2008 Ford Taurus SEL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2008 Taurus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Sort Reviews by

Pleasant Surprise
By JWW

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I bought a used '08 Taurus with 1K miles. I think that this is a very underrated car. The interior is well finished with lots of features. Power is decent and fuel economy is better than expected. This is a lot of value for a VERY affordable price. It is a better car than Camry and Altima. It is very spacious in both interior and trunk. Drive one before you buy Japanese and you might be in for a surprise.

Favorite Features

Good engine performance/economy. I like the space and price for what you get. The interior is much nicer than Japanese competition with leather, dual A/C and CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

The car needs a telescoping steering column for tall drivers. Styling is bland but the new changes for 2010 will fix that.

I Like the Style
By Dave

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've only had this car now for five weeks, and I'm really getting to enjoy its comfortable ride. Although I'm the only one in the household, I chose this vehicle because of its high rating, its likable style, in and out. It's a fun car to drive and can't wait to take it on a trip. MPG for me are 24 mixed city/highway, hoping for 30+ on the highway.

Favorite Features

I love the 6-CD audio system, the cream-colored leather seats (that was a must for me), and the higher- positioned seat.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see more leg room, widthwise, on the driver's side. It's too much like a mummy-shaped sleeping bag down at the foot pedals; it narrows too much. Make it wider in that area. In addition, the steering wheel is a little too far away with the seat back for me because of my height.

Excellent car
By 08TaurusMO

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought as a replacement for my gas hog, it was like getting a raise! 24- 27 mixed driving. I am 6-2 280 and full size teen agers, all fit with room to spare, more than my Tahoe had! So far never back to dealer for anything. Has been an excellent car!

Favorite Features

Room in car is great, plenty in front AND back

Suggested Improvements

Maybe has a little rental car to much in its blood, oh well, it is what it is..........

Disapointed
By Disapointed

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had my Taurus SEL for 1 year and 2 months and put 17K miles on it. Other than the engine noise around town & the reliability, I like the car, but the reliability is to the point I'm looking to buy Toyota or Honda. I get 24 on the highway, unlike 30+ as others say. The good: Nice design. Nice interior. Nice headroom. Good long distance car. The bad: In the year I had it, it's now been in the shop 8 times to fix problems. Currently in shop for 2 days to fix loud tapping noise when air is turned on/off. Last week it was in shop for 2 days to replace bearings on struts. A month before, replaced other bearings..all for squeak/grinding noise. Replaced rubber seal around door.

Favorite Features

Replaced light bulbs in fron and back. The very next day after I bought the car, light went out on foglamp!

Suggested Improvements

Improve the build quality and reliability. Too many little things are going wrong and although it's currently covered under warranty, I'm scared to death thinking of the cost of parts & and labor at $103/hour to fix this stuff after warranty. No more Fords for me!

Its back,and its american.
By john olsen

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We still own a 1994 taurus, and when we need a new car we bought this one. My what a great car, and its american. It is very quiet which was one of the most important factors as we looked around. The new engine seems to have plenty of power. The only thing I don't like is, I wish it had more room for your feet. Other than that the steering wheel tilt is kind of strange, two postions. My old Taurus has more.

Favorite Features

Outside temp reading, interior, smoothness of the transmission. This is a great looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Foot room

Definitely Drive One
By RS

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

What a wonderful car! Always liked the look of the 500 (more so the Taurus) and the safety features on this car are second to none. I have the Safety/Security Package, Comfort/Convenience Package, and the Reverse Sensing System. All of which were absolutely worth it. Looking for something to stuff a couple of child seats into and lug around the necessary stuff too. My friends chuckled at me when I got it. That is until I took them for a spin in it and then it was, "Wow!". My wife liked it so much, she went out and got a Taurus X a month later. Fords have come a long, long way and their tag line is spot on. Drive one, indeed.

Favorite Features

Safety, visibility, "Command Seating", gobs of room, smoooooth ride, and super-duper quiet. The engine's got plenty of pep, and shifts smoothly too. Gets an acceptable 24 mpg in mixed driving but it's a big V6 for Pete's sake, not a hybrid!

Suggested Improvements

Tilt/telescoping steering wheel and the radio's just so-so.

It's still a Ford
By GD

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

While it's a sharp looking car, it's still a Ford. Disappointing highway mileage (26 mpg) is the biggest issue to me. Engine noise is a little to high and the interior quality looked a little cheap, and my cloth seats and plastic trim are already showing signs of wear and I take care of this car! I'm having transmission shift problems (as is another person I know who has one) and the car just developed a coolant leak that the dealer had to put dye in the coolant to find out where it's coming from. It is a sharp looking car though!

Favorite Features

Sharp looking, very European. Huge trunk with folddown rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mpg, smoother transmission shifting, and overall build quality

Safe yet fun
By KnBama

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Wow. Lots of room! I have the leather trim and moonroof which adds to the comfort. The trunk space is awesome for bat bags and luggage. If you need a safe full size sedan this is a great choice

Favorite Features

On steering wheel radio controls. Roominess

Suggested Improvements

I end up turning on the wash wipers when I use the signal, touchy Wing spoiler would be fun

2008 Taurus is Great!
By Ray Eberly

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Quiet, comfortable, responsive, good looking, and excellent gas mileage (getting 32 highway). Very smooth ride on the 18" wheels. Excellent visibility with high seating. Build quality is excellent, no problems whatsoever.

Favorite Features

Sirius satelite radio works great with steering wheel controls. Portable Garmin naviagation sound is excellent using line In. Moonroof

Suggested Improvements

Instantaneous mpg display. Outside temperature display on SEL.

Fantastic Value
By TheGraduate

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

More than enough power. Shifts are incredibly smooth; smoother than the 2008 LE-V6 Camry I drove recently; probably the smoothest transmission I've ever experienced, actually. Engine noise is very muted; most of what you do hear is the exhaust note, which is quiet, but has a nice sound to it, very smooth yet husky. Handling is secure, and the ride is very smooth without being floaty. Brakes respond nicely, without much extra pedal travel. Sync is a pleasure. Seats are broad and supportive, but lack much side bolstering. Makes for easy entry/exit but doesn't hold you tight in corners. The leather is soft and perforated. Stereo sound quality from the more basic 6CD system is great.

Favorite Features

SYNC, automatic headlamps, keypad entry on door, 263 hp with a true 28 mpg highway (recently took a 300 mile trip and averaged that, and it's not even broken in yet with only 400 miles on it). Dual climate control,

Suggested Improvements

Lighted glovebox. Sync controls replace volume controls on the steering wheel. Ford still allow volume control from the wheel with Sync. Fully adjustable rear-headrests should be included on the SEL, not just the Limited. Allow more gear selection options than just "D" and "L".