1994 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:
Not Bad
By KK on 11/12/08 12:46 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I am now on my second Tempo. My first one was a 1992 which I found to be a better car and it did not have those annoying automatic seatbelts. I bought this car in 2005 with only 23K miles on it (it now has 78K) but it did have some "issues" I have replaced the starter, fuel pump, distributor, wiring, some kinda thing in the front end that holds the motor in, brakes, and likely other stuff I have forgotten. Still all in all it's fairly cheap transportation, it starts good and is quite comfortable to drive. I've done Califoria to Canada in it 6 times. It does tend to have an overheating problem and I'm not sure why but I still like the car and enjoy driving it. Would I get Tempo #3, not likely.

Wanting to trade it
By Medic on 09/07/08 07:12 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I got it from my parents who got it off my grandparents, in my opinion a great little grandma/grandpa car where you don't drive it a ton. Things I fixed in the last two years: tie rods, struts, brakes, valve cover gasket, fuel pump (long story there) headlight switch, oil pan leaks, head gasket leaks. In all honesty it was an ok car (it drove the Alaska highway round trip and spent a few years up there) it did leave me stranded multiple times before anyone figured out it was the fuel pump, which shook my confidence in it, lots of little things on the blink, the headlight switch keeps leaving all the lights on even after replacing it. 144k mi, time for a trade and a little Peace of mind.

My Tempo is money saver
By really nice car on 06/17/08 08:42 AM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

Hey, I got 94 Tempo and it's a great car. I dont see why people dont like it. Great on gas. Believe it or not but I get 37 to 42 mpg with my coupe. As long as you treat it nice it will treat you nice!

Not Bad At All
By C Mor on 04/04/07 16:44 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

I got my Tempo from my Grandpa for free. It was my Grandma's but she barely drove it. When I got it July of last year, it had 44,500 miles on it and is only at 50,100 miles. The body is almost mint except for the few small dings from the parking lot. It sat on a gravel driveway for almost 7 years, only being driven a couple of times a month. Because of that, it's very rusty under the hood and chassis, but everything works pretty well. It has all of the original parts except the battery, brakes, and tires and everything seems to be holding up fairly well. Not too many complaints here except for the fact it's a Ford and it's old

1994 Ford Tempo GL
By Ben Kromminga on 02/26/07 10:04 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

On the whole my experience with the Tempo has been a pleasant one. The exterior styling is clean but on the bland side. Fuel economy has averaged 25 miles per gallon, good but not terrific. Inside everything is comfortable and well laid out. Taller drivers might find it a bit cozy. On the performance side, acceleration with the four banger is adequate but not likely to raise your heart rate. It seems the transmission has no idea what to do when you stomp on the gas until it has thought everything out for several moments. The Tempo handles securely but take it slow through the twisties. Over all, the Ford Tempo's greatest strength is in low cost basic transportation.

Hay it was a free car
By Red Neck on 01/18/07 05:15 AM (PST)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

I got this car for free from a lady, it was in bad shape. I fix cars for fun, so I took the car. Well $1,950 later, and tons of cuts later and it runs as good as it is going to for the high high miles on it. When anyone ask me about my car I say "The only thing I pass is the gas station". I say for a high school kid this car would be good, it taken a beating keep on running, just don't run into the curb faster then 5 mph, you'll bend the body.

Avoid
By Dave on 12/08/06 20:36 PM (PST)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

This car is trouble. I've replaced 4 tie rod ends within a year and a half and three ball joints within the last three months. It had a run-in with a hit-and-run driver and I had to replace the grille and headlight area. This car was designed by a moron: it took an hour to replace the grille (compared with 10 minutes for my 92 Buick Skylark). Inside it's OK. Fuel: I got about 26 mpg when the tires were aligned and the ball joints and tie rods were OK and it wasn't burning through mass air flow sensors. Don't save the money or the gas. Also, the driver's side seatbelt stopped moving on its track and had to be replaced. In short, don't get this car.

Wonderful car
By Cindy311 on 07/21/05 13:21 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

This car is a lot of fun to drive. It handles well, isn't bad on gas mileage. Mine just got totaled in an accident and I'm very upset. With about 144K miles, it still cost me just routine maintenance! 5 speed manual transmission, brakes, engine, power steering, EVERYTHING original equipment. HIGHLY recommended.

Commuter car
By Serega on 05/22/05 15:38 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

Hi all. I bought this car with 140K on it two years ago. What can I say - if you expect this car to be a lot of fun then don't buy it. The only advantage of this car is its price. Don't hope for high mpg - it consumes gasoline in large amounts. 3 speed automatic is paired nicely with a low-end torque 4 cylinder engine. Probably this is the reason why the transmission survives that long. The car overall is quite reliable if maintained properly. So, my conclusion is: if you need a bit just a mean of transportation from A to B and you never drive at high speeds - then this is a car for you. Otherwise, steer clear away it.

Car has gotten me through a lot!
By Jelly Belly on 05/19/05 13:18 PM (PDT)

1994 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for two years now and it has been great so far. I bought it for $1200 with 156,000 kms. It now has 230,000 kms and it's still going strong. The only problems I've had with this car have been minor. I've done regular oil changes. Tie rod ends have had to be replaced but the parts don't cost too much. It's gotten me to a lot of places. The experience I've had with it is that it's a reliable car. I mean it's no luxury car by any means but it is a good cheap car. Never had any problems with it starting up in the cold weather either. I'd recommend the Tempo for anyone looking for a cheap car.