Used 2008 Ford Taurus SEL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Taurus

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Ford has outdone themselves :D
By Mack

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I just purchased this car 4 days ago and I love it! At first I was iffy because of the past Taurus', but this one hasn't failed me! I love it! It has been getting great gas mileage, very roomy, the stereo is great w/ the 6 CD changer, the wood like finish, the 8 cup holders, and the storage! I love the way it looks inside and out! It's the perfect car for those who don't want the 4 cylinder or a V8! I searched for the car for me and this was it. I didn't go out of what was hot this year, but out of comfort and my likings. This fit everything. The style and comfort! I'm a V8 owner of a Ford Explorer XLT, and I love this V6 Taurus SEL. It gets me great gas mileage and saves me money!

Favorite Features

All the space it has, the interior design, the seating, all 8 cup holders, the stereo system, the V6 engine, the overall comfort of it! I feel that I can keep this car when I start having kids and still rely on it :D :D

Suggested Improvements

The seat sits too far from the steering wheel, even if you do tilt it and move the seat up to your comfort. The seat adjustments. I love that it's power, but I don't like the way it moves when trying to adjust the back, it's not comfortable.

Poor mileage/interior cabin noise
By Frank

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I am flabbergasted, all these people stating outstanding mileage. it doesn't sound like my Ford Taurus SEL 2008. I am a conservative driver and this car has not given me l8mpg in the city I usually get about 14 mpg. When I drive out to Valley Stream (Nassau County) I might get 17 mpg, averaging 55 mph. Did Ford put the wrong nameplate on this car? (Joke) This car is comfortable, the interior and trunk space are great. Regarding the quietness in the cabin, only on pristine roadways. In the Bronx we have many roads that are not too pristine, the roadway bumps and noise invade the cabin mercilessly, which makes listening to the radio next to impossible.

Favorite Features

Seating up high, good visibility. Engine compartment, can see very easily what liquids need filling.

Suggested Improvements

Wish that the doors would automatically lock after several minutes. As it is now the doors close after a 1/4 mile when driving.

My Taurus
By jaredb

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I liked the Taurus from the first time I saw it. Not impressed with the gas mileage though. I average 18mpg. The engine is strong, smooth ride, plenty of interior room and trunk space, nice stitching on the seats. The stitching is darker than the camel color seats I have which makes cleaning easier. The trunk space has as much room as my 2007 Explorer minus the height. I am totally satisfied with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

The interior and trunk space is awesome. The 18" wheels are cool. Cupholders for everyone!

Suggested Improvements

More mpg's would be great. I got rid of my 2007 Explorer to save gas but virtually to no avail. Still glad I bought this vehicle though. The trunk needs to actually lift open after popping it. Rear deck speakers should be added along with the door speakers.

My second Taurus
By Danny J.

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My first Taurus was a 97 model. It currently has over 215k miles on it with no major issues and is still going strong(we did not trade it in). That's the main reason we decided on the Taurus when it was time for another vehicle. We have only had it a few months but we are well pleased with the new design. It's comfortable on long trips even for my 6ft frame and is a pleasure to drive. The dual air, multi disk cd changer and other new amenities make road trips much more comfortable. The huge trunk also makes it easier to bring everything we need.

Favorite Features

Large trunk, comfortable seats with lumber adjustment, plenty of cup holders front and back, Power Moon Roof and putting the Power supply and accessory plug in for MP3 player inside the center console keeps everything out of the way while you are driving.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt steering and increasing the fuel economy would be nice. We are averaging 24 with mixed city/hwy driving. That's about the only thing on the car that's average in my opinion.

Not your old Taurus
By Gary in WI

2008 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a one year old Taurus SEL with leather and the major convenience group (auto climate control, 6 CD changer etc.). Overall, I have been extremely pleased with the car -- absolutely no problems. I have a couple of previous Tauruses, most recently an '06 SEL and there is no comparison to the current version. The older cars were OK, but they were basically appliances to get you from point A to point B. The current version is much more refined, favorably comparing to near-luxury cars such as the Toyota Avalon and for a bargain price! (No kidding, when guests ride in the car, they are surprised to find out it's a Taurus).

Favorite Features

Maybe, I'm getting old (55), but I do like to upright driving position. Some people have commented on the fuddy-duddy appearance, but I like the clean look (kind of like a large VW Passat)

Suggested Improvements

These are minor complaints: 1) Can't see the corners of car when parking. 2) Needs standard side moldings. 3) Dash dials look dated 4) Truck release does not "pop" the truck enough