Used 1994 Ford Tempo GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Not Bad
By KK

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I am now on my second Tempo. My first one was a 1992 which I found to be a better car and it did not have those annoying automatic seatbelts. I bought this car in 2005 with only 23K miles on it (it now has 78K) but it did have some "issues" I have replaced the starter, fuel pump, distributor, wiring, some kinda thing in the front end that holds the motor in, brakes, and likely other stuff I have forgotten. Still all in all it's fairly cheap transportation, it starts good and is quite comfortable to drive. I've done Califoria to Canada in it 6 times. It does tend to have an overheating problem and I'm not sure why but I still like the car and enjoy driving it. Would I get Tempo #3, not likely.

Trunk space, good headroom and leg room. Not too ugly to look at and so far quite cheap to fix.

Seat belts freak out my passengers. Drink holder is under the dash not good for tall cups.

Wanting to trade it
By Medic

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got it from my parents who got it off my grandparents, in my opinion a great little grandma/grandpa car where you don't drive it a ton. Things I fixed in the last two years: tie rods, struts, brakes, valve cover gasket, fuel pump (long story there) headlight switch, oil pan leaks, head gasket leaks. In all honesty it was an ok car (it drove the Alaska highway round trip and spent a few years up there) it did leave me stranded multiple times before anyone figured out it was the fuel pump, which shook my confidence in it, lots of little things on the blink, the headlight switch keeps leaving all the lights on even after replacing it. 144k mi, time for a trade and a little Peace of mind.

it does handle nice and like I said it made it up the ALCAN and back.

I do have to agree that while looking for a new car I have been looking at anything so long as it's not a FORD just had too many little problems with this guy. P.S. my Tempo burns through the L headlights like crazy, every few months, no clue why, just part of it's personality I think

1994 Ford Tempo GL
By Ben Kromminga

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

On the whole my experience with the Tempo has been a pleasant one. The exterior styling is clean but on the bland side. Fuel economy has averaged 25 miles per gallon, good but not terrific. Inside everything is comfortable and well laid out. Taller drivers might find it a bit cozy. On the performance side, acceleration with the four banger is adequate but not likely to raise your heart rate. It seems the transmission has no idea what to do when you stomp on the gas until it has thought everything out for several moments. The Tempo handles securely but take it slow through the twisties. Over all, the Ford Tempo's greatest strength is in low cost basic transportation.

I like the set-up of climate controls and the windshield wipers along with the light-dimmer.

Considering that the Tempo hasn't been sold as a new car for thirteen years, I don't have any suggestions for improving it.

Commuter car
By Serega

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Hi all. I bought this car with 140K on it two years ago. What can I say - if you expect this car to be a lot of fun then don't buy it. The only advantage of this car is its price. Don't hope for high mpg - it consumes gasoline in large amounts. 3 speed automatic is paired nicely with a low-end torque 4 cylinder engine. Probably this is the reason why the transmission survives that long. The car overall is quite reliable if maintained properly. So, my conclusion is: if you need a bit just a mean of transportation from A to B and you never drive at high speeds - then this is a car for you. Otherwise, steer clear away it.

Low end torque engine, cheap, quite roomy for a compact.

Noise isolation, 4speed AT, 6 cylinder engine, and more.

I HATE THIS CAR
By fed-up

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

this car has been in the shop more times than i can count. a very slight rear-end incident left the bumper cracked and scratched. it takes me at least 3 tries to start it every morning.

the automatic windows, mirrors, and driver seat, and the AC and heat.

everything. you'd be better off getting anything else.