Used 2005 Ford Taurus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

Don't Buy Flex-Fuel Version
By desoto44

2005 Ford Taurus SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this as a program car with 22,000 miles on it in October 2005. My biggest complaint is the poor mileage of the flex fuel version. I was very satisfied with a nearly identical (regular fuel only) 99 Taurus I owned. The 99 Taurus got about 20 city/ 26 highway MPG. This car struggles to get 20 MPG on the highway. I took it back to the dealer and the explanation was flex fuel cars are designed to run hotter and thus use more fuel. In short, there was nothing that could be done to improve the 20-25% drop in MPG. Other than that I like everything else about the car, but I would not have purchased this car had I known about the comparatively terrible MPG.

Styling, interior room, reliability, quality.

Poor mileage. Ride could be a little smoother.

TTU Fan
By drc1

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have just traded for an '05 Taurus. First one I've had. Bought it used with 57,000 miles. Looks like all of the reviews are great. Looks like no one had any transmission problems. That always a concern when buying a used car. It rides great and getting 18mpg so far. Not too bad. Partly in town and out. Got a great trade in deal. Seems like the Taurus does have have a good trade in value. Bought it at the end of the month. Maybe that was the reason.

Cup holders, engine performance, dash panel.

None so far

First Taurus
By First time owner

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission replaced at 26,000. New Ball joints at 30,000, brakes repaired twice, electrical problem with transmission, all repaired under warranty. Ford dealership that did the work was really good. If I buy a Ford again it will be because of the dealership. Car appears ok now, bought it used with 10,000 miles on it so it may have had rough use. Car is a little noisy on the highway, rear side visibility somewhat restricted. Car air and heat work good. Mileage about 27 to 30 on highway.

Information given on status on engine and transmission given on dash. Has room for 6.

Get that quality up a little

I was warned
By Gary

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used with 12000 miles and still under factory warranty. AC wasn't working, needed seal put in. Gas gauge started to flucuate between empty and full along with display message of fuel comp error. Took 4 trips to dealership to fix. Once when I was discussing with a customer his scan tool he had sent in for repair at my job I mentioned I tested his tool on my Taurus. He said, " your tranny and one motor mount will go bad". 6 months later tranny went out at 36200 miles. Ford dealership said it was a stripped pump shaft in torque converter. I get about 29-30 mpg highway with the 3.0L six, but just don't trust the car anymore, will probably trade it soon.

When working, decent car

No More Fords!
By ShaylaD

2005 Ford Taurus SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in July of 2005 with about 20,000 miles on it. I needed something dependable so I figured that this was a great choice. I've always loved the way that bigger cars handled and I liked the look of the car. Worst car purchase so far. I had to replace the transmission at 70,000 miles(I got lucky, other consumers had to replace theirs at 40,000 miles), the air compressor and serpentine belt at around 40,000.

It is a nice looking car, very roomy and not too bad a ride.

Improve the gas mileage. Ford is aware of the transmission problems but will not fix them!

• SUV