Used 2008 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great Value
By Happy with 1st Ford

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan Limited 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am so happy with my first domestic. This has been the most reliable car I've owned, better then Toyotas and VWs I have owned. Almost 30K miles, and just perform maintenance. Highway mileage is best at 60- upper 20's, city is not great, but this is a 2 ton plus car (4075 with AWD loaded -C&D article) with 263 horsepower, larger than any Toyota or Honda by 400-500 pounds with AWD, so gas mileage for its size is commendable. It is not a Corrola or camry 4 cylinder, and honda and Toyota V6 cars, including the Avalon, are much smaller regardless of class (400-500 pounds), and they do not offer AWD. Taurus feels more stable at fast highway speed, especially with cross winds than other sedans.

Favorite Features

Comfort, outstanding reliability, value, Sync, easy to use, visibility is best of any sedan, safety, acceleration for its heft. Even though this is an updated 500, I like the large interior, the high seating position, the enormous back seat, the huge trunk, and even the useful rear wing wondows.

Suggested Improvements

Seat memory for passenger, front bumper sensors, telescopic steering wheel, and better high end stereo would be welcome. I like the look of the 2010 Taurus, but I am disappointed that the beltline looks like a 300, so visibility is taking a big hit, and the rear seat looses 3 inched of leg room.

Rear leg room!
By rj

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Getting 26mpg at steady speed of 62mph. I assume those getting better mileage have 2wd version. Performance adequate. Main reason to purchase this car was that leg room in rear seat, even with driver seat back, is excellent. We were unable to find any other sedan with enough leg room that even average adults can ride in the back seat for extended trips. They all seem to have yielded this market to mini-vans, which I don't car for. Can't figure out lack of automatic headlight switch. Even our $10,000 cheaper Chevy Cobalt had that! Now we are out of the habit of turning on lights at dusk and catch ourselves driving with them off at unsafe times. Nature's ugliest shade of brown on dash.

Favorite Features

Rear leg room! AWD in a sedan for road safety. Seems to be a very safe design with side airbags, handling features.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable seats, ie: lumbar adjustments. Auto headlights! Different shade of brown on dash. Easier sequence to disable seat belt chime. Requires 9 seat belt connects/disconnects within so many seconds!

Excellent car
By 08TaurusMO

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought as a replacement for my gas hog, it was like getting a raise! 24- 27 mixed driving. I am 6-2 280 and full size teen agers, all fit with room to spare, more than my Tahoe had! So far never back to dealer for anything. Has been an excellent car!

Favorite Features

Room in car is great, plenty in front AND back

Suggested Improvements

Maybe has a little rental car to much in its blood, oh well, it is what it is..........

Disapointed
By Disapointed

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my Taurus SEL for 1 year and 2 months and put 17K miles on it. Other than the engine noise around town & the reliability, I like the car, but the reliability is to the point I'm looking to buy Toyota or Honda. I get 24 on the highway, unlike 30+ as others say. The good: Nice design. Nice interior. Nice headroom. Good long distance car. The bad: In the year I had it, it's now been in the shop 8 times to fix problems. Currently in shop for 2 days to fix loud tapping noise when air is turned on/off. Last week it was in shop for 2 days to replace bearings on struts. A month before, replaced other bearings..all for squeak/grinding noise. Replaced rubber seal around door.

Favorite Features

Replaced light bulbs in fron and back. The very next day after I bought the car, light went out on foglamp!

Suggested Improvements

Improve the build quality and reliability. Too many little things are going wrong and although it's currently covered under warranty, I'm scared to death thinking of the cost of parts & and labor at $103/hour to fix this stuff after warranty. No more Fords for me!

Its back,and its american.
By john olsen

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We still own a 1994 taurus, and when we need a new car we bought this one. My what a great car, and its american. It is very quiet which was one of the most important factors as we looked around. The new engine seems to have plenty of power. The only thing I don't like is, I wish it had more room for your feet. Other than that the steering wheel tilt is kind of strange, two postions. My old Taurus has more.

Favorite Features

Outside temp reading, interior, smoothness of the transmission. This is a great looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Foot room