2011 Ford Taurus Consumer Review: Good acceleration, not as fun

2011 Ford Taurus - Consumer Review

SE Sedan (3.5L V6 6-speed Automatic)

Good acceleration, not as fun as Speed 6 or G8 GXP
By costeld on

2011 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I may be one of the few people who have owned a Mazdaspeed 6, a new Taurus SHO, and a Pontiac G8 GXP with manual. I lost the Speed 6 in a divorce, downgraded for a while to a police interceptor (fun to abuse b/c its cheap), then bought a 2011 Taurus SHO with performance package in october of 2010. Mine had most options, only lacking adaptive cruise control (I think). I got a good deal on it (had to cross shop 4 dealers from 200 to 1000 miles away), but walked out $8000 under MSRP. I loved all the luxury features (not a Lincoln after all) and fresh styling. Overall a good value. However, I regretted not buying the G8 gxp instead (was hard to find) and eventually sold SHO for the GXP.

Favorite Features

Many optional features! Impressive interior design and seats. Fast.

Suggested Improvements

Conservative top speed (138 I think). Engine 2000 rpm below redline at top speed. Numb, over boosted steering. Fine in town but approaching top speed on the highway the steering wheel feels too light. (The wheel jerks when traversing bumps on turns). Choppy ride quality especially at speed. The top speed though conservative feels fast for the car. Terrible visibility, especially out the rear. thank god for the back up camera. Front seat area was somewhat claustrophobic. Unattractive two tone brown interior (which they fixed for 2013) and destracting recessed gauges (which they also fixed for 2013). Myford and Sync too complicated and distracting from driving. Infuriating voice recognition.