Used 1994 Ford Tempo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Not Bad
By KK

1994 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I am now on my second Tempo. My first one was a 1992 which I found to be a better car and it did not have those annoying automatic seatbelts. I bought this car in 2005 with only 23K miles on it (it now has 78K) but it did have some "issues" I have replaced the starter, fuel pump, distributor, wiring, some kinda thing in the front end that holds the motor in, brakes, and likely other stuff I have forgotten. Still all in all it's fairly cheap transportation, it starts good and is quite comfortable to drive. I've done Califoria to Canada in it 6 times. It does tend to have an overheating problem and I'm not sure why but I still like the car and enjoy driving it. Would I get Tempo #3, not likely.

Trunk space, good headroom and leg room. Not too ugly to look at and so far quite cheap to fix.

Seat belts freak out my passengers. Drink holder is under the dash not good for tall cups.

Wanting to trade it
By Medic

1994 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I got it from my parents who got it off my grandparents, in my opinion a great little grandma/grandpa car where you don't drive it a ton. Things I fixed in the last two years: tie rods, struts, brakes, valve cover gasket, fuel pump (long story there) headlight switch, oil pan leaks, head gasket leaks. In all honesty it was an ok car (it drove the Alaska highway round trip and spent a few years up there) it did leave me stranded multiple times before anyone figured out it was the fuel pump, which shook my confidence in it, lots of little things on the blink, the headlight switch keeps leaving all the lights on even after replacing it. 144k mi, time for a trade and a little Peace of mind.

it does handle nice and like I said it made it up the ALCAN and back.

I do have to agree that while looking for a new car I have been looking at anything so long as it's not a FORD just had too many little problems with this guy. P.S. my Tempo burns through the L headlights like crazy, every few months, no clue why, just part of it's personality I think

My Tempo is money saver
By really nice car

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

Hey, I got 94 Tempo and it's a great car. I dont see why people dont like it. Great on gas. Believe it or not but I get 37 to 42 mpg with my coupe. As long as you treat it nice it will treat you nice!

Mileage, engine, tranny, electric sunroof, sound system.

Not Bad At All
By C Mor

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

I got my Tempo from my Grandpa for free. It was my Grandma's but she barely drove it. When I got it July of last year, it had 44,500 miles on it and is only at 50,100 miles. The body is almost mint except for the few small dings from the parking lot. It sat on a gravel driveway for almost 7 years, only being driven a couple of times a month. Because of that, it's very rusty under the hood and chassis, but everything works pretty well. It has all of the original parts except the battery, brakes, and tires and everything seems to be holding up fairly well. Not too many complaints here except for the fact it's a Ford and it's old

Still runs with no problem. The automatic seatbelts are not bad either. Has a great suspension for how old it is, the ride is very smooth and it's very difficult to lose control in slick conditions. I've tried but it stayed pretty straight.

No trunk button. I have to turn off the car and get out to open the trunk. It would be better if it were a Chevy, but it was free, can't really complain.

1994 Ford Tempo GL
By Ben Kromminga

1994 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

On the whole my experience with the Tempo has been a pleasant one. The exterior styling is clean but on the bland side. Fuel economy has averaged 25 miles per gallon, good but not terrific. Inside everything is comfortable and well laid out. Taller drivers might find it a bit cozy. On the performance side, acceleration with the four banger is adequate but not likely to raise your heart rate. It seems the transmission has no idea what to do when you stomp on the gas until it has thought everything out for several moments. The Tempo handles securely but take it slow through the twisties. Over all, the Ford Tempo's greatest strength is in low cost basic transportation.

I like the set-up of climate controls and the windshield wipers along with the light-dimmer.

Considering that the Tempo hasn't been sold as a new car for thirteen years, I don't have any suggestions for improving it.