1990 Ford Thunderbird - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Thunderbird model:
One of the best I ever had
By Big Dog on 12/23/09 14:25 PM (PST)

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

I''ve had several Fords and two T- Bird. My first was an `85 that lost an argument with a snow plow. I ordered a bright red 1989, but it came it was white; I said I'd take it only if they painted it red. They refused but ordered it again; I received it as a 1990. I wasn't disappointed. Great looking, great handling (smaller turning radius than my wife's Subaru). Living in Chicago and New York I mainly drove my T-Bird long distances, and they were dream drives. I once rented a non-SC for 3 weeks while shooting a Rte. 66 documentary. It was good, but my SC was far better. Wish I had it now, but times changed and I aged, so I donated it to charity.

Birds Fly!
By Franky_402 on 03/12/08 22:08 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

I bought this car on my birthday, and the five speed is awesome. I have killed many a Mustang in this car. It was very advanced for its age, and well thought out! Some people complain about the head gaskets. I would rather replace those than the whole engine block! Moonroof, cd player, power everything, ke, auto belts, very smooth ride and turning!

Great car!
By areldthomp on 03/04/06 07:11 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

I drove this car for over 325,000 miles. Yes, you read that right over 300,000 miles. I bought it in 1993 with 74,000 miles. It spent 4 years in Alaska without a block heater and no problems. I had the transmission rebuilt once, head gasket replaced, and radiator replaced. With regular maintenance it ran beautifully for additional 6 years. It still runs great. I would buy another one if they still made them in this body style. Have had it since 1993.

Looks like a beater ... runs like a champ!
By psychoticdark on 10/21/05 21:31 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

In 08/2005, my boyfriend bought me the T-Bird. There was a lot of rust on it, and I was skeptical about it. The first time we drove it, there were no brakes. It needed a new master cylinder, both rear wheel cylinders needed replacing, also a new alternator. The previous owners really did not keep up on the car. Once we did all that, it ran GREAT! Someone smashed the passenger side window, then we failed inspection to a broken coil spring, so we put new struts on it and gave it 4 beautiful new tires, and it drove like new. My boyfriend then drove it into a tree stump, and even after the repairs for that, it runs like new and drives great. It has 136,000 miles on it and you'd never know it!

1990 T-Bird
By KPtoledo on 06/01/05 19:48 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Thunderbird LX 2dr Coupe

This car has been in the family since 1991. My mother originally bought the car and racked the mileage up to 101,000 on the 3.8. Since then I have brought it up to 176,544. Reliable? Yes for the most part. I blew the head gaskets once while being a "kid", and this was at 105,000. At the time of rebuild, all items were replaced; water pump, starter, etc. The transmission has held up great and never slipped. The suspension hasn't seemed to hold up to much. This month marks the 3rd time all front end suspension parts will have been replaced. Rust? Lots of it. The rocker panels are well known for it. I had the rust removed and sheet metal welded in, but that only lasted a year.

Stylish but grew unreliable over time
By NWTransplant on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

I got a base '90 T-bird at 59K miles and was happy at first. Satisfying performance, good cornering, spacious interior & trunk, and great styling that's unique to the old style big personal coupes. Hated the motorized seatbelts though. That's a bad substitute for an airbag. Around 85-90K miles, it began to deteriorate despite my careful maintenance: air conditioner compressor went dead, alternator died, battery literally exploded under the hood, and transmission required a costly rebuild after it got its fluid and filter changed at 90K. Head gasket blew a few months after I sold it at 93K miles. Not a good prospect for long- term reliability.

Old Faithful looking a little worn
By A-in-CT on 04/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car since 1991. Drove in in hard winters--repainted it once and got a new bumpter. The only thing that went wrong in 13yrs was an alternator, an oil leak and cosmetic stuff. The engine runs terrific--- still can go 100 up a big hill with no issue :) These are great and fun cars-- if you are ever thinking of buying one. Its just kind of sad this car is considered "old"..I remember when I first drove it up to work and it turned peoples heads...now people look at it and turn their head (hahah)

Thunderbird sc
By turbospeed on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Thunderbird SC 2dr Coupe

great car , it will be perfect if ford didnt cut the cost so much visit www.sccoa.com for more info

Old faithful
By hellloooo_newman on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

I bought this car 4 years ago with 112k. It now has 145k, it's the V6. I drove it across the country, and it has remained one of the few consistent things in my life for those years. I had an inexpensive transmission and brake problem, other than that NOTHING. It keeps going and going and going and going...you get the idea.

T-bird
By Ron15003 on 12/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Thunderbird 2dr Coupe

I bought this car this past summer as a work/school car and i havent had a bit of trouble with it since. When i bought it, it had around 69,000 miles and currently has a little over 73,000. It is probably the most comfortable car ive ever driven or road in. Its nice and roomy, and i like the 3.8L engine. Its a pretty nice car for me, concidering im only 17. On occasion it does lack power though.