Used 1990 Ford Tempo GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:

Great car
By Sharon

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car about a year ago for 200 dollars, with only 68,000 original miles. Great fuel economy! Turns on a dime. Alot of interior space in front, & back seats. Hugh trunk. Best heater I've ever had on any car. Starts up well, even on the coldest mornings. This car had sit for about a year, without being started up or run, so I was shocked when I went to get it, and it started up on the first try. The only thing that I think I will have a problem with in the future is the transmission. It's a little sluggish, and with talking to others that have owned, or has this car, they have had some problems, when they get up to 90,000 miles.I've owned newer cars that's not as reliable.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy,Hugh Trunk,Roomy,Reliability, Easy to see out of back when backing, & it really does warm up fast, even on cold mornings. And thats usually not said often for a Ford.

Suggested Improvements

I would love to have a cup holder.

Best Used Car Ever !
By lisag

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from my neighbor almost 1 year, for $500. I figured It would last a month or so, 6 months tops. 1 year later, I'm still driving it. It's been a great little car. Sure, I've had to have a few repairs done, but none of them were major and most were things I had to have done with a car 20 years newer! I've considered selling it, but it's been so good to me, I think i'll just do a few cosmetic repairs and keep it. It's reliable and it has never left me stranded. Great car for the money!

Favorite Features

Buttons in glove box that open trunk and gas cap. Very convenient

Suggested Improvements

I would love a cupholder. I've spilled 1 million drinks because I dont have one!

Junk Ford as always
By Tab

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this used for a second car, w/ 87k on it for $300, maybe too much. Slow, did make it good in the snow though, ugly all around. Transmission went at 90k, who would have thought, it is a Ford.

Favorite Features

Going through snow, but that's only because it's slow

Suggested Improvements

Ford didn't make again, good thing, but the Focus is it's counterpart

good buy
By Jevik

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

had this car for a year and not a problem.. starts up no prob in the cold.. fun to drive.. good gas mileage.. a good reliable car.. and cheap on insurance

Favorite Features

acceleration, comfortable, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

cup holder, fold down seats

One of my favorite automobiles
By Chris P

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This was my first car. I wanted a tempo after my mom walked out of a 60mph head on accident with a very minor temporary injury. I purchased mine for $400 from my aunt at 105k miles. Engine is very strong, and tranny is responsive. in 13 years the car has been towed once for a dead battery, and left me on the side of the road once when the engine block heater fell out becuase of an overtightned bolt (bad mechanic?). I took the car off the road when it was due for CV Joints, Boots, and body work. Total parts for this car in 13 years costed $400. I purchased a 1996 Taurus SE as a replacement...I miss my tempo though...

Favorite Features

-Powerful engine for its time, keeps up if not beats many modern civics, accords, neons, ect. -IT WILL GO ANYWHERE IN THE SNOW! -I love the look, still looks modern. -You can put a refridgerator in the trunk opening...No lie. Try that with a Camry. -Center mounted E-Brake

Suggested Improvements

-Allignment problems, still found in Ford front wheel drive vehicals. -Cup holder would have been nice. -Give us our Tempo's back... :-( Many people swore by these cars...