Used 2009 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Best Ford ever
By carguy1654

2009 Ford Taurus Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Let's just say it's the most comfortable car I've ever drove. You can feel the road and feel on top of the car. VERY roomy. I'm over 6 ft. And 250 pounds and I can sit in the back seat no problem. I can get 30 mpg on it. Horsepower is insane. If you are debating over the Five Hundred, get a taurus. WAY more horsepower and weirdly more comfortable for having almost the same interior. Also more stylish and reliable than the 500. I have a friend who has a Five hundred with a CVT transmission and it has gone out times. With the taurus, they replaced it with a 6 speed transmission so you won't have that problem. Then only 500s without trans Problems is the limited with 6 speed trans. Get taurus.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, heated mirrors, leather, steering wheel controls, sync, leather interior, chrome package, ROOM.

Suggested Improvements

Absolutely nothing

2009 Taurus leaps above 2010/2011 model
By steve

2009 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Purchased used 2009 Taurus SEL w/only 2700 miles on vehicle. I am 6'4'' and my wife is 6'1'", this car gives us both great room. We are getting 18-20 city, 20-22 combined, and 29-32 hwy! Car rides really well. I had a 2001 sable and loved it, the 2009 Taurus is a big step up! Loved the 2009 Taurus, went back a month later to look at 2010/2011 Taurus, what a let down! 2010/2011 Taurus has MUCH SMALLER interior! Front seats are cramped, and the back seat. They are a joke. In our 2009 Taurus I can sit in the back seat, with the front seats all the way back, and still have 3-4 inches of clearance between my legs and the back of the front seat! Big letdown Ford in the 2010/2011 Taurus!

Favorite Features

Room, comfort, the way it sits up higher, mileage. Great car. So far. ; )

Suggested Improvements

Make cars with more manual seat controls, instead of power and a longer manual sliding track!. I hate power seats!

Exceeds expectations
By Steve

2009 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I rented an '09 Taurus early this year and, once I got past the stodgy styling, really loved it. I was waiting for the 2010 model to make a purchase because, from the pictures I'd seen, the 2010 just looked racier. But when I actually saw a 2010 I found it lacked the visibility and interior spaciousness that are what attracted me to the '09. I now have over 5,000 miles on the car. Quiet, roomy, effortless to drive. Best back support and seating position of any car I have ever owned. Synch feature is great for hands free phone conversations.

Favorite Features

Quiet! Seating position, back support, visibility are all excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Would like a little more "oomph" when I hit the gas.

Great Car
By Matt

2009 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is the first new car my wife and I have ever purchased, had always purchased year old cars before this one. The Taurus is very smooth and comfortable car... and big, which I like because it will probably be big enough to keep us from purchasing a minivan (ugh) in the future. Just took the first long trip and got 33 mpg with a little tailwind and 27 going back into the same wind. For a 4000 pound car, I think that's more than acceptable. My wife drives it to work and gets about 20-21 around town. One thing I like about this car is the interior room. I'm 6'4" and my wife is 6' and we both appreciate that Ford recognizes that there are people in the world taller than 5'8"!

Favorite Features

The Edmunds reviewer said the V-6 is "course," I think it's a great sounding engine. Good power and fuel economy, interior and trunk space. Seats are pretty comfortable. Lots of cup holders and bins for holding all of your stuff. Sirius is nice. Transmission is flawless.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it had electric power steering like the new Fusion has.

Six speed equals awfull ride
By James

2009 Ford Taurus Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

As a die hard blue oval fan this is very hard to write.Let me give you a little history about me and Ford. My first car ever was a white Ford Taurus in high school/college, then a F-150 king ranch pickup in the Marine Corp, when the gas prices went up I got a ford 500. I know own a 09 Taurus limited AWD and it is the worst car i have ever owned. The six speed transmission is pathetic at best constantly sifting and the shifts are not smooth by any means, I have had several people ask me if there was something wrong with my car when they were riding with me.. Why did ford get rid of the CVT ???and ruin the car with the six speed. It's so bad I'm getting rid of the car and it has 9753 miles!!

Suggested Improvements

NEW TRANSMISSION, Six-speed stinks