Used 1991 Ford Tempo Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Not pretty, but pretty reliable
By Elisa

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Many electrical problems, oil leaks, make sure you get the ignition switch replaced (it was recalled for this), had trouble with the starter twice in 2 years, but it has the engine that just won't die. It was always pretty reliable. The transmission didn't need replacing until 145,000 miles. The design of the radio/air conditioner switches is horrible and breaks easily. The seats are very comfortable and it rides pretty smoothly for a small car. It isn't much to look at but the paint lasts a long time with no rust. Just about everything else will fall off but the engine will keep going!

The comfortable seats and smooth ride, pretty reliable engine.

Everything else.

American engineering at it's worst!!
By Kyle Brautigan

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD

This car is horrible.We decided to buy the all wheel drive version. We tried to use it in winter and I noticed it did not work well. We took it to the dealership and after about 2 years of ownership we found the a.w.d wasn't even working. It was the main reason I purchased the car. The car has stalled numerous times, has broken down and been needed repaired about weekly. It never starts on winter mornings and the drivers seat is broken and slouches back to one side. Poor quality across the board. I will find it difficult to buy a Ford again after this car. YIKES!!

Fairly comfortble

Bad 3 speed auto, Better build quality and interior quality, reliability, everything!! Stay away from this car!

This Car Catches on Fire!!!
By Serafima

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I have had my '91 tempo for about 9 months, and just the other day, it burst into flames on the highway. It turns out, in 1996, Ford had a recall on several of their models that were built with a malfunctioning ignition swtich between the years 1988 and 1993. If you buy the car, make sure you get the free installation of the new ignition switch, otherwise, prepare to back up traffic while you watch your poor little car die in it's own bonfire. Enjoy your new tempo!

Ummm...Ignition Switch.

Not a Real Car
By native

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Well, it might as well have been made of aluminum foil. Things fell off of it, out of it, but unfortunately nothing fell on it. Repairs were costly and difficult. And the best part was when it set on fire. Oh, yes, that was fun.

I liked that it wasn't made of Scotch tape.

Not applicable. Ford doesn't make it anymore, so that's the improvement.

My opinion
By Scott02

1991 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Car runs fine, but the transmission went out at 165000 then I replaced it now still runs fine. but trying to sell it now do to lack of space ware I live.

Comfort drives very nice on the highway, nice to take on trips

None