1990 Ford Tempo Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:
Great car
By Sharon on 05/06/09 20:15 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car about a year ago for 200 dollars, with only 68,000 original miles. Great fuel economy! Turns on a dime. Alot of interior space in front, & back seats. Hugh trunk. Best heater I've ever had on any car. Starts up well, even on the coldest mornings. This car had sit for about a year, without being started up or run, so I was shocked when I went to get it, and it started up on the first try. The only thing that I think I will have a problem with in the future is the transmission. It's a little sluggish, and with talking to others that have owned, or has this car, they have had some problems, when they get up to 90,000 miles.I've owned newer cars that's not as reliable.

Best Used Car Ever !
By lisag on 02/24/09 23:51 PM (PST)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from my neighbor almost 1 year, for $500. I figured It would last a month or so, 6 months tops. 1 year later, I'm still driving it. It's been a great little car. Sure, I've had to have a few repairs done, but none of them were major and most were things I had to have done with a car 20 years newer! I've considered selling it, but it's been so good to me, I think i'll just do a few cosmetic repairs and keep it. It's reliable and it has never left me stranded. Great car for the money!

Junk Ford as always
By Tab on 09/10/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this used for a second car, w/ 87k on it for $300, maybe too much. Slow, did make it good in the snow though, ugly all around. Transmission went at 90k, who would have thought, it is a Ford.

The Most Reliable Car Out of the '80s
By Explorer4x4 on 04/08/07 14:08 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD

I have had my 1989 Tempo AWD for a single year now. It has never had a problem. And I know the previous owners well, and they have never had any major problems either. It has always started for me, and its very reliable. I would go to say its the most reliable model made in the 1980's. I left it for eleven months. It sat untouched for that time. I went back to it, turned the key, started right away. Thats quality. Excellent first car and general daily driver. Fuel economy is average, reliability outstanding, durability outstanding, styling is good - average, power is slightly below average and quality is too great for words.

good buy
By Jevik on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

had this car for a year and not a problem.. starts up no prob in the cold.. fun to drive.. good gas mileage.. a good reliable car.. and cheap on insurance

ford tempo 90
By Harvey Winter on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

fairly dependable and gets me where I'm goping (most times)

One of my favorite automobiles
By Chris P on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This was my first car. I wanted a tempo after my mom walked out of a 60mph head on accident with a very minor temporary injury. I purchased mine for $400 from my aunt at 105k miles. Engine is very strong, and tranny is responsive. in 13 years the car has been towed once for a dead battery, and left me on the side of the road once when the engine block heater fell out becuase of an overtightned bolt (bad mechanic?). I took the car off the road when it was due for CV Joints, Boots, and body work. Total parts for this car in 13 years costed $400. I purchased a 1996 Taurus SE as a replacement...I miss my tempo though...

Ford Tempo
By Sean Stevens on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Ford Tempo new in 1990. Over the years all it took was a new muffler. It is excellent on gas and is built tough. I have been i a few fenderbenders over the years but it has always stood up. I drove the car up to last year when the transmission went. I can do the repairs myself because all it needs is a case but I have been too busy. The A/C went but probably needs a compressor. All in all this car has performed and stood up excellent over the years.

Ole Faithful
By Prof6 on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car!!! With just routine maintenance (although it does use more than average front suspension parts), this car is unbeatable. It is an absolute "bear" in the snow. It now has over 173,000 miles and is beginning to show some surface rust, so I'm looking for a replacement vehicle. If it were economically feasible to replace the body and keep the car, I'd do it!

cheap car
By The Mann on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Tempo Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD

Well, I bought this car because it was inexpensive. Right after I got it, it started getting all kind of leaks. The CV joints went bad though the boots were good. The motor, tranny, and power steering all had minor leaks. The AWD didn't work, the car got bad mileage, and the door handles ALL fell off. The radiator fan needed replacement, along with numerous sensors. The auto front belts were slow and noisy. Chaep car. Avoid these even if they're inexpensive and look nice.