1990 Ford Tempo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tempo model:
Great car
By Sharon on 05/06/09 20:15 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car about a year ago for 200 dollars, with only 68,000 original miles. Great fuel economy! Turns on a dime. Alot of interior space in front, & back seats. Hugh trunk. Best heater I've ever had on any car. Starts up well, even on the coldest mornings. This car had sit for about a year, without being started up or run, so I was shocked when I went to get it, and it started up on the first try. The only thing that I think I will have a problem with in the future is the transmission. It's a little sluggish, and with talking to others that have owned, or has this car, they have had some problems, when they get up to 90,000 miles.I've owned newer cars that's not as reliable.

Best Used Car Ever !
By lisag on 02/24/09 23:51 PM (PST)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my car from my neighbor almost 1 year, for $500. I figured It would last a month or so, 6 months tops. 1 year later, I'm still driving it. It's been a great little car. Sure, I've had to have a few repairs done, but none of them were major and most were things I had to have done with a car 20 years newer! I've considered selling it, but it's been so good to me, I think i'll just do a few cosmetic repairs and keep it. It's reliable and it has never left me stranded. Great car for the money!

Junk Ford as always
By Tab on 09/10/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

We bought this used for a second car, w/ 87k on it for $300, maybe too much. Slow, did make it good in the snow though, ugly all around. Transmission went at 90k, who would have thought, it is a Ford.

good buy
By Jevik on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

had this car for a year and not a problem.. starts up no prob in the cold.. fun to drive.. good gas mileage.. a good reliable car.. and cheap on insurance

One of my favorite automobiles
By Chris P on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

This was my first car. I wanted a tempo after my mom walked out of a 60mph head on accident with a very minor temporary injury. I purchased mine for $400 from my aunt at 105k miles. Engine is very strong, and tranny is responsive. in 13 years the car has been towed once for a dead battery, and left me on the side of the road once when the engine block heater fell out becuase of an overtightned bolt (bad mechanic?). I took the car off the road when it was due for CV Joints, Boots, and body work. Total parts for this car in 13 years costed $400. I purchased a 1996 Taurus SE as a replacement...I miss my tempo though...

Ole Faithful
By Prof6 on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I love this car!!! With just routine maintenance (although it does use more than average front suspension parts), this car is unbeatable. It is an absolute "bear" in the snow. It now has over 173,000 miles and is beginning to show some surface rust, so I'm looking for a replacement vehicle. If it were economically feasible to replace the body and keep the car, I'd do it!

good car
By the1bigone on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

it gets really good gas milage..and if it doesn't go fast enough for you..just put a turbo in..makes it run great! no problems except the tune ups in all the time i've had it.!!!!

I hate to write my expereince was good!
By ebastage on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

Ok My wife bought this car years ago and we have had it for about years now.. I cant destroy this car. I drive it like a rally car. I replaced a battery, two exhasusts. Tires ONCE. I bought a 2 piece CV boot for both sides because they tore. Did two brake jobs. Poor Rear break design with that stupid adjuster. a serpentine belt just for the heck of it. No big deal this is all regular maintenence stuff. Only reason I am getting rid of it is I have 2 kids and a dog now.. A Review on the 99 Plymouth Voyager is coming soon.

Very nice car, thanx Ford!
By betz698 on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

A very nice car. My Tempo takes a licking and keeps ticking. It has minor problems, AC is out, Alternator problems, some rust but thats about it. I went airborne in this car due to a huge dip, in the road and destroyed the oil pan, got it replaced but there was no other damage, I couldn't believe it. The car is very durable, got sideswiped by a mustang, only minor paint sceapes and trim damage, no dents.I think my tempo still has a couple years left in it.

Buy this and learn mechanics!
By AMPMagic on 04/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Ford Tempo GL 4dr Sedan

I owned this car as my first and second car. First off it was a very nice car for the 300 I payed for it. But it was always needing to be fixed, but it was never anything major. It also leaked fluids too much. Good for a first car or if your not making enough to afford a real car. Side Note: Fluid leaks are normal for this car. get used to checking fluids and buy a PIG mat to throw under engine when you park it.