1994 Ford Tempo Consumer Review: Avoid

1994 Ford Tempo - Consumer Review

GL Coupe (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

By Dave on

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

This car is trouble. I've replaced 4 tie rod ends within a year and a half and three ball joints within the last three months. It had a run-in with a hit-and-run driver and I had to replace the grille and headlight area. This car was designed by a moron: it took an hour to replace the grille (compared with 10 minutes for my 92 Buick Skylark). Inside it's OK. Fuel: I got about 26 mpg when the tires were aligned and the ball joints and tie rods were OK and it wasn't burning through mass air flow sensors. Don't save the money or the gas. Also, the driver's side seatbelt stopped moving on its track and had to be replaced. In short, don't get this car.

Decent gas mileage, love the acceleration in my standard, but maybe it's been too long since I had a real car.

Fix the design flaws. Put the oil filter where normal people can reach it. Design the body so it can be easily swapped out if it gets banged up. And don't use those automatic seatbelts. Anything automatic tends to break.