it only if they painted it red. They refused but ordered it again; I received it as a 1990. I wasn't disappointed. Great looking, great handling (smaller turning radius than my wife's Subaru). Living in Chicago and New York I mainly drove my T-Bird long distances, and they were dream drives. I once rented a non-SC for 3 weeks while shooting a Rte. 66 documentary. It was good, but my SC was far better. Wish I had it now, but times changed and I aged, so I donated it to charity.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, looks, not necessarily in that order.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job on the bumpers. Every time somebody bumped me, the paint cracked, even with the "flex" included. My biggest suggestion would be to bring it back, and make me 21 again, the way I felt while driving it.

Birds Fly!
By Franky_402

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

I bought this car on my birthday, and the five speed is awesome. I have killed many a Mustang in this car. It was very advanced for its age, and well thought out! Some people complain about the head gaskets. I would rather replace those than the whole engine block! Moonroof, cd player, power everything, ke, auto belts, very smooth ride and turning!

Favorite Features

CD player, moonroof, 5 speed, pretty much everything is perfect!

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, not a single one. I guess Ford didn't want anyone to drink and drive

Great car!
By areldthomp

1990 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

I drove this car for over 325,000 miles. Yes, you read that right over 300,000 miles. I bought it in 1993 with 74,000 miles. It spent 4 years in Alaska without a block heater and no problems. I had the transmission rebuilt once, head gasket replaced, and radiator replaced. With regular maintenance it ran beautifully for additional 6 years. It still runs great. I would buy another one if they still made them in this body style. Have had it since 1993.

Favorite Features

Roominess, comfortable interior, power locks, seats, mirrors trunk release, smooth ride, large trunk, beautiful body style and clean lines.

Suggested Improvements

Motorized seat belts were a fad at the time.

Looks like a beater ... runs like a champ!
By psychoticdark

1990 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

In 08/2005, my boyfriend bought me the T-Bird. There was a lot of rust on it, and I was skeptical about it. The first time we drove it, there were no brakes. It needed a new master cylinder, both rear wheel cylinders needed replacing, also a new alternator. The previous owners really did not keep up on the car. Once we did all that, it ran GREAT! Someone smashed the passenger side window, then we failed inspection to a broken coil spring, so we put new struts on it and gave it 4 beautiful new tires, and it drove like new. My boyfriend then drove it into a tree stump, and even after the repairs for that, it runs like new and drives great. It has 136,000 miles on it and you'd never know it!

Favorite Features

Power seats. I love the ash tray - I think it's cute ... I just love the way it looks. The emblems give it a great look.

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS! Better clear coat job (90's T-birds are known for losing clear coat), T-bird emblems lighting up with headlights/brake lights, exterior frame stability, power locks, locking center console, rpm gauge on the dash.

1990 T-Bird
By KPtoledo

1990 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

This car has been in the family since 1991. My mother originally bought the car and racked the mileage up to 101,000 on the 3.8. Since then I have brought it up to 176,544. Reliable? Yes for the most part. I blew the head gaskets once while being a "kid", and this was at 105,000. At the time of rebuild, all items were replaced; water pump, starter, etc. The transmission has held up great and never slipped. The suspension hasn't seemed to hold up to much. This month marks the 3rd time all front end suspension parts will have been replaced. Rust? Lots of it. The rocker panels are well known for it. I had the rust removed and sheet metal welded in, but that only lasted a year.