1991 Ford Tempo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:
Not pretty, but pretty reliable
By Elisa on 05/18/05 04:15 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Many electrical problems, oil leaks, make sure you get the ignition switch replaced (it was recalled for this), had trouble with the starter twice in 2 years, but it has the engine that just won't die. It was always pretty reliable. The transmission didn't need replacing until 145,000 miles. The design of the radio/air conditioner switches is horrible and breaks easily. The seats are very comfortable and it rides pretty smoothly for a small car. It isn't much to look at but the paint lasts a long time with no rust. Just about everything else will fall off but the engine will keep going!

American engineering at it's worst!!
By Kyle Brautigan on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD

This car is horrible.We decided to buy the all wheel drive version. We tried to use it in winter and I noticed it did not work well. We took it to the dealership and after about 2 years of ownership we found the a.w.d wasn't even working. It was the main reason I purchased the car. The car has stalled numerous times, has broken down and been needed repaired about weekly. It never starts on winter mornings and the drivers seat is broken and slouches back to one side. Poor quality across the board. I will find it difficult to buy a Ford again after this car. YIKES!!

This Car Catches on Fire!!!
By Serafima on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my '91 tempo for about 9 months, and just the other day, it burst into flames on the highway. It turns out, in 1996, Ford had a recall on several of their models that were built with a malfunctioning ignition swtich between the years 1988 and 1993. If you buy the car, make sure you get the free installation of the new ignition switch, otherwise, prepare to back up traffic while you watch your poor little car die in it's own bonfire. Enjoy your new tempo!

Not a Real Car
By native on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Well, it might as well have been made of aluminum foil. Things fell off of it, out of it, but unfortunately nothing fell on it. Repairs were costly and difficult. And the best part was when it set on fire. Oh, yes, that was fun.

My opinion
By Scott02 on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Car runs fine, but the transmission went out at 165000 then I replaced it now still runs fine. but trying to sell it now do to lack of space ware I live.

Worst car ever.
By ford hater on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Something has went wrong with this car every month that I've had it. Then when you try to fix something it is hard to get at and you end up breaking something else.

Thank God they are no longer built!
By Claude Moore on 09/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Rrom the get-go, the Ford Tempo was an American car company's attempt to take sales away from Honda, Toyota and Nissan, but not having good engineering or high quality/dependability in it's product. Even now in late 2002 US car companies are still playing "catchup" with Honda and Toyota in virtually all their products at Ford, Gm and Chrysler- -when will we ever get it right?