1992 Ford Tempo Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

1992 Tempo Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Like A Timex, She Can Take A Licking & She Keeps On Ticking!
By jonshan

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

1st Tempo & She Is Awesome, Bought This Tempo As A 2nd Car To My Mercedes Benz S 420 & I Love The Tempo Its Reliable, Cost Efficient & Built like A Tank, 1 Of The Major Factors In Buying This Tempo Was That I Owned Her Sister, 1991 Mercury Topaz & I Rolled This Topaz Down A Mountain God Knows How Many Rolls To The Bottom But I Can Tell You There Was A lot Of Extensions Added To The Tow Trucks Winch To Get her Back Up On The Road & There Was Very Minimal Damage To That Topaz, Reset The Fuel Switch & She Started Right Up & Drove Her Around For 6+ Months Like That & Then She Got T-Boned On The (L) Side At about 80MPH & Was Still Able To Drive & no Injury To Me Either Time, Invincible Safe Cars.

Favorite Features

Very Good Handling On & Off Road & In Snow. LoL Excellent Fuel Mileage. Very Comfortable & Roomy Inside For A Small Car. Vehicle Structure Is Amazingly Strong, Very Durable Car, I Saw 1 At A Junk Yard With A 1976 Lincoln Continental Town Car A.K.A Land Yacht Sitting On The Roof Of This Poor Little Tempo But Guess What? Not A Dent In The Tempos Roof, Not 1 Broken Window & The Suspension Was Still Holding Up Decent? Explain That? Very Reliable Mechanically & Very Affordable To Fix. All In All Excellent Vehicle For Cost Efficiency, Safety & Reliability In All aspects, Great Family Car.

Suggested Improvements

Only 1 Improvement I Can Suggest Is The Forced Electronic Front Shoulder Seat Belts, As I Don't Like Wearing Seat Belts It Can Be A Little Annoying At Times When The Vehicle Forces You Or At Least Try's To Force You By Putting The Shoulder Belt on For You Automatically, But Other Than That I Would Not Change A Thing.

Impressive car.
By John

1992 Ford Tempo LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for years, and I seriously cannot fault it for it's service despite my constant abuse. The one item that has been troublesome is the 3-speed automatic transmission, but I love the car so much despite it that I am planning to swap it out for a manual trans as soon as I can. I love the car so much that I just bought a '91 Tempo GLS 4cyl/5-speed to drive until I can swap a manual into the LX. I've taken about 20 cross- country trips in the LX, it never let me down. Despite the 3-speed/V6 combo, it gets respectable MPG as well. It currently has just under 200K on it.

Favorite Features

3.0L V6 engine provides loads of torque. I have embarrassed far "sportier" cars. It's quiet and smooth when driven easy. Several people have remarked about how the car changed their impressions of the Ford Tempo in general.

Suggested Improvements

Nobody is going to go back and improve a 20 year old car, but I'd have to say that without the 3-speed auto, it would be just about perfect. I'd also prefer a million-mile odometer so I could prove how many miles the car actually has, because to hear it run, you wouldn't believe it has 200K.

Excellent car
By mary b

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. Can't believe the engine still purrs. Doesn't use oil. Very cheap to fix. The front wheel bearing just went out but would love to fix. Hate to give it up yet very dependable.

Favorite Features

everything but seat belt

Suggested Improvements

seat belts made with plastic parts

small comfortable smooth riding car
By shawn

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

This car seems to a Nice small but comfortable car it rides smooth I just bought it last week from a individual person for $300 I think I got a great! Deal the body is in great condition and the interior is also in great condition I just dont like the fact there is no cup holders in this car and it has only 3 out of 4 cylinders working which makes it stall sometimes gas mileage is just ok! It goes like 20 to 25 mpg city type driving but I think it should go like at least 30 miles a gallon for a 4 cylinder the engine only has 82,000 plus miles on it and its quiet no engine or transmission problems so far and the heater is great!

Favorite Features

I like the cassette holder because I like listening to cassettes and I also like the pop open gas cap you open by pressing a button inside the glove department and the pop open trunk button thats in there too and the big size trunk for such a small car and I also like the big headlights

Suggested Improvements

i would like to see some cup holders and power windows would be better

1992 Tempo GL/ 3.0L Vulcan & 5-speed mtx
By AJB

1992 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

i bought the car on Craigslist back in November 08, for $210. It has developed a leak in the gas tank [about a gallon a night] depending on how full it is, I have yet to repair it with some cheap quick job like a metal bracket and a load of JB Weld. The closing door electric track seat belts or what ever they're called, both sound like the gears have rounded out, and don't come down and secure you, they just make a loud grinding noise for like 10 seconds after starting the car, the windows are crank/manual & the drivers side window feels like it has cheap plastic gears, and like the seat belt rounded out gears, the paint is faded baby blue, m.a.s is too small

Favorite Features

The Vulcan is reliable, and decent in the performance area. I had a 1990 Taurus SHO, and it reminds me of a mini SHO, but it's still not near a SHO on the highway pickup or topping it out. the speedo only goes to 80mph, but by using the RPM's i can roughly predict how fast I'm going over 80mph

Suggested Improvements

It's too late for any because they're the Focus now, but better doors/locks. A little more engine space under the hood, a little more rust proof on the panels, a larger M.A.S air flow unit. basically a tougher version over all would be good.

Old beater
By spalding

1992 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

I bought my Tempo as a work car from a friend of my dad's. I had planned on getting a new one but the plant a worked at shut down. I didn't change the oil for 1500 miles. The electric door locks don't work but the manuals still do. After realizing I was going to have to keep it I changed the brakes calipers and drums. Charged the air conditioner and flushed the coolant system. Changed the oil and flushed the engine the old fashioned way with kerosene.The front driver's side was then hit at a light and I bought a new single fender and bumper from a junk yard. The fender doesn't match but who cares. The thing wont die! Very well built and dependable car. Great mileage.

Favorite Features

After an exhaust modification my gas mileage is over 30 mpg. I did all the work myself. Easy to work on. Even if you're buying new parts they are inexpensive.

Suggested Improvements

Get a good stereo system and and watch the heater a/c switches. Mine nearly set it on fire.

Good
By Walkthelin3

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a friend in November for 250 dollars. It was in pretty good condition and had 132,000 miles it is now August and I have 160,000 miles. Within that time I've replaced the starter, radiator, hubs and water pump. I've over heated the engine and beat on it. The thing still runs great just like it did the day I got it. It's a very reliable car and even though it's not as powerfull as I'd hoped it would be I instantly fell in love with it and still love it.

Favorite Features

Hand e-brake, the passenger side of the dash looks like a shelf. Steering is amazing

Suggested Improvements

Performance. Has good torque but it doesn't seem like it has any.

Still Going
By dave

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this with 16000 miles on it, the only thing we have done besides the normal stuff is a water pump at about 55,000 miles. I've put more money in tires on it then anything else, it just starts and goes. The cruise went out about 5 years ago, I have never bothered to do anything about it. The front windows do not roll up and down, it was to much work to fix so I have not. It is now using anti-freeze, but I'm not sure where, I suspect the head gasket. I hope to give it to my son when he gets his license, we bought it just before he was born.

Favorite Features

Has always worked. Has AC and a power seat.

Outstanding car
By John

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been VERY dependable since we bought it in 1993 as a program car. It is important to keep the transmission fluid changed every 30- 40k. Low maintenance, dependable transportation, well suited to commuting where an excess of power and performance is not required.

Favorite Features

Economical 4 cylinder engine, front wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Ford Tempo/White 4 Dr sedan
By Charlotte

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been very reliable with a few new parts along the way. Replaced tires, relined brakes, replaced calipers & rotors, headlamp switch, horn brushes, water pump, hoses, belt, gasket, thermostat, fuel filter, spark plugs, replaced front and rear transmission motor mounts, tie rod front right and wheel bearings right and left front, regular fluid checks, oil changes and tune-ups when needed. 4 cylinder, fuel injection, front wheel drive.

Favorite Features

Front wheel drive, automatic, a place for cassette tapes, and Tim Hortons coffee, everything is in plain sight, Smokey blue interior, good size trunk, kids safety windows in back, lots of leg room. Seats five.

Suggested Improvements

Near future front driver seat replaced.