Not bad for the money
By RandyM on
2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
This is my third Taurus (1994, 1999, 2003). No major reliability problems. Very few minor ones. The 2003's handling isn't as good as the '99's, but it is roomy, comfortable, and well built. Safety ratings are impressive. Base Vulcan engine is a little weak at mid-range with AC on, but I'm not convinced the DOHC optional engine is dramatically better. My early 2003 has a lot of goodies such as puddle lights under the outside mirrors, a windshield tint bar, chrome inside door handles, and reasonably good interior materials. Ford nixed these and others on late '03's and the '04's. My friends like the car's styling and interior room.
Favorite Features
Price--I bought my '03 for under $16,000. You can hardly buy a Honda Civic for that. Interior room. Bigger than its Japanese peers. Dealer Service. Ford's tech service training and support is first rate. They fix it the first time. My Ford shop tries hard to keep me happy.
Suggested Improvements
Resale value is hideous. Keep the car for a long time and you'll beat this problem. It's too bad Ford didn't do better at updating the Taurus. The Ford Five Hundred's interior room is about the same as the Taurus. Check Ford's specifications.