Impressive car.
By John on
1992 Ford Tempo LX 4dr Sedan
I have owned this car for years, and I seriously cannot fault it for it's service despite my constant abuse. The one item that has been troublesome is the 3-speed automatic transmission, but I love the car so much despite it that I am planning to swap it out for a manual trans as soon as I can. I love the car so much that I just bought a '91 Tempo GLS 4cyl/5-speed to drive until I can swap a manual into the LX. I've taken about 20 cross- country trips in the LX, it never let me down. Despite the 3-speed/V6 combo, it gets respectable MPG as well. It currently has just under 200K on it.
Favorite Features
3.0L V6 engine provides loads of torque. I have embarrassed far "sportier" cars. It's quiet and smooth when driven easy. Several people have remarked about how the car changed their impressions of the Ford Tempo in general.
Suggested Improvements
Nobody is going to go back and improve a 20 year old car, but I'd have to say that without the 3-speed auto, it would be just about perfect. I'd also prefer a million-mile odometer so I could prove how many miles the car actually has, because to hear it run, you wouldn't believe it has 200K.