Used 1992 Ford Tempo Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Like A Timex, She Can Take A Licking & She Keeps On Ticking!
By jonshan

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

1st Tempo & She Is Awesome, Bought This Tempo As A 2nd Car To My Mercedes Benz S 420 & I Love The Tempo Its Reliable, Cost Efficient & Built like A Tank, 1 Of The Major Factors In Buying This Tempo Was That I Owned Her Sister, 1991 Mercury Topaz & I Rolled This Topaz Down A Mountain God Knows How Many Rolls To The Bottom But I Can Tell You There Was A lot Of Extensions Added To The Tow Trucks Winch To Get her Back Up On The Road & There Was Very Minimal Damage To That Topaz, Reset The Fuel Switch & She Started Right Up & Drove Her Around For 6+ Months Like That & Then She Got T-Boned On The (L) Side At about 80MPH & Was Still Able To Drive & no Injury To Me Either Time, Invincible Safe Cars.

Favorite Features

Very Good Handling On & Off Road & In Snow. LoL Excellent Fuel Mileage. Very Comfortable & Roomy Inside For A Small Car. Vehicle Structure Is Amazingly Strong, Very Durable Car, I Saw 1 At A Junk Yard With A 1976 Lincoln Continental Town Car A.K.A Land Yacht Sitting On The Roof Of This Poor Little Tempo But Guess What? Not A Dent In The Tempos Roof, Not 1 Broken Window & The Suspension Was Still Holding Up Decent? Explain That? Very Reliable Mechanically & Very Affordable To Fix. All In All Excellent Vehicle For Cost Efficiency, Safety & Reliability In All aspects, Great Family Car.

Suggested Improvements

Only 1 Improvement I Can Suggest Is The Forced Electronic Front Shoulder Seat Belts, As I Don't Like Wearing Seat Belts It Can Be A Little Annoying At Times When The Vehicle Forces You Or At Least Try's To Force You By Putting The Shoulder Belt on For You Automatically, But Other Than That I Would Not Change A Thing.

Impressive car.
By John

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for years, and I seriously cannot fault it for it's service despite my constant abuse. The one item that has been troublesome is the 3-speed automatic transmission, but I love the car so much despite it that I am planning to swap it out for a manual trans as soon as I can. I love the car so much that I just bought a '91 Tempo GLS 4cyl/5-speed to drive until I can swap a manual into the LX. I've taken about 20 cross- country trips in the LX, it never let me down. Despite the 3-speed/V6 combo, it gets respectable MPG as well. It currently has just under 200K on it.

Favorite Features

3.0L V6 engine provides loads of torque. I have embarrassed far "sportier" cars. It's quiet and smooth when driven easy. Several people have remarked about how the car changed their impressions of the Ford Tempo in general.

Suggested Improvements

Nobody is going to go back and improve a 20 year old car, but I'd have to say that without the 3-speed auto, it would be just about perfect. I'd also prefer a million-mile odometer so I could prove how many miles the car actually has, because to hear it run, you wouldn't believe it has 200K.

Excellent car
By mary b

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. Can't believe the engine still purrs. Doesn't use oil. Very cheap to fix. The front wheel bearing just went out but would love to fix. Hate to give it up yet very dependable.

Favorite Features

everything but seat belt

Suggested Improvements

seat belts made with plastic parts

small comfortable smooth riding car
By shawn

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car seems to a Nice small but comfortable car it rides smooth I just bought it last week from a individual person for $300 I think I got a great! Deal the body is in great condition and the interior is also in great condition I just dont like the fact there is no cup holders in this car and it has only 3 out of 4 cylinders working which makes it stall sometimes gas mileage is just ok! It goes like 20 to 25 mpg city type driving but I think it should go like at least 30 miles a gallon for a 4 cylinder the engine only has 82,000 plus miles on it and its quiet no engine or transmission problems so far and the heater is great!

Favorite Features

I like the cassette holder because I like listening to cassettes and I also like the pop open gas cap you open by pressing a button inside the glove department and the pop open trunk button thats in there too and the big size trunk for such a small car and I also like the big headlights

Suggested Improvements

i would like to see some cup holders and power windows would be better

Good
By Walkthelin3

1992 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a friend in November for 250 dollars. It was in pretty good condition and had 132,000 miles it is now August and I have 160,000 miles. Within that time I've replaced the starter, radiator, hubs and water pump. I've over heated the engine and beat on it. The thing still runs great just like it did the day I got it. It's a very reliable car and even though it's not as powerfull as I'd hoped it would be I instantly fell in love with it and still love it.

Favorite Features

Hand e-brake, the passenger side of the dash looks like a shelf. Steering is amazing

Suggested Improvements

Performance. Has good torque but it doesn't seem like it has any.