1993 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:
Love my Tempos
By rokey on 06/13/12 22:06 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1993 2 yrs ago...the engine had blown on my van ... got the car for $600.00 it has 57,000 miles on the engine (verified by a couple of mechanics)...the whole car is immaculate ... came to visit my sis a few thousand miles away & am staying a lil longer than anticipated so decided to check craigslist for a car and found another 1993 Tempo for $400.00 in September '12 and I kid you not, same story, immaculate...God was lookin out for me! anyhow, both cars are, well unbelievable inside & out.....no engine knocks, don't use oil, bodies are in good shape...economical on gas ...I highly recommend this car! Mine are automatic transmission

1993 GL V6 Tempo
By D. Goodrode on 07/01/10 22:43 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

Got it with 86k on it, needed complete tune-up, 3.0 V6 is great, trans has no O.D. or lock up converter, but shifts great, (shades of the 1960's), put 10% over size tires on front, get 22 to 26 MPG average, everything works on the car, 42 Degree A/C on 95 Degree days, change oil with 15w40 Diesel oil every 4k miles, runs like a Swiss watch, no oil leaks, usual maintenance items, car now has 102k on it, good riding car, kind of boring to drive, but so far very very reliable, good daily driver, what more could you want for $900.00? Looking for a reason to get a newer car but the darn thing just won't give me a reason to retire it!

Buy A FORD
By M. Horsey on 06/17/09 06:59 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

Ford Tempo for us was an excellent choice. Still in wonderful condition, not a spec of rust. Rarely repaired - (no majors!)oil/filter every 3 months/ new brakes/ tires, that is basically it. Drives and runs like a gem! We also currently, own (bought new) a 2000 FORD TAURUS wagon, again more than pleased. We have had FORDs - always bought new, since 1966.

It is a good first car
By Jess on 10/11/08 17:04 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car for myself for by birthday two years ago for $500, it had over 144k miles on it, now it has 156k. The top gloss paint has since worn off and I have spent over $1500 on it to fix all the problems like the brake lines, starter, battery, e-brake cable, and exhaust system twice. The window in the back no longer works, and one of the power locks doesn't work. The liner in the trunk is no longer attached, there is a lot of rust. But it is good on gas and gets me where I need to be, although at 55 mph it gets the shakes, not good in the winter, it gets stuck a lot. But it has been Nice while I've had it.

tempo from hell
By striker5799 on 01/17/08 21:08 PM (PST)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

i rather like the tempo. it has started to break down on me though, it only has 55k on it. but i put it through alot. i put a custom air intake in it though. it actually made it feel like it had more power. it also has an awesome sound system with a sony xplod stereo, 4 aftermarket speakers, and two 12 inch subs in the trunk. my oil pan gasket is bad and causing tranny fluid to slightly leak through so i had to keep adding more though. and it vibrates alot over 60 mph. also alot of screws have worked their way out of their holes, mostly due to vibrations from my sound system. i dont think it'l last me much longer though

Ford Tempo - Works For Me!
By Matthew on 05/15/06 18:20 PM (PDT)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I have had little to no problems with the car. I did have to have the speedometer cable replaced several times due to it being noisy. Otherwise, while keeping it maintained, it's been a perfect car for 13 years.

1993 Tempo
By Matthew Belcher on 05/13/05 00:32 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I have had excellent luck with my car. The only thing that has been wrong with it is that the speedometer cable has made noise throughout the years. I have had it fixed many times by Ford, yet it still makes noise. The car rides rough, and doesn't do well in the snow. Otherwise, very reliable, no big problems at all.

Good car
By Serega on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car a year ago, and so far here's what I think: It may not have an outstanding exterior/interior, the ride and handling is average, and the limit of 80 mph is definitely not too much. However, I didn't have any major problems with it, only usual maintenance. I particularly like 126ft*lb at only 2000-3000Rpm (4cyl) - you can outrun most of the cars if you wish when you start at traffic light. So my impression is: Ford Tempo is a good car to for beginners. Reliability strongly depends on the way the car was maintained.

Won't Stop Running
By MPJM on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I really like the car. It has a lot of get up and go still left in it. I really having V6 engine and I like having the 5-speed manual. The engine has never ever broken down on the first owners or on me. The only thing that is wrong with the car is that the right- rear door's lock will not come up and the window motor died. And I only have one power door lock left. The A/C is ice cold. Very good car to drive and reliable car.

Good first car
By CAC on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1993 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and it was my first car. It looked nice and handled well. About 3 years ago, the clear coating over the paint started to peel away and now the car looks horrible. I've noticed that many other Fords have the same problem. I contacted Ford but they deny any problems with the paint. The car was working well for me until about 3 years ago. Now, on an annual basis I'm putting about $1,500 and I think it's time to look for a new vehicle...it is 11 years old after all. It's been generally reliable but I don't trust it on the interstate...sounds like a sick dog once I take it over 55 MPH.