1992 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:
Impressive car.
By John on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Tempo LX 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for years, and I seriously cannot fault it for it's service despite my constant abuse. The one item that has been troublesome is the 3-speed automatic transmission, but I love the car so much despite it that I am planning to swap it out for a manual trans as soon as I can. I love the car so much that I just bought a '91 Tempo GLS 4cyl/5-speed to drive until I can swap a manual into the LX. I've taken about 20 cross- country trips in the LX, it never let me down. Despite the 3-speed/V6 combo, it gets respectable MPG as well. It currently has just under 200K on it.

Excellent car
By mary b on 09/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. Can't believe the engine still purrs. Doesn't use oil. Very cheap to fix. The front wheel bearing just went out but would love to fix. Hate to give it up yet very dependable.

small comfortable smooth riding car
By shawn on 02/10/10 19:07 PM (PST)

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

This car seems to a Nice small but comfortable car it rides smooth I just bought it last week from a individual person for $300 I think I got a great! Deal the body is in great condition and the interior is also in great condition I just dont like the fact there is no cup holders in this car and it has only 3 out of 4 cylinders working which makes it stall sometimes gas mileage is just ok! It goes like 20 to 25 mpg city type driving but I think it should go like at least 30 miles a gallon for a 4 cylinder the engine only has 82,000 plus miles on it and its quiet no engine or transmission problems so far and the heater is great!

1992 Tempo GL/ 3.0L Vulcan & 5-speed mtx
By AJB on 02/09/09 09:50 AM (PST)

1992 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

i bought the car on Craigslist back in November 08, for $210. It has developed a leak in the gas tank [about a gallon a night] depending on how full it is, I have yet to repair it with some cheap quick job like a metal bracket and a load of JB Weld. The closing door electric track seat belts or what ever they're called, both sound like the gears have rounded out, and don't come down and secure you, they just make a loud grinding noise for like 10 seconds after starting the car, the windows are crank/manual & the drivers side window feels like it has cheap plastic gears, and like the seat belt rounded out gears, the paint is faded baby blue, m.a.s is too small

Old beater
By spalding on 10/24/08 19:58 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Tempo GL 2dr Coupe

I bought my Tempo as a work car from a friend of my dad's. I had planned on getting a new one but the plant a worked at shut down. I didn't change the oil for 1500 miles. The electric door locks don't work but the manuals still do. After realizing I was going to have to keep it I changed the brakes calipers and drums. Charged the air conditioner and flushed the coolant system. Changed the oil and flushed the engine the old fashioned way with kerosene.The front driver's side was then hit at a light and I bought a new single fender and bumper from a junk yard. The fender doesn't match but who cares. The thing wont die! Very well built and dependable car. Great mileage.

Good
By Walkthelin3 on 08/27/08 18:05 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a friend in November for 250 dollars. It was in pretty good condition and had 132,000 miles it is now August and I have 160,000 miles. Within that time I've replaced the starter, radiator, hubs and water pump. I've over heated the engine and beat on it. The thing still runs great just like it did the day I got it. It's a very reliable car and even though it's not as powerfull as I'd hoped it would be I instantly fell in love with it and still love it.

Still Going
By dave on 08/27/08 08:15 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this with 16000 miles on it, the only thing we have done besides the normal stuff is a water pump at about 55,000 miles. I've put more money in tires on it then anything else, it just starts and goes. The cruise went out about 5 years ago, I have never bothered to do anything about it. The front windows do not roll up and down, it was to much work to fix so I have not. It is now using anti-freeze, but I'm not sure where, I suspect the head gasket. I hope to give it to my son when he gets his license, we bought it just before he was born.

Outstanding car
By John on 05/28/06 09:06 AM (PDT)

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been VERY dependable since we bought it in 1993 as a program car. It is important to keep the transmission fluid changed every 30- 40k. Low maintenance, dependable transportation, well suited to commuting where an excess of power and performance is not required.

Ford Tempo/White 4 Dr sedan
By Charlotte on 02/20/06 19:29 PM (PST)

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

This car has been very reliable with a few new parts along the way. Replaced tires, relined brakes, replaced calipers & rotors, headlamp switch, horn brushes, water pump, hoses, belt, gasket, thermostat, fuel filter, spark plugs, replaced front and rear transmission motor mounts, tie rod front right and wheel bearings right and left front, regular fluid checks, oil changes and tune-ups when needed. 4 cylinder, fuel injection, front wheel drive.

Iffy!
By tom on 06/29/05 14:15 PM (PDT)

1992 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

Good vehicle, but Ford could have made better motors for the windows and locks (they went out in 2002).