Used 2005 Ford Taurus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Taurus - Consumer Reviews

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Taurus model:

First Taurus
By First time owner

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Transmission replaced at 26,000. New Ball joints at 30,000, brakes repaired twice, electrical problem with transmission, all repaired under warranty. Ford dealership that did the work was really good. If I buy a Ford again it will be because of the dealership. Car appears ok now, bought it used with 10,000 miles on it so it may have had rough use. Car is a little noisy on the highway, rear side visibility somewhat restricted. Car air and heat work good. Mileage about 27 to 30 on highway.

Favorite Features

Information given on status on engine and transmission given on dash. Has room for 6.

Suggested Improvements

Get that quality up a little

I was warned
By Gary

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used with 12000 miles and still under factory warranty. AC wasn't working, needed seal put in. Gas gauge started to flucuate between empty and full along with display message of fuel comp error. Took 4 trips to dealership to fix. Once when I was discussing with a customer his scan tool he had sent in for repair at my job I mentioned I tested his tool on my Taurus. He said, " your tranny and one motor mount will go bad". 6 months later tranny went out at 36200 miles. Ford dealership said it was a stripped pump shaft in torque converter. I get about 29-30 mpg highway with the 3.0L six, but just don't trust the car anymore, will probably trade it soon.

Favorite Features

When working, decent car

No More Fords!
By ShaylaD

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in July of 2005 with about 20,000 miles on it. I needed something dependable so I figured that this was a great choice. I've always loved the way that bigger cars handled and I liked the look of the car. Worst car purchase so far. I had to replace the transmission at 70,000 miles(I got lucky, other consumers had to replace theirs at 40,000 miles), the air compressor and serpentine belt at around 40,000.

Favorite Features

It is a nice looking car, very roomy and not too bad a ride.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the gas mileage. Ford is aware of the transmission problems but will not fix them!

Disappointed With MPG
By desoto44

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this SEL model in October 2005 with 22,000 miles on it. I am very happy with the quality and styling of this car, but am extremely disappointed with the MPG and ride. I have an identical 99 Taurus that gets 25 MPG city/highway. The 05 struggles to get 20 MPG. The dealer told me the lower mileage was due to the fact this is a "Flex-Fuel" model, burns hotter, and nothing could be done to improve it. So buyer beware of Flex-Fuel models. Also the handling is great but you feel every bump. If I purchase another Taurus it will definitely not be a flex-fuel version.

Favorite Features

Quality has come a long way. Great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Warn customers that flex-fuel versions result in lower MPG. Smooth out ride when it comes to rough roads/bumps.

Can't beat the value
By DJ

2005 Ford Taurus Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Comfy (leather & power) seats, really smooth ride, quiet and good overall handling. Good ABS brakes and fwd is great in snow. Great hwy mpg at 27-29 with a/c going and going 75 mph! I bought this car because I had a 2001 Taurus I liked - person who bought it still drives it daily to work, no problems. I bought the 2005 SEL used for $13k with only 23k miles and only 2 yrs old. Much better deal than any Honda or Toyota, and it will cost me less overall, and not rattle like those foreign cars when it has 100k + miles on it. Great quality and value in this car! I like that its a sleeper - no cops. Old, middle aged or young, rich or poor, people can all drive this car and look OK doing so.

Favorite Features

The ride is so nice and seats are comfy (great on long trips) - the car does everything so well that it is an easy car to live with day in and day out. Great trunk space for groceries, sports activities. Seats 6 comfortably and again, gets great mileage for a big car. I like that its American made!

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of those loud noises that come on when 1.you start car and parking brake is still engaged or 2.your door is open, or 3.when passenger has yet to put their seatbelt on! Those beeps are downright annoying!