Used 1992 Ford Tempo Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Still Going
By dave

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this with 16000 miles on it, the only thing we have done besides the normal stuff is a water pump at about 55,000 miles. I've put more money in tires on it then anything else, it just starts and goes. The cruise went out about 5 years ago, I have never bothered to do anything about it. The front windows do not roll up and down, it was to much work to fix so I have not. It is now using anti-freeze, but I'm not sure where, I suspect the head gasket. I hope to give it to my son when he gets his license, we bought it just before he was born.

Favorite Features

Has always worked. Has AC and a power seat.

Outstanding car
By John

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been VERY dependable since we bought it in 1993 as a program car. It is important to keep the transmission fluid changed every 30- 40k. Low maintenance, dependable transportation, well suited to commuting where an excess of power and performance is not required.

Favorite Features

Economical 4 cylinder engine, front wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Ford Tempo/White 4 Dr sedan
By Charlotte

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been very reliable with a few new parts along the way. Replaced tires, relined brakes, replaced calipers & rotors, headlamp switch, horn brushes, water pump, hoses, belt, gasket, thermostat, fuel filter, spark plugs, replaced front and rear transmission motor mounts, tie rod front right and wheel bearings right and left front, regular fluid checks, oil changes and tune-ups when needed. 4 cylinder, fuel injection, front wheel drive.

Favorite Features

Front wheel drive, automatic, a place for cassette tapes, and Tim Hortons coffee, everything is in plain sight, Smokey blue interior, good size trunk, kids safety windows in back, lots of leg room. Seats five.

Suggested Improvements

Near future front driver seat replaced.

Iffy!
By tom

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Good vehicle, but Ford could have made better motors for the windows and locks (they went out in 2002).

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, cost, options.

Suggested Improvements

Better motors for the windows and locks.

an old pal by now!
By PR

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Got an 83K miles V6 power everything. Now at 201K miles still commuting 60 miles every day but selling it for more room (bigger family). The car is comfortable, the V6 is a pleasure given the light weight of the car. I know the 4 cylinder version is really crummy but the V6 is a no maintenance deal. Work was replacing the transmission ($600), starter, and radiator hose. Not cheap but put in perspective over time of ownership and use, still a good deal. I had 2 V6 Tempos and what one guy said is true. 100K is about when the transmission goes. The thing is the rebuilt transmission I had put in is holding up very well (95K to 201K). I guess it needs regular care and no abuse.

Favorite Features

Surprising acceleration for a compact. V6 engine no hassle deal.

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission.