Used 2008 Ford Taurus SEL Sedan Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Great Cruiser
By Mark Bu

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

The Taurus line is know to be reliable and safe. I purchased this 2008 Ford Taurus (SEL) 3.5 Lt to offer long term reliability while getting a low purchase price. Car at 67,000 miles (less than 1 month of purchase) does NOT have a working A/C system. Currently at dealer I purchased hoping they can find the source of leak.
I purchased lower profile and wider tires as it felt boaty and a slight rock back and forth. Changing the tires to top of the line - Continental Grand Touring Pure-Contact tires made a hugh difference in feeling solid and no sway feel.
After driving it around for one month, I would have to say this would be a great cruising car on the highways. It is very solid, sound proof and is so comfortable inside. However, to be used around town or to zip in and out of traffic, this car is NOT. Mileage is not very good in my book but for a 2008 it actually is good if that makes sense. If used on the highway, I am sure is would get 25-26 miles per gallon. True round the town is probably in the 20 mpg range.
One thing I did notice about this car was the extensive rusting of the cars frame. I believe I read about this before buying this car. I placed it on the dealers lift before buying and would have to say it is the worst rusting of any under belly of any car I have ever seen. Car was a one owner in the hills of PA. I will purchase spray cans of a very expensive product sold buy Eastwood to slow or stop the rusting process.
Again, I would purchase this car if you don't have to drive much and if you did, it should be a highway vehicle to get the most out of your money.

beware used
By Mark

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Many issues with steering rack with this car. Did not show up on research until specifically looked for steering issues. Loose all power steering and extremly difficukt to make turns. This is common problem and ford refuses to issue recall. Had to have replaced 6 months after purchase last year. Avoid this veichle.

Florida tripper
By Cliff

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We bought this car with 136000 miles and had it 2 weeks and took a 4300 mile trip to Florida. We got great mileage, up wards of 34 mpg, and at 6'2" I found the car to be very comfortable. Just don't try to sleep in it overnight... The car performed flawlessly, smooth shifting, took mountains like they weren't even there. If you are looking for that big car feel GET ONE. Had a tough winter here in Wisconsin and the Taurus did great. It went thru snow and ice very well, the traction control kept me feeling very safe. We have almost 146000 now and still running great.

Excellent Large Sedan
By snarlyyow

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I had originally intended to purchase a Honda Fit from the used car dealer. One thing led to another and I dug this Taurus sitting on the lot. It was a handsome design and, honest to God, I didn't even know they still made Taurus'. I did some homework and bought the car a few days later with just over 80k on the engine.

It's been over a year since then I've put nearly 40k on the engine in the last 15 months. The Taurus has been through its paces, that's fer sure. And at this point I think I can give it a half decent review.

Pros: It's been totally reliable. I've recorded 26 mpg with the AC running. And it looks real nice washed up.

Cons: It's abundantly dull to drive.

I love how much room the Taurus has. I'm never embarrassed to ask adults to sit in the large back seats. The trunk is massive, so large that I don't clean it nearly as often as I should. And, as I said before, it looks great even after five years on the market. Apparently it's also really safe though I've luckily not had to test that feature. It has some power if you ask it to but it doesn't seem to like it much. It's much happier to cruise and rides like a champ.

I'm short and the seats on long drives can get uncomfortable.

Best car I have owned
By 32cars

2008 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 2 years, about 30,000 miles and still love it.
On a trip with 4 people, and all the luggage, we got 28 mpg, although around town it is more like 22-23 mpg.
My 6'3" son can sit behind me with my seat all the way back and his knees do not touch the front seat.
This is my 32nd vehicle, and it is my favorite (although my Suburban Z-71 is great also, but that is more of a truck).
It has been reliable, very fun to drive.
My previous favorite car was an older Volvo that I bought new, this one has even better design, more power, better gas mileage, and shares the high seating that seems safer on the road today.
Have not found anything I am not happy with on this car!

Interior space and finish. Power MPG Looks over all and interior Huge Trunk Large gas tank 20 gal. Good visibility ease of entry and exit

Had to buy an aftermarked adapter to have my iPod show up on the radio and work with the steering wheel controls.