Used 1994 Ford Tempo GL Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

GL 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

My Tempo is money saver
By really nice car

1994 Ford Tempo Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

Hey, I got 94 Tempo and it's a great car. I dont see why people dont like it. Great on gas. Believe it or not but I get 37 to 42 mpg with my coupe. As long as you treat it nice it will treat you nice!

Favorite Features

Mileage, engine, tranny, electric sunroof, sound system.

Not Bad At All
By C Mor

1994 Ford Tempo Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

I got my Tempo from my Grandpa for free. It was my Grandma's but she barely drove it. When I got it July of last year, it had 44,500 miles on it and is only at 50,100 miles. The body is almost mint except for the few small dings from the parking lot. It sat on a gravel driveway for almost 7 years, only being driven a couple of times a month. Because of that, it's very rusty under the hood and chassis, but everything works pretty well. It has all of the original parts except the battery, brakes, and tires and everything seems to be holding up fairly well. Not too many complaints here except for the fact it's a Ford and it's old

Favorite Features

Still runs with no problem. The automatic seatbelts are not bad either. Has a great suspension for how old it is, the ride is very smooth and it's very difficult to lose control in slick conditions. I've tried but it stayed pretty straight.

Suggested Improvements

No trunk button. I have to turn off the car and get out to open the trunk. It would be better if it were a Chevy, but it was free, can't really complain.

Hay it was a free car
By Red Neck

1994 Ford Tempo Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

I got this car for free from a lady, it was in bad shape. I fix cars for fun, so I took the car. Well $1,950 later, and tons of cuts later and it runs as good as it is going to for the high high miles on it. When anyone ask me about my car I say "The only thing I pass is the gas station". I say for a high school kid this car would be good, it taken a beating keep on running, just don't run into the curb faster then 5 mph, you'll bend the body.

Favorite Features

Just that I pass a gas station, has not left me on the road and that my A/C works.

Suggested Improvements

Let see, automatic seat belts. The 2.3 L 4 inline HSC motor seal gives out easy which means replacement at least once, and oh, it leaks oil from oil pan still when I did a gasket replacement but the TSB helped with that.

Avoid
By Dave

1994 Ford Tempo Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

This car is trouble. I've replaced 4 tie rod ends within a year and a half and three ball joints within the last three months. It had a run-in with a hit-and-run driver and I had to replace the grille and headlight area. This car was designed by a moron: it took an hour to replace the grille (compared with 10 minutes for my 92 Buick Skylark). Inside it's OK. Fuel: I got about 26 mpg when the tires were aligned and the ball joints and tie rods were OK and it wasn't burning through mass air flow sensors. Don't save the money or the gas. Also, the driver's side seatbelt stopped moving on its track and had to be replaced. In short, don't get this car.

Favorite Features

Decent gas mileage, love the acceleration in my standard, but maybe it's been too long since I had a real car.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the design flaws. Put the oil filter where normal people can reach it. Design the body so it can be easily swapped out if it gets banged up. And don't use those automatic seatbelts. Anything automatic tends to break.

Wonderful car
By Cindy311

1994 Ford Tempo Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

This car is a lot of fun to drive. It handles well, isn't bad on gas mileage. Mine just got totaled in an accident and I'm very upset. With about 144K miles, it still cost me just routine maintenance! 5 speed manual transmission, brakes, engine, power steering, EVERYTHING original equipment. HIGHLY recommended.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission. Only my second manual, handles very well on hills, smooth transitions between gears.

Suggested Improvements

Little "sporty-er" looking.