1990 Ford Tempo GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

1990 Tempo Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Sort Reviews by

Great car
By Sharon

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car about a year ago for 200 dollars, with only 68,000 original miles. Great fuel economy! Turns on a dime. Alot of interior space in front, & back seats. Hugh trunk. Best heater I've ever had on any car. Starts up well, even on the coldest mornings. This car had sit for about a year, without being started up or run, so I was shocked when I went to get it, and it started up on the first try. The only thing that I think I will have a problem with in the future is the transmission. It's a little sluggish, and with talking to others that have owned, or has this car, they have had some problems, when they get up to 90,000 miles.I've owned newer cars that's not as reliable.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy,Hugh Trunk,Roomy,Reliability, Easy to see out of back when backing, & it really does warm up fast, even on cold mornings. And thats usually not said often for a Ford.

Suggested Improvements

I would love to have a cup holder.

Best Used Car Ever !
By lisag

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from my neighbor almost 1 year, for $500. I figured It would last a month or so, 6 months tops. 1 year later, I'm still driving it. It's been a great little car. Sure, I've had to have a few repairs done, but none of them were major and most were things I had to have done with a car 20 years newer! I've considered selling it, but it's been so good to me, I think i'll just do a few cosmetic repairs and keep it. It's reliable and it has never left me stranded. Great car for the money!

Favorite Features

Buttons in glove box that open trunk and gas cap. Very convenient

Suggested Improvements

I would love a cupholder. I've spilled 1 million drinks because I dont have one!

Junk Ford as always
By Tab

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this used for a second car, w/ 87k on it for $300, maybe too much. Slow, did make it good in the snow though, ugly all around. Transmission went at 90k, who would have thought, it is a Ford.

Favorite Features

Going through snow, but that's only because it's slow

Suggested Improvements

Ford didn't make again, good thing, but the Focus is it's counterpart

good buy
By Jevik

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

had this car for a year and not a problem.. starts up no prob in the cold.. fun to drive.. good gas mileage.. a good reliable car.. and cheap on insurance

Favorite Features

acceleration, comfortable, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

cup holder, fold down seats

One of my favorite automobiles
By Chris P

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This was my first car. I wanted a tempo after my mom walked out of a 60mph head on accident with a very minor temporary injury. I purchased mine for $400 from my aunt at 105k miles. Engine is very strong, and tranny is responsive. in 13 years the car has been towed once for a dead battery, and left me on the side of the road once when the engine block heater fell out becuase of an overtightned bolt (bad mechanic?). I took the car off the road when it was due for CV Joints, Boots, and body work. Total parts for this car in 13 years costed $400. I purchased a 1996 Taurus SE as a replacement...I miss my tempo though...

Favorite Features

-Powerful engine for its time, keeps up if not beats many modern civics, accords, neons, ect. -IT WILL GO ANYWHERE IN THE SNOW! -I love the look, still looks modern. -You can put a refridgerator in the trunk opening...No lie. Try that with a Camry. -Center mounted E-Brake

Suggested Improvements

-Allignment problems, still found in Ford front wheel drive vehicals. -Cup holder would have been nice. -Give us our Tempo's back... :-( Many people swore by these cars...

Ole Faithful
By Prof6

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car!!! With just routine maintenance (although it does use more than average front suspension parts), this car is unbeatable. It is an absolute "bear" in the snow. It now has over 173,000 miles and is beginning to show some surface rust, so I'm looking for a replacement vehicle. If it were economically feasible to replace the body and keep the car, I'd do it!

Favorite Features

Maneuverability; dependability; sharp looking car.

Suggested Improvements

A cup holder would have been a great asset.

good car
By the1bigone

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

it gets really good gas milage..and if it doesn't go fast enough for you..just put a turbo in..makes it run great! no problems except the tune ups in all the time i've had it.!!!!

Favorite Features

gas millage or amount of space

Suggested Improvements

no cupholder..i usually have bottles but it would still be nice

I hate to write my expereince was good!
By ebastage

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Ok My wife bought this car years ago and we have had it for about years now.. I cant destroy this car. I drive it like a rally car. I replaced a battery, two exhasusts. Tires ONCE. I bought a 2 piece CV boot for both sides because they tore. Did two brake jobs. Poor Rear break design with that stupid adjuster. a serpentine belt just for the heck of it. No big deal this is all regular maintenence stuff. Only reason I am getting rid of it is I have 2 kids and a dog now.. A Review on the 99 Plymouth Voyager is coming soon.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Lack of any major problems. Easy to work on. (I do own maintence) Got in a front end collision. Car held together well. AC never worked again however it did work REALLY good when it did work.

Suggested Improvements

This car is not in production anymore.

Very nice car, thanx Ford!
By betz698

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

A very nice car. My Tempo takes a licking and keeps ticking. It has minor problems, AC is out, Alternator problems, some rust but thats about it. I went airborne in this car due to a huge dip, in the road and destroyed the oil pan, got it replaced but there was no other damage, I couldn't believe it. The car is very durable, got sideswiped by a mustang, only minor paint sceapes and trim damage, no dents.I think my tempo still has a couple years left in it.

Suggested Improvements

More Power!

Buy this and learn mechanics!
By AMPMagic

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I owned this car as my first and second car. First off it was a very nice car for the 300 I payed for it. But it was always needing to be fixed, but it was never anything major. It also leaked fluids too much. Good for a first car or if your not making enough to afford a real car. Side Note: Fluid leaks are normal for this car. get used to checking fluids and buy a PIG mat to throw under engine when you park it.

Favorite Features

Great Gas milege, It can hit a large tree and keep running (dont ask). Parts were cheap and easy to find. Part installation was easy enough to do manually, Very cheap car.

Suggested Improvements

Car had heating problems in summertime. steering kept going out of alignment, replced a total of 5 balljoint/control arms and 2 CV shafts in the 2 years I owned the cars. Both cars suffered from leaks.