1994 Ford Tempo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:
Not Bad
By KK on 11/12/08 12:46 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I am now on my second Tempo. My first one was a 1992 which I found to be a better car and it did not have those annoying automatic seatbelts. I bought this car in 2005 with only 23K miles on it (it now has 78K) but it did have some "issues" I have replaced the starter, fuel pump, distributor, wiring, some kinda thing in the front end that holds the motor in, brakes, and likely other stuff I have forgotten. Still all in all it's fairly cheap transportation, it starts good and is quite comfortable to drive. I've done Califoria to Canada in it 6 times. It does tend to have an overheating problem and I'm not sure why but I still like the car and enjoy driving it. Would I get Tempo #3, not likely.

Wanting to trade it
By Medic on 09/07/08 07:12 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got it from my parents who got it off my grandparents, in my opinion a great little grandma/grandpa car where you don't drive it a ton. Things I fixed in the last two years: tie rods, struts, brakes, valve cover gasket, fuel pump (long story there) headlight switch, oil pan leaks, head gasket leaks. In all honesty it was an ok car (it drove the Alaska highway round trip and spent a few years up there) it did leave me stranded multiple times before anyone figured out it was the fuel pump, which shook my confidence in it, lots of little things on the blink, the headlight switch keeps leaving all the lights on even after replacing it. 144k mi, time for a trade and a little Peace of mind.

1994 Ford Tempo GL
By Ben Kromminga on 02/26/07 10:04 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

On the whole my experience with the Tempo has been a pleasant one. The exterior styling is clean but on the bland side. Fuel economy has averaged 25 miles per gallon, good but not terrific. Inside everything is comfortable and well laid out. Taller drivers might find it a bit cozy. On the performance side, acceleration with the four banger is adequate but not likely to raise your heart rate. It seems the transmission has no idea what to do when you stomp on the gas until it has thought everything out for several moments. The Tempo handles securely but take it slow through the twisties. Over all, the Ford Tempo's greatest strength is in low cost basic transportation.

Commuter car
By Serega on 05/22/05 15:38 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Hi all. I bought this car with 140K on it two years ago. What can I say - if you expect this car to be a lot of fun then don't buy it. The only advantage of this car is its price. Don't hope for high mpg - it consumes gasoline in large amounts. 3 speed automatic is paired nicely with a low-end torque 4 cylinder engine. Probably this is the reason why the transmission survives that long. The car overall is quite reliable if maintained properly. So, my conclusion is: if you need a bit just a mean of transportation from A to B and you never drive at high speeds - then this is a car for you. Otherwise, steer clear away it.

I HATE THIS CAR
By fed-up on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

this car has been in the shop more times than i can count. a very slight rear-end incident left the bumper cracked and scratched. it takes me at least 3 tries to start it every morning.

Ugh.
By Elizabeth Z. on 01/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

So far I've had to get the brakes done twice, a new clutch, tie rods, struts, and wheel bearings. And it STILL has front end problems! The engine rattles and the heater is lukewarm. The horn only works if you turn the wheel about 90 degrees to the left. The headlights are dim. It's uncomfortable-very little legroom & no tilt wheel so you have to squeeze yourself into it. And the cupholder's under the dash console & behind the gear shift. It handles like a snowplow and is scary to drive in the winter (if it starts). I hate this car.

Tempo -rary
By originalowner on 10/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Over 100k, this has been a fairly reliable, american car. My list: partial tranny $700 80K brakes 40,90 window lifters 6 of them (that sucked) tie rod, susp $400 70 starter $125 100 radiator pending a/c small fix thing Anyone who rips the Tempo probably is expecting too much from life. Anyone who praises the Tempo too much is delusional. I agree with the review that called this a good cheap car. Good for your High School kid to ruin.

Lemonaide anyone?
By NowHateFords on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

At 135,000 miles, the transmission is now shot, had the calipers stick (replaced rotors, calipers, and obviously bought new pads). Tie rod were replaced (all 4, just like my previous car--Taurus), a harmonic balancer, and a new tensioner arm. Did I mention the oil leak from the seals?

Tempo kicks a$$!
By Neg_Pol on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My Tempo is the best cheap car I've ever driven! It's comfortable, it looks nice (at least mine does), and it hardly ever breaks. It has bad pickup, but that can be fixed. And it's great for new drivers cause for the very same reason.

Great little car
By Juggles on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I am a low milaeage driver in New York City. This is a great dependable car, that fits easily into parking spots. This car has never given me any trouble, have only had regular maintainence repairs.