Used 1993 Ford Tempo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

1993 Ford Tempo

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Ford Tempo - Works For Me!
By Matthew

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I have had little to no problems with the car. I did have to have the speedometer cable replaced several times due to it being noisy. Otherwise, while keeping it maintained, it's been a perfect car for 13 years.

Favorite Features

I like how it looks. It has good get- up, being the 6. It's easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more room for the passenger, and back seats. Big people always have a tight fit.

keeps on chugging
By dumbo

1993 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

198m000 miles with no major repairs; what more do I need to say. I want a new car but how can you give up on the "humbler" (that's what we call it because it's a humbling experience to drive the "humbler").

Favorite Features

Easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Front suspension is lacking.

1993 Tempo
By Matthew Belcher

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I have had excellent luck with my car. The only thing that has been wrong with it is that the speedometer cable has made noise throughout the years. I have had it fixed many times by Ford, yet it still makes noise. The car rides rough, and doesn't do well in the snow. Otherwise, very reliable, no big problems at all.

Favorite Features

Ease of drive.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little better ride, and gas mileage (I have the 6).

Good car
By Serega

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car a year ago, and so far here's what I think: It may not have an outstanding exterior/interior, the ride and handling is average, and the limit of 80 mph is definitely not too much. However, I didn't have any major problems with it, only usual maintenance. I particularly like 126ft*lb at only 2000-3000Rpm (4cyl) - you can outrun most of the cars if you wish when you start at traffic light. So my impression is: Ford Tempo is a good car to for beginners. Reliability strongly depends on the way the car was maintained.

Favorite Features

High torque at low RPM. Strong A/C. Quite large trunk. Enough space for four. Standard sound system is not bad. Doesn't have much electronics, so there's little to go wrong.

Suggested Improvements

On the freeway the noise level is high. Better noise reduction would be nice.

Well pleased with car
By MrSoundman

1993 Ford Tempo LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a friend in 1998.It has the 4 cylinder engine. It had 140,000+ miles on it at the time I bought it.I have driven for six years and 50,000 miles with only minor problems (mostly normal wear items).I did have some problems with the power door locks not working properly. The original transmission finally failed at 194,000 miles but the original engine still runs great and all the accessories still work including the AC.I can't decide whether to fix it or look for another Tempo.I have been well pleased with the car.

Favorite Features

Good balance of fuel economy and performance. Extremely reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate the controls for the power seat.They are are in a very awkward position to get to.